The Hottest 100 won't be held on Australia Day next year

Do you agree with Triple J moving the Hottest 100 Countdown from Australia Day  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, JSmith said:

Is this different for any group of troubled youth though, regardless of race? ...generally these things come down to a lack of education, opportunity and a troubled/disadvantaged upbringing.

JSmith :ninja:

Only because the Police are scared of getting the old 'racial discrimination' call against them.

Same as the Muslim rape gangs in Britain are still getting away with it.

Have an enquiry..........arrest a few scapegoats..........then carry on business as usual.

Watch the Banking RC go the same way.

• Like 2

I feel there is some response needed to this attack

13 hours ago, Pops110 said:

You sir are an absolute twit.

Just a plain insult which I thought we banned from making

Its these kinds of attitudes and comments that are continually hurting attempts at reconciliation.

Attitudes and comments that would appear to be based on observation rather than assumptions and conclusions obtained from the sugar coated focus of the popular media who are quick to report stuff that the "government need to fix" but are reluctant to say "this is what the people need to fix" .............

Just because you have worked in remote communities doesn’t give you free reign to be a racist bigot.

What it does give you is a chance to observe first hand the day to day problematic behaviour which most people would call the police about if their next-door-neighbour in their "nice" suburb were doing it but will quite happily say if they see it on telly "O Gosh, it is terrible but it is not their fault" or worse "it is their culture" which I believe is patronizing paternalistic garbage ..... bad behaviour is bad ....... mmmmmmmmkay

Why do you think they are stealing cars and doing robberies? What have you done to help the situation?

Do tell ......... I would really love to hear why it is necessary to do these things ............ Is it OK to do these things if you are sufficiently disadvantaged ........... should no blame or responsibility be attached to people who do these things due the abovementioned racist bigots victimization of them ........

What is your ancestry by the way, would be interesting to know?

Cheers Dave 

Does the ancestry of a person make their opinion more, or less, valid  .......... or will he be less racist and bigoted in your eyes if he is not Anglo-Celtic ........ there is a possibility this may be the Pop calling the kettle ...................

Edited by Ancientflatulence
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ancientflatulence said:

I feel there is some response needed to this attack

Just a plain insult which I thought we banned from making

You’re correct, and I do apologise. It was a personal attack and I shouldn’t of made it.

But do you think his comments were  warranted or helpful? 

1 hour ago, Ancientflatulence said:

Attitudes and comments that would appear to be based on observation rather than assumptions and conclusions obtained from the sugar coated focus of the popular media who are quick to report stuff that the "government need to fix" but are reluctant to say "this is what the people need to fix" .............

What it does give you is a chance to observe first hand the day to day problematic behaviour which most people would call the police about if their next-door-neighbour in their "nice" suburb were doing it but will quite happily say if they see it on telly "O Gosh, it is terrible but it is not their fault" or worse "it is their culture" which I believe is patronizing paternalistic garbage ..... bad behaviour is bad ....... mmmmmmmmkay

I’m a 41 year old white Australian, born in Geraldton north of Perth.

Geraldton has a large aboriginal population of   Yamatji people. We had a Yamatji family living next to us for maybe 10 of the 20 years I lived in our family home. There was some good days and some bad, but that happens.

Growing up and into my 30’s I was very racist. A product of the town I grew up in, what I experienced as a child and the attitudes of family and friends. 

I used to be scared to go to high school. It was almost a weekly ritual , sometimes daily,to be threatened of being bashed or worse by the aboriginal kids.

It wasn’t just aboriginal people that I was taught to be afraid of, it was the “boat people “ , the wogs, the muslims etc etc

I agree that some of the things that cafe described can be confronting and having to deal with these on a weekly or daily basis is pretty hard. 

I have lived it pretty first hand for a lot of years and yet my attitude has changed, WHY?

Empathy, I empathise with their struggles, I try to put myself in their shoes. Not just aboriginal people but all marginalised people. Try and understand what’s it like to live the way they do.

Also through my own struggles with addiction in recent years. Gambling and alcohol addiction have almost torn my life apart in the last 5 or so years as some of you may be aware of my posts in the off the grog thread on SNA.

Im aware of the impact that alcohol can have on families and especially the children in those families. It is a hideous problem that can be passed down to others in the family. The drinking culture in my family and Geraldton in particular was exceptionally harmful. Drink to get drunk, was the name of the game. I picked up most of my fathers bad drinking habits. 

What has has also helped to change my views is the younger generation. My missus kids and their friends have a lot my empathy towards people, they don’t see race or gender or sexuality as much as we did growing up, they see human beings. 

