HD Dual Tuner PVR coming!?

Guest mcjimminy

Hmmm, not clear from the literature if it will do overlapping timer recordings, or if it does resume play--and what's with USB 1.1 for file transfer? You'd think it wouldn't cost them much more to do USB 2.0 High Speed, especially for something that's producing large video files?!? Still, the more players the merrier.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, not clear from the literature if it will do overlapping timer recordings, or if it does resume play--and what's with USB 1.1 for file transfer? You'd think it wouldn't cost them much more to do USB 2.0 High Speed, especially for something that's producing large video files?!? Still, the more players the merrier.

1.1 is a joke... that put me off.

davidl. Nice choice of plasma and PVR!!

You too! I have actually bought 3 Strong 5390s over the past 2.5 years (2 for friends) and we all love how easy they are to use - 5 minute tutorial and my own "how-to-use" notes and both friends up and running instantly. If the 5490 is as easy I'll be laughing. Love the Ethernet transfer (bit sad about USB 1.1) but either method will be faster than my current 1 to 1 real-time copies to the PC!

Twin tuners will be good, but a much larger HDD would have been nice.

I'll now be able to investigate putting a 350GB into the 5390.

Only got the Pana a few weeks ago, brilliant.

Hopefully getting the 5490 and the Harmony remote tomorrow.

The 5390 I use has upto 4 skip times - for the Skip Button 1 press = 5sec / 2nd press = 10secs / 3rd press = 20secs / 4th press = 30secs

So to skip 3 minutes of ads do you need to press 24 times? Also dvduser can you name timed recordings beforehand on the 5390 and does the unit feature resume play? I'm thinking of buying the 5490 for a rellie and if these features are in the 5490 it may be on the shopping list.

Thanks

Felix

Thanks for the replies dvduser. I guess I've got use to the 30s skip on the Toppy 4400. 6 presses and your past 3 minutes of ads in a couple of seconds. Resume play is also a very handy feature and something I love about the Foxtel IQ. And something I miss in my LG PVR.

Still keen to see how the 5490 pans out though.

Just picked up the 5490 this afternoon. Still trying to work out why connecting with HDMI won't display a picture on the tv. Most likely something I've done wrongly. Can't wait to get it running!!

The default output for Strong boxes is either Composite or Component.

Plug it in with a composite cable first, then change the menu settings to Digital/DVI, and Bob's your Auntie.

I don't think it makes any difference Angelo. DVI is fully capable of doing 1080i, the only thing missing is the PITA HDCP encryption.... and we're better off without that.

the only thing is that you need a separate cable for the sound .... but there are so many HDMI HDCP handshake issues... its probably not a bad thing having DVI instead...

I don't think it makes any difference Angelo. DVI is fully capable of doing 1080i, the only thing missing is the PITA HDCP encryption.... and we're better off without that.

Foggy ; I was thinking that DVI-D usually has hdcp .The Strong I understand has DVI-I ; Digital and analog- but the hdmi adaptor has thrown me [hdcp required].I guess the analog must be used for no HDCP ???

Ide still buy the Strong just to get rid of my RGB H/V cables.Not to mention a more secure connection than HDMI.

Cheers :blink: