My System Today

2 minutes ago, mtf said:

Nice to see 10,000 days in the mix there:)

Absolutely lovely system jones99

Tool albums are testing and generally very well recorded......a favorite late at night after a few beers.....

16 minutes ago, Jones99 said:

Swap 4 boxes for 1 ....not sounding like a good deal for me....

Think of it as de-cluttering !! :D 

Beautiful system you have there @Jones99.

My DCS is a bit more modest but I still love it though !! ;)

2 hours ago, Martykt said:

Coz DCS is rather beautiful in silver too !! 

Though happy to try black if you ever feel like swapping @Jones99 !! :P:D  

IMG_1092.thumb.JPG.c579e2556db1df2c11005f1f5fcfa80b.JPG

Yep your silver is very nice but with the newer models it's chalk and cheese in my eyes

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Yep your silver is very nice but with the newer models it's chalk and cheese in my eyes

I always liked the shape of the Paganini, I thought it was one of their best designs.

It's a nice little bonus on top of something I feel very privileged to own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martykt said:

Think of it as de-cluttering !! :D 

Beautiful system you have there @Jones99.

My DCS is a bit more modest but I still love it though !! ;)

After hearing the MSB Select II DAC the dCS days may be numbered.so may be de cluttering by default......while Vivaldi is superb the MSB is just mind blowing.....has reset a few benchmarks for me.......

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Jones99 said:

After hearing the MSB Select II DAC the dCS days may be numbered.so may be de cluttering by default......while Vivaldi is superb the MSB is just mind blowing.....has reset a few benchmarks for me.......

I'll definitely have to have a listen to the MSB II if the opportunity arises.

Will that mean a move to purely a media player/streamer?

For me I'm quite content with my CD playback, my next upgrade which I'm working on at the moment is in the form of vinyl.

Here's my modest system.  It's cost me alot to get to this point over alot of years.  I often ask myself if I had the money back then would I have just bought the best and started at the top?  Probably not, it would have bored me and I'd have nowhere to go and nothing to dream about.

There's lots I'd like to upgrade but for the moment this is it!

Active ATC SCM40A for the fronts, active ATC C4CA centre, passive ATC SCM40 for the rear powered by the Onkyo 818 reciever which does a surprisingly good job powering inefficient speakers, (way over performing speakers for rears), JL Fathom F113 sub (only for HT, never two channel), modded Rega P25 TT with a 2M black, Graham Slee reflex M, Doge 8 pre (was for sale but am sorting out some tube peculiarities), Line Magnetic DAC, Oppo 103D, Denon tuner, yep, that's about it.  Oh, there's an older Pana plasma, an Epsom projector and a STB recorder hidden in there too with the Onkyo 818 for HT duties.

The active SCM40A's look like they are leaning back because they are.   Compared to the passives they are a little beamy firing straight on but lean them back and the soundstage is a few feet higher, the bottom end is just a little fatter and the midrange smooths out.   In the seated position the midrange is firing just about head height although the mid driver relative height to my is about my face.  It took me a while to find this leaning back position.   Initially I had the speakers forwards, then back at the wall and everywhere in between.   I then recalled that when Mr ATC, Billy Woodman was at Stereophonic for the unveiling in Aus of this model the actives were set up on front spikes only with a lean backwards whereas the passives sitting right next to them were spiked front and rear and sitting up straight.   I don't know who''s idea this was but it seems to work and Billy Woodman didn't seem to mind.

EDIT: I forgot to add a Velodyne SMS1 eq for the sub, great little device and is  a great addition to Audessy.   

DSC_2906.JPG

DSC_2910.JPG

DSC_2917.JPG

DSC_2923.JPG

DSC_2946.JPG

Edited by gat474
  • Like 14

5 hours ago, Martykt said:

I'll definitely have to have a listen to the MSB II if the opportunity arises.

Will that mean a move to purely a media player/streamer?

For me I'm quite content with my CD playback, my next upgrade which I'm working on at the moment is in the form of vinyl.

I have an Aurender W20 but would always have a spinner.....too many disks cd and sacds.....MSB I am sure will come  out with a new spinner to match the Select II dac

I am told the Select II has the ability to stream direct from a Nas  via renderer maybe an option ........get rid of 8 boxes replace with 4....

Just cannot get the experience of the Select II out of my head I have rarely been impressed through my Audio adventures but this thing has floored me... .....me happy ...Mrs happy...win win.....a no brainer....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roland P. said:

What electronics do you use in your system?

In the picture is 

Gryphon Mephisto Stereo Amplifier

Gryphon Pandora preamp

dCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack

MSB Select II Dac

Edited by Jones99
  • Like 1

Guest BobbyD

Cannot believe I have missed this thread.

Well it's morning so here is the hot glowing glass that keeps me happy spinning tunes :party

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

Edited by BobbyD

Guest BobbyD
1 minute ago, Happy said:

Cool tubes what are they Serg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @Happy

Its an Audio Synergy 300B power Amp with external power supply on the left (6 power supply tubes) 8 watts of goodness.

Guest BobbyD
1 minute ago, Happy said:

Love the subs that are bigger than the mains what drives them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything hooks up to my 300B amp, drives them with ease.

The 2 way are ~ 95 db  and the woofers are 100 db 

:thumb: