My System Today

• Volunteer
3 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

think i need to practice...:P

Don't worry I go over too, a cotton bud and nail polish remover fixes all..............:thumb:  :P

Edited by Kazz
  • Like 1

The Siamese spinning some toons...

cremas_feet.thumb.jpg.6c5e338db232fac2deba83ab22770bc9.jpg

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
What's the moggy listening too [emoji848]. Maybe Stay Cats or Cool for Cats or. Love Cats [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Luvitloud said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png
What's the moggy listening too emoji848.png. Maybe Stay Cats or Cool for Cats or. Love Cats emoji23.png

Probably not Curiosity killed the cat. 

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
What's the moggy listening too [emoji848]. Maybe Stay Cats or Cool for Cats or. Love Cats [emoji23]

What's next on the playlist for the moggy?
How about some CAT Stevens or Eye of the TIGER
Maybe The Lion Sleeps Tonight

A cold damp Sunday in the Adelaide Hills. - Washing on the line under cover in the barbie area - the barbecue waiting for a grill that ain't gunna happen today.
America's "America" album playing as I type - who is this Sandman bloke?

The big black objects in the pic have nothing to do with 2001 A Space Odyssey, but are a pair of open baffles each containing an Audio Nirvana Classic 10 full range and a Hawthorne Augie Bass driver. 
The full range is powered un-filtered by an Earle Weston Topaz amp, and the Augies by plate amps fed via their speaker level amp inputs. 
The Audio Nirvanas are really the "wrong" drivers to have in open baffle, as some 'experts' have never hesitated to tell me, their low Qt severely limits their ability to pump out bass ... they need help, hence the 15" bass drivers
- with the Augies crossed in at about 120Hz the package sounds more than pretty good. 

The rising response of these full range drivers is the thing that has made me consider graphic equalising or similar non-audiophile solutions to flatten it out - but do they really need flattening? Would my ears want them flattened? 
They sound so good playing the musicks I enjoy that I haven't seriously done anything about it 
- at high volumes (and when isn't it) listening slightly off axis helps ...
I gave up "HiFi a long time ago - I'm really into the music rather than the equipment ... but I do like to fiddle around (not like Wicked Uncle Ernie).

The tall skinny boxes inboard from the OBs are a pair of old Wharfedale single driver Towers from the early 1960s - I got them for $15
... they are basically non-tapered quarter wave pipes with an upward facing driver - the original Wharfedale Super 8s were a wee bit stuffed and all the boxes stuffing had been removed by the former owner's widow I replaced the original drivers with my beloved Visaton B200s - again the "wrong" drivers for the application, better suited to OB, but they do sound pretty good (the bass is a bit lumpy though - and I'm too lazy to fix it) ... they are driven by a Sonic Impact chip amp ($20 a few years ago) and are used to play streamed music (mainly Pandora which is soon to leave us here in Aus [##!**#*!]).

Near the corners you can see a couple dark rectangles ... these are an old pair of Fane boxes I bought from ebay - one bass speaker stuffed, but mids and tweets available for future foolishness. 
I have sealed up the driver holes and put in Wild Burro Betsys which play with the cabinet backs off - they do seem to like backless boxes ... these wee 8 inches produce a pretty phenomenal performance for such cheap drivers - they would probably be embarrassed to be seen nude with their little magnets amongst other better endowed full rangers, but they do the job asked of them quite nicely. 
The Betsys are driven by a Sonic Driver chip amp - they are too close to the walls, but as I only use them to play ambient music that drifts through the doors into the dining room they'll serve.
I might replace the Betsys with Visaton BG 20s and seal up the cabinet backs ... the Betsys might be just as happy elsewhere.

I'm still tossing up whether to get equalisation hardware/software ... and so on ... you know how it goes ...

So there y'go!

ALF

IMG_9545.jpg

Edited by ALF
dissatisfaction with my descriptive text
  • Like 12

Listening to a new Jacinta album that just arrived in the mail, life is good, warm Ugg boots a hot cuppa and eight KT150's to keep me warm while enjoying some excellent music.

cheers Terry

image.jpeg

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 8

On 7/15/2017 at 8:50 AM, Kazz said:

So after a two day migraine, and with a frost on the ground outside,  I figured a morning of just music was in order, starting with some Dire Straits.(With obligatory feet in the frame :P )

IMG_1868.JPG

@Kazz, are you the only female SNA member??? (if you are not female, as Seinfeld said: "Not that there's anything wrong with that"!!!!)   :D

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TerryO said:

Listening to a new Jacinta album that just arrived in the mail, life is good, warm Ugg boots a hot cuppa and eight KT150's to keep me warm while enjoying some excellent music.

cheers Terry

Get a job you hippy. :D

@doomigee2 would kill for those Focals. Don't take it personal. :D

@metal beat you need a grinder onto those toenails.

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, rantan said:

@TerryO

Looks like you are a big VA fan:)

Very much so Rantan, the VA's produce a sound that very much suites our taste in music. The BBG's do the HT duties for now while the Concert Grands look after 2-channel. 

Without Hensa though right now I would be sitting listening to a cd trying to figure out what bit of gear next to buy to try and produce that elusive phono sound, when what was actually required was a slight change in direction. 

Thank you for pointing us in that direction Greg.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

• Volunteer
3 hours ago, darthlaker said:

@Kazz, are you the only female SNA member??? (if you are not female, as Seinfeld said: "Not that there's anything wrong with that"!!!!)   :D

Not sure if I'm the only female here, I wouldn't think so???  :unsure:

I know they're not very dainty looking toes, sort of short and stumpy but yep I'm female. :P

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Kazz said:

I know they're not very dainty looking toes, sort of short and stumpy but yep I'm female. :P

Haven't come across another female yet so you may be the one and only!

I told my wife there was a female on here and she didn't believe it!

:D

Guest Hensa

Haven't come across another female yet so you may be the one and only!

I told my wife there was a female on here and she didn't believe it!

[emoji3]

There are definitely a number of females though not many are regular posters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Kazz said:

There is at least one other regular that I know of @Peta

Congrats on being elevated to mod status.

• Like 1

Having my morning coffee I realized that I've replaced my entire system in the last 3 months, and still nowhere close to finished, but happy with my progress so far :)

Need to find a htpc case that matches my amp and power console so I can finish up and then chase up a new tv.IMAG0181.thumb.jpg.f01e3c2dee27af6bb1ddd9f099537ba7.jpg

• Like 7

To Top