The Hottest 100 won't be held on Australia Day next year

Do you agree with Triple J moving the Hottest 100 Countdown from Australia Day  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, crisis said:

That's me. And I'm happy with not thinking myself an Australian. Not even sure what being an "Australian" is or why I would ant to be thought of as one...

Don't let the door hit you on the way out

Back on the original subject! 2 years ago was my last JJJ AUSTRALIA DAY hottest 100 listening experience, thought it was tripe so just played my own oz music, Angels, Oils, Chisel etc all day, the stuff I grew up with, in AUSTRALIA, made me feel all warm and fuzzy to be AUSTRALIAN,......  ON AUSTRALIA DAY.!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, rantan said:

I think it is fair to say that most people think of themselves as having a nationality and I don't see why you would have a problem with that. It is merely a statement of fact

and doesn't imply any behavioural standard.

Of course, there will be those who assign certain characteristics to possession of any given nationality but a vernacular code of behaviour does not define nationality in itself.

Then what does it mean?

22 hours ago, swervyn said:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out

Not going anywhere.

Just now, crisis said:

Then what does it mean?

It is nothing more or less than a legal definition pertaining to your citizenship of the country in which you were born.

If people choose to ice the cake and put cherries on top that is their business

On 12/4/2017 at 1:02 PM, JSmith said:

:lol:

I think that boat sailed a few posts into the thread... attempts were made to bring the thread back on topic, but it didn't seem to work. :rolleyes:

Hottest 100 anyone? :ahappy:

JSmith :ninja:

I have recently started collecting the Hottest 100 CD's. They don't have a 100 songs on them. Should I ask for my money back?:ohmy:

• Haha 2

On 12/4/2017 at 5:35 PM, rantan said:

I think it is fair to say that most people think of themselves as having a nationality and I don't see why you would have a problem with that. It is merely a statement of fact

and doesn't imply any behavioural standard.

Of course, there will be those who assign certain characteristics to possession of any given nationality but a vernacular code of behaviour does not define nationality in itself.

On 12/5/2017 at 5:05 PM, rantan said:

It is nothing more or less than a legal definition pertaining to your citizenship of the country in which you were born.

If people choose to ice the cake and put cherries on top that is their business

But its not. How often do you hear the term "un-Australian" as though you should be ashamed of that? How many people from different countries think "their" nationality is the best? How often do you hear people being "proud" of "their" country? Nationalism is used to control, marginalise and manipulate the population just as the verboten topic is. It would be impossible for some people to kill others if they weren't fighting agaisnt a nationality who had been dehumanised because of where they came from.

Until we meet something from another planet I am from earth. :thumb:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, crisis said:

But its not. How often do you hear the term "un-Australian" as though you should be ashamed of that? How many people from different countries think "their" nationality is the best? How often do you hear people being "proud" of "their" country? Nationalism is used to control, marginalise and manipulate the population just as the verboten topic is. It would be impossible for some people to kill others if they weren't fighting agaisnt a nationality who had been dehumanised because of where they came from.

Until we meet something from another planet I am from earth. :thumb:

I think you are confusing nationalism for religious belief. 

Identifying yourself as coming from, or living on a continent or country is nothing to be ashamed of
Aliens land on earth, head alien says "kill all Americans" , ....."crisis" identifies as being Australian.....

11 minutes ago, swervyn said:

Aliens land on earth, head alien says "kill all Americans" , ....."crisis" identifies as being Australian.....

More than likely an alien wouldn't make any such distinction to start with.

The Aboriginal people probably thought the white people were aliens to start with. :blink:

Maybe JJ should have a retro hottest 100? :D

JSmith :ninja:

The Leftist paper “The Guardian” commissioned a national poll earlier this year about changing Australia Day.

85% wanted to keep it

87% of Immigrants wanted to keep it.

And only 31% of indigenous people felt negative about Australia Day.

Just thought I’d throw in some factual information.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

But aren't you afraid that they'll call you names?.............and ............GULP!.................you'll need counselling?

Being a middle class male whitey, I am struggling with the fact that even though I am apparently Satanic and the architect of all sorts of horrible inflictions on all walks of life every day that I wake up, television advertisements show me I haven't got the cognitive ability to change a nappy or drill a hole in the wall.

These are strange times for me. :D

• Like 4

On 12/6/2017 at 8:14 PM, swervyn said:

I think you are confusing nationalism for religious belief. 

At their worst they are very much the same. And both have been used to marginalise and dehumanise "enemies" and as an excuse for war.

Identifying yourself as coming from, or living on a continent or country is nothing to be ashamed of

I'm not "ashamed". I just don't wear it as a badge of honor.

Oh **** yeah. Take them, take them!

22 hours ago, proftournesol said:

Spoken with the confidence of a white middle-aged white man

:thumb:

14 hours ago, hugo_wilco said:

The Leftist paper “The Guardian” commissioned a national poll earlier this year about changing Australia Day.

85% wanted to keep it

87% of Immigrants wanted to keep it.

And only 31% of indigenous people felt negative about Australia Day.

Just thought I’d throw in some factual information.

No way! So you are saying the majority of people who descended from those who invaded Australia and became the dominant race want to keep it and a whole bunch of people who could care less about its history (and could even originate from a country that was also involved in colonisation) want to keep? That's opened my eyes.......

Why were the indigenous people asked a different question by the way?

13 hours ago, swervyn said:

The vocal minority never let facts stand in their way, unfortunately

That was a newspaper poll. I'm not sure how empirical that **** is as far as facts go.

11 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Being a middle class male whitey, I am struggling with the fact that even though I am apparently Satanic and the architect of all sorts of horrible inflictions on all walks of life every day that I wake up, television advertisements show me I haven't got the cognitive ability to change a nappy or drill a hole in the wall.

These are strange times for me. :D

I don't feel that I personally have any case to answer but I doubt that's the point.

I do agree there is a certain irony when it comes to portraying "men" in advertising these days. We are the butt of all jokes.

Edited by crisis
I cant spell
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, crisis said:

No. You just don't agree with it.

Agreed that Wimbo just doesn't agree with it.

These are my observation's and not criticism's,   it's difficult for me to agree/disagree with just about anything Wimbo post's in these types of discussions he makes statements like "Once again, load of crap"  with out explaining why or how he came to that conclusion or why we should agree/disagree with him that it's a quote "once again, a load of crap" and when asked (who, what when where or why) he replies in riddles,  it's very to clear to me where is coming from but,  can't for the life of me agree/disagree with anyone that can't/wont at least try to produce a convincing argument for the prosecution.

Edited by MC240
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, MC240 said:

Agreed that Wimbo just doesn't agree with it.

These are my observation's and not criticism's,   it's difficult for me to agree/disagree with just about anything Wimbo post's in these types of discussions he makes statements like "Once again, load of crap"  with out explaining why or how he came to that conclusion or why we should agree/disagree with him that it's a quote "once again, a load of crap" and when asked (who, what when where or why) he replies in riddles,  it's very to clear to me where is coming from but,  can't for the life of me agree/disagree with anyone that can't/wont at least try to produce a convincing argument for the prosecution.

I posted the list of convicts that showed up here back in 1788 at the beginning of this thread. Thats how I came to the conclusion that Invasion Day is a load of crap. I've also said that worse things have happened in this country. I've also said if you are so bleeding heart about this, go out to the Outback and help people teach their original language to the young ones.

You tend to pick and choose whats a riddle and whats not.

• Volunteer
15 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

I've also said if you are so bleeding heart about this, go out to the Outback and help people teach their original language to the young ones.

Just so I understand, are you saying that you can't feel empathy with the plight of others unless you are actively doing something to help them ?