Why Opinions expressed at GTG's can be misleading

Apart from GTG,  anyone sipping  their favorite alcoholic beverage while listening  is seriously compromising their ability to listen effectively. 

Below is a report ( also on Podcast) from Dr Karl who explains the  direct link between alcohol in the bloodstream and hearing impairment.  The loss is not consistent throughout the frequency range either it seems .   I would say that this phenomenon could explain  why a lot of crazy opinions are expressed  while drinking at GTG's  (or elsewhere).  Of course, if that's the   way of listening all the time, then  the results will be consistent.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2016/04/26/4448817.htm

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tasso said:

Apart from GTG,  anyone sipping  their favorite alcoholic beverage while listening  is seriously compromising their ability to listen effectively. 

Below is a report ( also on Podcast) from Dr Karl who explains the  direct link between alcohol in the bloodstream and hearing impairment.  The loss is not consistent throughout the frequency range either it seems .   I would say that this phenomenon could explain  why a lot of crazy opinions are expressed  while drinking at GTG's  (or elsewhere).  Of course, if that's the   way of listening all the time, then  the results will be consistent.

So your system is not actually the "besht thev eva herd"....... ?? :P 

Guest scumbag
27 minutes ago, Martykt said:

So your system is not actually the "besht thev eva herd"....... ?? :P 

Not the besht stero. But you are the besht pal Iv eva had and thatz not the drink speakn.

A lot of hearing was lost around the 500-1,000 Hz range - which are frequencies where a lot of speech happens.

Maybe it's just our brain being smart, trying to make sure we don't listen to any bad suggestions while we're 'under the influence'.

• Like 2

Thats good to know when someone is playing justin bieber 

get smashed and he goes away......:hiccup

Edited by kab

I've actually been more concerned with pics showing the table the drinks sit on. Shallow reflections admittedly, but an indication of priority nonetheless.

I completely agree that our ability to discern fine differences is greatly hampered by alcohol, but also agree that the 'normal' state of listening is an important consideration.

There are definitely things to be heard and felt when the seriousness of extreme focus is relaxed, and the mind can make comparisons and associations with past experiences of listening - to either or both music and hifi equipment.

Guest scumbag
1 hour ago, Jeddie said:

Funny - I thought the more I drank, the better my system sounded.

It does but only to your brain. When I drink a lot I can dance. 

5 hours ago, Tasso said:

Well that explains a lot of @djb's opinions ;) 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ~Spyne~ said:

A lot of hearing was lost around the 500-1,000 Hz range - which are frequencies where a lot of speech happens.

20 hours ago, ~Spyne~ said:

Maybe it's just our brain being smart, trying to make sure we don't listen to any bad suggestions while we're 'under the influence'.

Forever should it be known as "The Drunk Curve".

there's gotta be some hidden, secret society of GTG-on-High now that's going to be fun
We are all seasoned and impervious to ill effects from copious quantities of red - aren't we@djb ?
Although nothing impresses us ! [emoji53]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1