The future does look good in their hands, I hope that next generation from them will be even more compassionate and understanding than them again.

To to be honest with you I don’t know what the answer is or how to fix it. I’ve tried to do my little bit to help a few people in need.

I have been a regular at one of the soup kitchens in Perth, not just for aboriginal people but for all disadvantaged people, they also have a great program for the children at schools that don’t get fed properly, or get any food to take to school. It’s pretty hard to learn when you have a hungry tummy.

I have also been a regular at an addiction program that helped me through my troubles, again not just aboriginal people but definitely a high percentage. A lot of the time court imposed and they don’t particularly want to be there but if I can make them feel more comfortable and positive hopefully it can make a little difference.

Drugs and alcohol play a major factor in the issues aboriginal people face but it is also more than that. 

How would you feel, when every day you step out your front door you are looked at and made to feel like a second class citizens. Like your not welcome in your own country. 

The argument that I hear all the time and has been mentioned in this thread is they get all these handouts, blah blah blah. Go and get a job.

How hard do you think it is to get a job when you’re aboriginal or Muslim for that matter?

Ask yourself this. Would I give an aboriginal person a job if they had exactly the same qualifications as a white person?

Would race or religion make a difference in that situation?

Why do I think aboriginal people or steal cars do break ins etc? The same reason white people do.

Low incomes, bad home life, being abused at home, trying to get money for drugs to try to escape reality for just a brief moment. Do I think this is ok ? 

No of course not, but it is reality and until more people empathise and understand this I don’t think things are going to change.

These people should be held accountable for their actions, but the court system and detention or jail or not the answer in a lot of cases and can and does make things worse.

Its no ones culture to steal and rob people, to say that is just ludicrous.

I think ancestry and the way you are bought up has a great deal to do with how “racist you are”. 

A lot of English people I know are some of the most racist people I have met. But so are a lot of aboriginal people, who are by definition very racist. Things need to change on both sides of the fence for things to improve. 

Do do I think that changing the date we celebrate this great land of ours will help?

Not really, but it may help a little. Little steps can lead to big changes in the future.

This whole thread was about the hottest 100 and should it be changed to another day? 

No I don’t think it should have because it has nothing to do with Australia Day, it was about music. 

Again in I apologise to Cafe , I shouldn’t have attacked him for his views.

Cheers Dave.

• Like 12

@Pops110  Thanks for that ......... I do see where you are coming from ........ people are people ........ some are nice ....... some aren't so nice  ....... and solutions to some problems seem to be impossible ........ and my post was not intended to denigrate you, as Prof's last post seems to suggest,  just to question the "you are utterly wrong and have no right to say what you did" feeling that I got from your response to Cafe's posts ............... :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

I used to be scared to go to high school. It was almost a weekly ritual , sometimes daily,to be threatened of being bashed or worse by the aboriginal kids.

I used  to be beaten up after school at the ages of 9 to 11 for being a Wog. My dad was Dutch/Australian and I inherited a Dutch name. I'm not a tough bastard but I used to put up with it until I was good enough to fight back and then King hit a few of them.(All British Backgrounds). Funny thing was my mothers side of the family had a bit of Koori in it plus Irish dating back a fair way. This aside, my Heritage and my nationality started back in 1788 and I still will not call that day, Invasion Day, as it wasnt. The Saudis attacking Yeman atm is an invasion. The **** invaded China etc, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ancientflatulence said:

@Pops110  Thanks for that ......... I do see where you are coming from ........ people are people ........ some are nice ....... some aren't so nice  ....... and solutions to some problems seem to be impossible ........ and my post was not intended to denigrate you, as Prof's last post seems to suggest,  just to question the "you are utterly wrong and have no right to say what you did" feeling that I got from your response to Cafe's posts ............... :)

Didn’t denigrate me mate. You called me out for being an rse. I deserved it. 

Hopefully I explained my position and how I came to it.

Cheers Dave 

• Like 2

Judging people on what they are instead of who they are is sheer folly and that way madness lies.  It is not all that long ago that pretty much the entire "white" world were at each others throats in not one but two successive wars within twenty years of each other. With literally millions and millions and millions of people killed. It failed the first time and the powers that be at the time thought it worth another shot, it has failed a number of times since.

To believe that we have reached a level of civilization that is unquestionable in its wisdom and a beacon to all others is an arrogance beyond belief. And considering alone the sheer waste of public money, incalculable amounts of money, that has been spent in the interim and continues to be spent in preparation for the next conflagration globally, puts the pittance of welfare cheaters truly in the shade.

