2019 - 2020 projector releases ?

57 minutes ago, Spizz said:

Any update on local availability of the new JVCs?

Nothing yet. I spoke with my dealer who is going to get an update from their JVC rep.

It's disappointing that the new native 4K line has started delivery in Europe and the US, but there's nothing here in Australia yet...

In the interim I got tired waiting and bought a new subwoofer to replace my old Martin Logan Depth Sub :)

http://intl.jlaudio.com/f113v2-gloss-home-audio-fathom-v2-powered-subwoofers-96142

Should do the trick :laugh: 

I hope for angry letters from my neighbours!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wasnt referring to the offer potentially determining your projector choice. However, for someone on the fence, this could very well tilt the decision in favour of the Sony... 

Everything is a consideration 

Let’s see some upcoming comparisons and real reviews on real machines, not the pre production models floating around.
I for one wouldn’t make a decision based on a very basic small tv.

looks like the jvc bugs have surfaced....

quoting DJ dee from norway on HDR,

"Checked also with HDR same type patterns HDR10 and same result, even some visible change with iris at wide open , At iris -8 you see drastic gamma change, and the picture gets purple/blue ish. With SDR it got more yellow.
Then the same with autoiris 1 or 2 ON. So after what I see, I will say useless with Auto iris engaged.

So JVC need to fix this, this will become a huge problem for new owners."

and BruceJK in toronto, I believe this impacts both SDR and HDR so no dynamic iris on either if going 

"There is a bug in the dynamic iris functioning in both the NX7 and NX9 using software V1.16 which is in the initial production release. Unfortunate but the fix likely involves just a few lines of code and can be done in a firmware update. In the interim the projectors are completely usable (and quite spectacular really) with the dynamic iris disabled.

The problem only occurs if the manual iris setting is below zero (ie: less than fully open) which is why I didn't notice in HDR mode initially because I had the iris at zero."

I believe this impacts both SDR and HDR so no dynamic iris on either if going to set iris to anything bar fully open.

which is crazy that this has slipped through. and while useable this is less than ideal. I posted here long time back that if getting these new JVC expect to be be a beta tester. I do hope get resolved. I believe us shipments have stopped. ours here never got started so non issue at the present. 

with our delayed release this can work to advantage....as hopefully the first batch comes with this issue resolved.

other than that, apart from some close to the screen imperfections, from what I can read from the reports these new projectors are pretty great otherwise. 

not to say those just buying older previous gen wouldnt be happy with what have. or those taking the sony non beta testing option :D 

• Like 1

To everyone who's been following the user impressions thread on avs, do you think that the softness of NX9 is bad enough that it negates the benefit of going from eshift 4k to native 4k? 

Kinda hesitant to post the question there since a lot of people there are just hand waving these shortcomings away. 

We have 3 N7's coming in the first shipment later this month, these are all pre sold by me and one is my demo unit.

There are about 2 white and 2 black N5's coming, most of these are pre sold also.

2 NX9's coming.

Because of the schedule at the time, with the new models being tooled up and lots of time going into that and because nobody foresaw the error that came up, nobody placed a production order for the X7900's either, so they are a while away, perhaps April and only IF they do produce these again. Right now I have JVC finding out if there are X7900's on the floor at JVC in Japan. Would be good to know either way as people are still keen on this model.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, waikis said:

To everyone who's been following the user impressions thread on avs, do you think that the softness of NX9 is bad enough that it negates the benefit of going from eshift 4k to native 4k? 

Kinda hesitant to post the question there since a lot of people there are just hand waving these shortcomings away. 

no idea as not seen in person. but from what can read thats right at screen not from viewing distance. so ... from back at main viewing position its quite likely a non event :) 

not sure ive seen ANY comparisons nx9 vs previous gen or anything :) 

1 hour ago, waikis said:

, do you think that the softness of NX9 is bad enough that it negates the benefit of going from eshift 4k to native 4k? 

Just to clarify......the NX9 CAN NOT by any means be considered "SOFT" !!!        ?         

39 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Just to clarify......the NX9 CAN NOT by any means be considered "SOFT" !!!        ?         

Well, relatively speaking of course : )

I use my PJ primarily for gaming, so pixel level sharpness is important to me.

I wouldn't want to upgrade my x7500 to N7 only to find that I can't enjoy the added details due to softer image. 

some comment from djdee on HDR on new jvc,

"Have to say that I said to my selves HDR not for projectors, but now I for shore have changed this statement.
So far have not put on a single HDR film that look just okey. It look to me like heaven  And that wont be much different on a N5 or N7. Like Lygren points out, some adjustments can also be made. And will have a great effect if you have larger screens, but so far with my screen have not seen "why" to do so when it looks F****** great. 

