HD Dual Tuner PVR coming!?

Foggy ; I was thinking that DVI-D usually has hdcp .The Strong I understand has DVI-I ; Digital and analog- but the hdmi adaptor has thrown me [hdcp required].I guess the analog must be used for no HDCP ???

Ide still buy the Strong just to get rid of my RGB H/V cables.Not to mention a more secure connection than HDMI.

Cheers :D

Yes, you're absolutely right cwt. DVI can have HDCP, but I had assumed that it didn't have it because there was no mention of it..... I could be wrong! :blink:

I don't know about the adaptor insisting on HDCP though, it's a passive device that just changes the plug. AFAIK, it doesn't process the signal in any way.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well bennos, what the verdict on the 5490? :blink:

It'd be nice to have some snapshots of the User Interface and the remote too..... pretty please :D

Yes!

A user review, even a brief one, would be great.

The Strong retailers I've asked havent even heard of the 5490 !

Well bennos, what the verdict on the 5490? :blink:

It'd be nice to have some snapshots of the User Interface and the remote too..... pretty please :D

So far so good, I've only managed to setup a few initial things (ie. 720p and Dolby) and my channels list since getting going. The connections I've used are DVI-I to HDMI (as you know Foggy, thanks!) and the sound is via Optical. Picture looks pretty good, was watching 'Two and a half men' while setting up (it's broadcast in HD).

I had a quick look at 'program guide' where it gives a brief description of programs coming up on each channel and you can simply press 'record' on a program you want to record from there. Unfortunately, I haven't gone too far into exploring all the little in's and out's yet. Can't wait till the weekend, will have all the time I want!! Will also have to see what I'll be using most on the remote so I can do the programming into the Harmony control.

Overall, it seems like a fairly easy to navigate remote control/menu screen. I've only had maybe an hour playing around and already I feel fairly comfortable with the layout of both the remote control & menu screen.

Sorry, I can't write in more technical terms... layman here!

No worries Foggy, I'll do that this afternoon (at work at the moment). Will post them soon. Any preference on what you want to see?

BTW, Sydney Hifi went to 1160.00 without too much arm twisting.

Thanks bennos, that oughta whet our apetite for the time being :P

As I said in an earlier post, I'd love to see some screenshots of the UI as well as a shot of the remote.

I'm sure the HD PVR circus will come along shortly and ask you to perform the usual exercises of putting it through its paces :D:blink:

The Strong retailers I've asked havent even heard of the 5490 !

Yes, Hardly Normal don't seem to know as yet.

Anyone know of any distributors in Melb preferably East, and more preferably in the South Gippsland. I expect that's a real big ask.

Yes, Hardly Normal don't seem to know as yet.

Anyone know of any distributors in Melb preferably East, and more preferably in the South Gippsland. I expect that's a real big ask.

Rio sound and vision are in thornbury and hampton. they had stock last week. Ive attached a link to their site for you

Rio

happy hunting!

I guess what we really want to know is if this a full 2.0 PVR.

Can it record 2 channels (say Nine HD and Ten HD) while watching a previous recording? say HD to put it through it's paces. :blink:

Can it timer record 2 things at once?

What happens if you cut the power off and plug it back in after a few minutes. Does it still retain it's time and timer recordings?

Well that's all I can think of for now :D Any got full specs for this thing?

EDIT: According to one of the catalogues it has USB and Ethernet for PC file transfer. Is this true? EDIT2: Well here's some specs and it certainly does look like a PC interface, I think I'm going to cry. :Phttp://www.dpanda.com.au/oscom/product_inf...;products_id=68

The SRT 5490 High Definition Digital Terrestrial Television Receiver, PVR with Twin HD Tuners and 250 GB Hard Drive

- Including free overnight delivery - Australia wide!

- Available in Silver

- Ethernet PC Interface

- USB PC Interface

- 3 Year Manufacturers Warranty

product_srt5490back.gif

Finely engineered and Co designed in Australia, Strong Technologies new SRT 5490 is the latest in state-of-the-art digital terrestrial television receivers with an inbuilt computer hard drive and twin tuners.

Resulting from the use of leading edge technologies, the SRT 5490 delivers brilliant uninterrupted reception, superb picture quality, cinema quality audio and outstanding recording capability via the Twin Tuner PVR section.

Twin Tuners

- Record one channel and at the same time watch another.

- Record two channels at the same time and watch a previously recorded program.

- Record two channels at the same time and watch a third associated channel’ of the same broadcaster.