To identify a people for their race and treat them accordingly will inevitably end in the most inhumane circumstances, it always does, it always will. But one shouldn't be too smug about it, because as they say "demography is destiny" and considering our "heritage" and "history" in the scheme of things the white man is but a small number against the rest and will eventually go the way of the mammoth.

And fate has a way of evening things out over the long run it has an awfully long memory.

• Like 2

Politics aside, I am deeply passionate about the Hottest 100 and I felt that having it on a public holiday was a sensible idea.  A considerable portion of their target demographic may work on a Saturday, so the public holiday is a blessing for them.  Other than that, I don't care for Australia Day - it's always been Triple J day for me and has no other significance.

This also messes up my plans for next year!

• Like 3

Judging people on what they are instead of who they are is sheer folly and that way madness lies.  It is not all that long ago that pretty much the entire "white" world were at each others throats in not one but two successive wars within twenty years of each other. With literally millions and millions and millions of people killed. It failed the first time and the powers that be at the time thought it worth another shot, it has failed a number of times since.

To believe that we have reached a level of civilization that is unquestionable in its wisdom and a beacon to all others is an arrogance beyond belief. And considering alone the sheer waste of public money, incalculable amounts of money, that has been spent in the interim and continues to be spent in preparation for the next conflagration globally, puts the pittance of welfare cheaters truly in the shade.

To identify a people for their race and treat them accordingly will inevitably end in the most inhumane circumstances, it always does, it always will. But one shouldn't be too smug about it, because as they say "demography is destiny" and considering our "heritage" and "history" in the scheme of things the white man is but a small number against the rest and will eventually go the way of the mammoth.

And fate has a way of evening things out over the long run it has an awfully long memory.

War is not the sole domain of the white man. The technology to wage war on a larger scale is something they do well however. No civilisation, regardless of colour, has been free of war, murder, ethnic cleansing and atrocity. History also has a long memory.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pops110 said:

You’re correct, and I do apologise. It was a personal attack and I shouldn’t of made it.

But do you think his comments were  warranted or helpful? 

I’m a 41 year old white Australian, born in Geraldton north of Perth.

Geraldton has a large aboriginal population of   Yamatji people. We had a Yamatji family living next to us for maybe 10 of the 20 years I lived in our family home. There was some good days and some bad, but that happens.

Growing up and into my 30’s I was very racist. A product of the town I grew up in, what I experienced as a child and the attitudes of family and friends. 

It wasn’t just aboriginal people that I was taught to be afraid of, it was the “boat people “ , the wogs, the muslims etc etc

I agree that some of the things that cafe described can be confronting and having to deal with these on a weekly or daily basis is pretty hard. 

I have lived it pretty first hand for a lot of years and yet my attitude has changed, WHY?

Empathy, I empathise with their struggles, I try to put myself in their shoes. Not just aboriginal people but all marginalised people. Try and understand what’s it like to live the way they do.

Also through my own struggles with addiction in recent years. Gambling and alcohol addiction have almost torn my life apart in the last 5 or so years as some of you may be aware of my posts in the off the grog thread on SNA.

Im aware of the impact that alcohol can have on families and especially the children in those families. It is a hideous problem that can be passed down to others in the family. The drinking culture in my family and Geraldton in particular was exceptionally harmful. Drink to get drunk, was the name of the game. I picked up most of my fathers bad drinking habits. 

What has has also helped to change my views is the younger generation. My missus kids and their friends have a lot my empathy towards people, they don’t see race or gender or sexuality as much as we did growing up, they see human beings. 

The future does look good in their hands, I hope that next generation from them will be even more compassionate and understanding than them again.

To to be honest with you I don’t know what the answer is or how to fix it. I’ve tried to do my little bit to help a few people in need.

I have been a regular at one of the soup kitchens in Perth, not just for aboriginal people but for all disadvantaged people, they also have a great program for the children at schools that don’t get fed properly, or get any food to take to school. It’s pretty hard to learn when you have a hungry tummy.

I have also been a regular at an addiction program that helped me through my troubles, again not just aboriginal people but definitely a high percentage. A lot of the time court imposed and they don’t particularly want to be there but if I can make them feel more comfortable and positive hopefully it can make a little difference.

Drugs and alcohol play a major factor in the issues aboriginal people face but it is also more than that. 

How would you feel, when every day you step out your front door you are looked at and made to feel like a second class citizens. Like your not welcome in your own country. 

The argument that I hear all the time and has been mentioned in this thread is they get all these handouts, blah blah blah. Go and get a job.

How hard do you think it is to get a job when you’re aboriginal or Muslim for that matter?

Ask yourself this. Would I give an aboriginal person a job if they had exactly the same qualifications as a white person?