But the best thing here is that JVC has auto tone mapping, that actually work. I would not go in and adjust every time I shall se a movie. That will be to much work and I like to enjoy film not trying to get HDR look good. It shall look great without adjustments and it does for me, and im quit picky."

• Like 3

and also a follow up from BruceJK,

"I know this wasn't addressed to me but thought I might add my two cents after moving from an X750 (RS500) to an NX7 (RS2000).

"Holy crap, what the heck is going on here? - This looks amazing!! :D 

The improvements are readily apparent even on 1080P SDR and the 4K HDR is to die for."

Good we are starting to get some impressions watching actual material and for both SDR and HDR 1080p & 4K :)

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, betty boop said:

some comment from djdee on HDR on new jvc,

"Have to say that I said to my selves HDR not for projectors, but now I for shore have changed this statement.
So far have not put on a single HDR film that look just okey. It look to me like heaven  And that wont be much different on a N5 or N7. Like Lygren points out, some adjustments can also be made. And will have a great effect if you have larger screens, but so far with my screen have not seen "why" to do so when it looks F****** great. 

But the best thing here is that JVC has auto tone mapping, that actually work. I would not go in and adjust every time I shall se a movie. That will be to much work and I like to enjoy film not trying to get HDR look good. It shall look great without adjustments and it does for me, and im quit picky."

25 minutes ago, betty boop said:

and also a follow up from BruceJK,

"I know this wasn't addressed to me but thought I might add my two cents after moving from an X750 (RS500) to an NX7 (RS2000).

"Holy crap, what the heck is going on here? - This looks amazing!! :D 

The improvements are readily apparent even on 1080P SDR and the 4K HDR is to die for."

Good we are starting to get some impressions watching actual material and for both SDR and HDR 1080p & 4K :)

Yeah, I've been following the (very fast moving) AVS Forum Official Owners thread for the N5/N7/NX9 and saw those comments.

Bodes well, very well, for the performance of these new projectors., especially the implementation of the tone mapping for HDR content. To be honest comments like these, although subjective and subject to many variables, mean a lot to me, maybe as much as (or possibly more than) the objective measures (lumen output, contrast ratios etc.). 

Anyhow, I'll keep myself distracted by continuing to follow the AVS Owners thread (and this one) while I wait for my N7 to arrive... *sigh* 

Can't be far away now ? Hopefully they'll fix the DI bug in firmware before I get it :laugh:

Edited by Davo1972
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

Yeah, I've been following the (very fast moving) AVS Forum Official Owners thread for the N5/N7/NX9 and saw those comments.

Bodes well, very well, for the performance of these new projectors., especially the implementation of the tone mapping for HDR content. To be honest comments like these, although subjective and subject to many variables, mean a lot to me, maybe as much as (or possibly more than) the objective measures (lumen output, contrast ratios etc.). 

Anyhow, I'll keep myself distracted by continuing to follow the AVS Owners thread (and this one) while I wait for my N7 to arrive... *sigh* 

Can't be far away now ? Hopefully they'll fix the DI bug in firmware before I get it :laugh:

when we got our x7000 it had a bug fix before we got ours. so fingers crossed davo. I just hope they have the bug fix implemented as well. as hope firmware updating is easy peasy now they have the usb port. though have not heard any feedback on that process. though am sure once update comes through we will :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

when we got our x7000 it had a bug fix before we got ours. so fingers crossed davo. I just hope they have the bug fix implemented as well. as hope firmware updating is easy peasy now they have the usb port. though have not heard any feedback on that process. though am sure once update comes through we will :)

That's what makes me want to hit the "ignore" button on so many of the AVS contributors.

Seriously, people are questioning whether the entire range is a "lemon" and to be avoided. There are probably only 5 or 6 people that have actually even received their machines in the last 3 or 4 days........ WTF!!!!!!!!!

Sure the DI failure for non-zero iris settings is a major gaff by JVC, but if you want to live on the bleeding edge you've got to expect "teething issues".

If that is unacceptable to you, then don't put your hand up to be one of the first owners.

As mentioned on numerous occasions by us early adopters of the Xx000 series, the first few months of HDR were a nightmare. And JVC Australia didn't have a clue about any of the issues. Most stuff was eventually fixed, but to be frank, JVC were pretty miserly with the firmware updates. The fact that Gamma D was never fixed properly for Tone Mapping is a complete travesty.

As Woofer's DI appears to be working properly for his NX9 ( correct me if I'm wrong there), then it would appear that the shipment delay resulted in them fixing one thing , but breaking another. So a firmware fix for the DI hopefully isn't too difficult.

Good God, could you imagine being a "punter" and walking in to a B&M store and buying a projector and trying to set it up.