Massive Recording Capability

- 250 GB Hard Drive – 30 Hours High Definition or 125 Hours Standard Definition

A Multimedia Solution

Two Ports - USB and ETHERNET enables a file transfer system for:

- Transfer recorded programs to a computer

- Transfer MP3 music files from a computer to the SRT 5490

- Transfer JPEG graphic files from a computer to the SRT 5490

Uncompressed Video for Superior Picture Quality

The SRT 5490 provides a multiple choice of video connections including DVI output.

HDMI video is also catered for as the SRT 5490 includes a DVI to HDMI adaptor.

With its stylish contemporary design, available in black or silver, the SRT 5490 will be a fitting partner to any television system and provides a rich and vivid audio-visual experience.

Features:

• 250 GB Hard Disk Drive

• 30 Hours HD or 125 Hours SD Recording

• Simultaneous Recording and Playback

• Time Shift

• Timer Recording

• Picture-in-Picture

• USB 1.1 for PC Interface & File Transfer

• Lan Port for PC Communication & File Transfer

• MP3 Playback & JPEG Viewing

• 1080i / 720p / 576p / 576i Video Formats

• Format Change by Remote Control

• DVI-I Digital Video Interface

• Component Video (Y, Pb & Pr) Outputs

• RGB-HV / RGB Component (VGA) Output

• Dolby Digital Optical & Coaxial Outputs

• 16:9 Full Screen, 4:3 Letterbox & Full Screen

• Zoom Mode by Remote Control Hot Key

• Auto & Manual Channel Search

• Favourite Channel List

• Electronic Program Guide

• Preprogrammed STB/TV Remote Control

• Closed Captions & Teletext

• DVB/T, MPEG-2 Compliant

• COFDM Demodulation

...am I the only one who thinks the SRT 5490 isn't exactly the best looking box in the shop (IMHO)??? Verging on the opposite even... Wonder what it looks like in the flesh - at least the spec sheet stacks up...

It looks pretty similar to the 5400 HD STB, you can see them just about anywhere. :blink:

A 3 year warranty is pretty impressive!

Yes, you're absolutely right cwt. DVI can have HDCP, but I had assumed that it didn't have it because there was no mention of it..... I could be wrong! :D

I don't know about the adaptor insisting on HDCP though, it's a passive device that just changes the plug. AFAIK, it doesn't process the signal in any way.

Thanks Foggy;I certainly hope no HDCP too.What I meant about the adaptor[ I know its a passive device]was that it changes dvi to hdmi configuration and all hdmi connections have to have the HDCP handshake.For all I know the different pin connections may make this null and void.I think we'll find the answer to this hdcp the moment somebody tries to feed the signal through an amp with hdmi switching to a display :blink:

Thanks bennos, you're a champion! :D

The UI and remote control look like they're slight improvements on the 5390, but nothing too dramatic.

I'll just setup the codes in the Pronto and use that - why is it RC's are designed to look like crap.

I totally agree. IMO, it's leaning towards the slightly ugly side. But I'm not going to let that concern me. Apparently, it is the same casing as the 5400 (told by the shop dudes).

Here are the pics I've taken...

OK - we've got the pics, now for the really important stuff - The Review with all the good, bad & ugly :blink:

Looks like you can add padding to an epg record :blink: The first hd pvr with scart component rgb for euro tellies [if you dont need hd] :D I couldnt make out a hd output resolution button on the remote -could someone confirm this?With 2 displays this is a great feature :P

Before I say anymore about this box I'd like to spend some time playing around with it. Sorry guys!

In the mean time, does anyone know anything about connecting the network? I've got the box connected to my laptop but now what?

I've got the IP address of the box (192.168.0.220). If that helps?

Looks like you can add padding to an epg record :blink: The first hd pvr with scart component rgb for euro tellies [if you dont need hd] :D I couldnt make out a hd output resolution button on the remote -could someone confirm this?With 2 displays this is a great feature :P

Remote is exactly the same as the HD-Only 5400.

To change the resolution you just press 'Display' or 'Picture' button on the remote - I can't remember which.

Before I say anymore about this box I'd like to spend some time playing around with it. Sorry guys!

In the mean time, does anyone know anything about connecting the network? I've got the box connected to my laptop but now what?

I've got the IP address of the box (192.168.0.220). If that helps?

Try running the Network wizard in XP. Did Strong supply a network cable or are you using one of your own. It may be you need a patch cable if you aren't running it through a switch.

Philip

Try running the Network wizard in XP. Did Strong supply a network cable or are you using one of your own. It may be you need a patch cable if you aren't running it through a switch.

Philip

You will need to use a special cross over cable if you are not using a switch. You will also have to set the IP of your laptop NIC to 192.168.0.XXX where XXX is not 220.