Would race or religion make a difference in that situation?

Why do I think aboriginal people or steal cars do break ins etc? The same reason white people do.

Low incomes, bad home life, being abused at home, trying to get money for drugs to try to escape reality for just a brief moment. Do I think this is ok ? 

No of course not, but it is reality and until more people empathise and understand this I don’t think things are going to change.

These people should be held accountable for their actions, but the court system and detention or jail or not the answer in a lot of cases and can and does make things worse.

Its no ones culture to steal and rob people, to say that is just ludicrous.

I think ancestry and the way you are bought up has a great deal to do with how “racist you are”. 

A lot of English people I know are some of the most racist people I have met. But so are a lot of aboriginal people, who are by definition very racist. Things need to change on both sides of the fence for things to improve. 

Do do I think that changing the date we celebrate this great land of ours will help?

Not really, but it may help a little. Little steps can lead to big changes in the future.

This whole thread was about the hottest 100 and should it be changed to another day? 

No I don’t think it should have because it has nothing to do with Australia Day, it was about music. 

Again in I apologise to Cafe , I shouldn’t have attacked him for his views.

Cheers Dave.

Let he who is without guilt throw the first stone. No.need to apologise. 

It is an emotive topic for all, especially those who have had dealings and seen people at there worse. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zardoz said:

Politics aside, I am deeply passionate about the Hottest 100 and I felt that having it on a public holiday was a sensible idea.  A considerable portion of their target demographic may work on a Saturday, so the public holiday is a blessing for them.  Other than that, I don't care for Australia Day - it's always been Triple J day for me and has no other significance.

This also messes up my plans for next year!

Given that it was convenient to have it on a Saturday next year....................it will be interesting to see what happens after that.

8 hours ago, unclemack said:

War is not the sole domain of the white man. The technology to wage war on a larger scale is something they do well however. No civilisation, regardless of colour, has been free of war, murder, ethnic cleansing and atrocity. History also has a long memory.

It's a pity the general populace has a short memory................very short.

9 hours ago, unclemack said:

All too true, all too true and what I was alluding to was in the long run the  pyrrhic nature of the victory. The subjugation of peoples plays out over generations, lots of them, and I am yet to learn of a people that have let go of the resentment that comes from the results of that subjugation and the subjugation itself.  History as they say is written by the victors, that does not mean alternative histories cease to exist.

But the calls for whites to come together against the history of the numerous wars that whites have waged upon each other is proof positive in my humble opinion that as a common denominator it is a fragile and capricious rallying call.

Race is a cul de sac but we periodically head down that dead end street time and time again. 

But your point is well made and I do not dispute it in any way.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

All too true, all too true and what I was alluding to was in the long run the  pyrrhic nature of the victory. The subjugation of peoples plays out over generations, lots of them, and I am yet to learn of a people that have let go of the resentment that comes from the results of that subjugation and the subjugation itself.  History as they say is written by the victors, that does not mean alternative histories cease to exist.

Transgenerational trauma is a big issue and one that has little attention paid to it outside of the psychological trauma literature. It decontextualises the trauma but it also associates the trauma impacts with identity. Attempts to re-contextualise the trauma are then often perceived as existential threats and strongly resisted

• Like 1

On 12/2/2017 at 6:32 PM, proftournesol said:

Not all indigenous people are the same nor want the same things. They were however asked to meet and feedback to the Federal Government what they did want. When they did the Federal Government dismissed their statement in one day and told them they were being 'too ambitious'.

On 12/2/2017 at 7:13 PM, JSmith said:

...generally these things come down to a lack of education, opportunity and a troubled/disadvantaged upbringing.

Off topic.

On 12/2/2017 at 1:49 PM, Wimbo said:

What ever **** you sprout, it wasn't Invasion day. If the Koori's like to think that, they have it wrong. I think Whites that crap on themselves are far more mean spirited and piss weak. Worse **** has occured in this country then Arthur Phillip arriving. If your not proud of your country then your not Australian. Your just a relative of someone who immigrated here.

That's me. And I'm happy with not thinking myself an Australian. Not even sure what being an "Australian" is or why I would ant to be thought of as one...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, crisis said:

That's me. And I'm happy with not thinking myself an Australian. Not even sure what being an "Australian" is or why I would ant to be thought of as one...

I think it is fair to say that most people think of themselves as having a nationality and I don't see why you would have a problem with that. It is merely a statement of fact

and doesn't imply any behavioural standard.

Of course, there will be those who assign certain characteristics to possession of any given nationality but a vernacular code of behaviour does not define nationality in itself.