If the "experts" have issues the general public would have no idea.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IMDave said:

As Woofer's DI appears to be working properly for his NX9 ( correct me if I'm wrong there), then it would appear that the shipment delay resulted in them fixing one thing , but breaking another.

Yes, as i said it worked before...it WILL work again. ( DI) 

Look at the Z1 on launch........utter piece of "SH*T"  .......JVC fixed the issues , i now own one...and you could NOT persuade me to part with it for anything...:)

Edited by wooferocau
  • Like 6

• Administrator
On 17/12/2018 at 2:51 PM, betty boop said:

anyone get around to see the new sony's in action, am pretty sure they had them around the country with the 870ES 570es and 270Es. while these public viewings are often a bit controlled in what can see, am sure still got some appreciation. 

anyone care to share their thoughts ? I didnt get around to seeing any of them unfortunately with a busy time of the year and with both work and family commitments. 

Set my new 270ES up this evening and watched 4K Black Panther. I'm coming from a BenQ 1080 so nowhere near as experienced as you guys, but my wife and I were blown away by the picture quality and particularly the clarity in the dark scenes. Very happy with the purchase which was too good to resist with free headphones and a Bravia TV at the moment!

• Like 2

Posted by one of the NX9 owners DJ Dee, on the AVS forums. There is a new firmware update which fixes the DI bug in the new JVC native 4K projectors! That was quick!! Kudos to JVC!

Edit: The firmware update also seems to have fixed some sharpness issues, with the NX9 anyway.

Got a new firmvare v1.17 to my serial nr now. Now the Auto 1 and 2 Iris Work smile.gif
Might also be other improvements, but don't know so far.
Also easy, USB in the projector, press update firmware in menu projector and done. estimated time of update 15 min.

I have reported back that it works, but I need some time to see if I can find any bugs. 
So I guess it will be available very soon.

Edited by Davo1972
  • Like 1

User that went from X750 to NX7....:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Bruce, please tell us more...which areas are you seeing it?
I originally decided to upgrade from the X750 to the NX7 for the 4K HDR benefits alone. This was due to the major headline changes of native 4K resolution and the auto tone mapping for HDR. I used custom curves on the X750 (3 curves for Dolby Cinema emulation) but felt that this could be better. Because the Apple TV 4K is my primary source the Panasonic 820 doesn't help me. 

I assumed that the best I could do for 1080P SDR on the NX7 was to equal the X750 and I actually expected the NX7 to lag behind a bit because of the lower rated on/off contrast.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The NX7 improves on the X750 in every way and the difference is clearly visible in everyday viewing. I'm not talking about pixel peeping at close distances but actually using it like a normal customer would. The new chassis must contain a lot of internal improvements over the previous lineup. Some of these may be small, subtle improvements but they all add up and the end result makes for amazing viewing.

Basically the image looks like a giant 110 inch 21:9 OLED all the time. I haven't seen a single flaw to mar the picture when viewing from 2X screen height which is really close. Nothing distracts you from the viewing experience.

1. The image is calm, crisp, and incredibly detailed.
2. No lamp flicker or video noise.
3. There is no streaking or ghosting visible on real world content from a normal viewing distance. Much better than my X750.
4. Overall contrast performance matches the X750.
5. Superb convergence even at 4K resolution.
6. No stuck pixels detected (out of 24 million!).
7. Motion is much better. I don't use CMD but even straight 24p telecine motion is noticeably cleaner.
8. The auto tone mapping for HDR is excellent. It's just plug and play assuming the metadata is decent and easy to adjust manually if its not.
9. The HDMI handshake is nearly twice as fast as the X750 and rock solid. I haven't had a single glitch or dropout on any source.
10. Build quality is high. Fit and finish is excellent though I do miss the high gloss black.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

according to lygren on abs, interesting post, tone mapping is where its at ..

"I guess I should underline that although I believe the N(x)7 looks better than even the VW5000 on certain types of content, this relates a whole lot to the problematic handling of HDR on the current generation of Sonys. Using a proper processor or madVR, for example, I am sure VW5000 would give the N7 a much harder time and for a lot of content - of course - crush the N7 / NX9 given its far higher lumens capacity as well as acceptable blacks... For ISE, though, the Alcons Pro Ribbon Experience demo will be fitted with the N(x)7, a 3,5m wide V6 (cinescope), and we will also bring and see if we can put to use the Panamorph DCR lens to get some added light output. 

For next year, however, Alcons might be back with Sony again, they just need to sort out HDR mapping, which in these shows at least - is very important as we need as few components as possible. As such, adding a video processor adds to setup time and complexity so we place a great amount of emphasis on working "as is". As such, these new JVC´s seems to do a great job, but I am also sure Sony will improve as even a 300USD UHD player from Panasonic can do a very good job on this matter. Truth be told; I am quite surprised Sony has not supplied a better internal system for HDR tone mapping yet, as I have stated before, this should have been implemented via a firmware update on their current lineup ASAP, not as a new feature for the next gen projectors... BUT - then again - I also have to agree that HDR in general has proven to be one of the worst new "formats" ever launch in terms of overall compatibility and industry planning in general - and Sony being a very serious player as such probably was not too keen or even able to do the required "hacking" / "patching" on the actual source material. Being true-to-source was probably not the most viable approach in terms of HDR and projection although I have to say - HDR now renders great on all content I have seen thus far on the N(x)7, so by distilling the goodies and balancing out the peaks JVC has - in my opinion - made out a great and highly universal platform on their new N-line of projectors! "

On 11/01/2019 at 11:19 PM, Marc said:

Set my new 270ES up this evening and watched 4K Black Panther. I'm coming from a BenQ 1080 so nowhere near as experienced as you guys, but my wife and I were blown away by the picture quality and particularly the clarity in the dark scenes. Very happy with the purchase which was too good to resist with free headphones and a Bravia TV at the moment!

That's great to hear. We are currently looking at our first foray into 4K PJ's with this unit and noticed that the Bravia/headphones offer, has been extended until late February :)

How have you mounted your 270? We use a Pivoting TV wall mount for our Panasonic 8000, but the Sony is another 6kg or so ?.

What length and brand of cable are you using? We currently have 3 x 10m HDMI cables (of the cheaper variety) in the HT, but I don't think that they will cut the mustard with 4K.

Thanks in advance for any response.

• Like 1

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, 709er said:

That's great to hear. We are currently looking at our first foray into 4K PJ's with this unit and noticed that the Bravia/headphones offer, has been extended until late February :)

How have you mounted your 270? We use a Pivoting TV wall mount for our Panasonic 8000, but the Sony is another 6kg or so ?.

What length and brand of cable are you using? We currently have 3 x 10m HDMI cables (of the cheaper variety) in the HT, but I don't think that they will cut the mustard with 4K.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Mounting is ultra-high-tech. It's perched upon a pair of KEF R11 loudspeakers boxes at the moment! :)

Mine is going on top of a built-in cabinet, so no need for a mount or worry about weight for me.

I'm using a 5m (AVR is nearby) high-speed cable from @EZYHD with no issues with 4K so far.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marc said:

Mounting is ultra-high-tech. It's perched upon a pair of KEF R11 loudspeakers boxes at the moment! :)

Mine is going on top of a built-in cabinet, so no need for a mount or worry about weight for me.

I'm using a 5m (AVR is nearby) high-speed cable from @EZYHD with no issues with 4K so far.

LOL.

I guess the cabling will be a "suck it and see" arrangement.

So glad that you are pleased with the PJ. I have really hung out for the reduced prices here, but now have so many 4K discs (wanting the Atmos tracks), that I can't wait any longer ?

Interested to hear any thoughts on the unit/set-up, as your journey continues.

hi Marc it is interesting when a member of the "entry" level projector world moves up.. a lot haha. it will be interesting to hear your feedback from that entry level to the sony. as a w1070/w1110 user and current viewsonic pro8100 i recently moved up to a epson 8200 (thanks to stereonet member ) it does give you a moment of "how can it be that much better?"

unfortunately you got the sony and this thread, although not noted, is actually for jvc owners haha. well thats how it seems anyway.. oh well thats how forums work i guess.

anyway Marc enjoy the sony and the tv and the headphones.. maybe jvc should have done that to sell their dlp.. sorry couldnt resist

as per my original post of this thread, all brands types are welcome. And we have plenty of that, and people will talk/comment/post about brands and such they want to. This is a general discussion thread for 2019 release projectors. have no doubt we will have owners threads that people will create if they see fit :)

some good feedback from brucejk on jvc n7 particularly on 3D performance, which is great to read, something important to me. I agree with his comments on the improvements I saw going from x35 to x7000 and sounds like the n7 improves on this further again :) 

"I watched Prometheus in 3D tonight and the NX7 is a champ at 3D as well. Crosstalk was virtually non-existent and less than I can remember from the X750 which was already good at this. My older X35 from 2012 really struggled with 3D - not enough lumens and quite a bit of crosstalk. The motion on the NX7 while playing 3D was also good but this is one situation where where I might want to use CMD on low.

When installing the 3D emitter be aware that it is mounted horizontally now because the back panel is recessed. Also, the 3D glasses are paired with the projector, not the emitter, so you will have to re-pair all your glasses."