NBN wifi routers

I currently have an Optus Cable running to my house but I use ADSL. The NBN Is not coming to my house for 3 or more years. I have been thinking of switching To Optus Cable (HFC) because I have not been able to get an answer about exactly what type of NBN I will be getting. Thanks for your info. You are more helpful than NBN Co who sent me a letter more than one year,ago telling me that they were trialling my house for HFC NBN and then cancelled it without ever letting me know. I had to ring them repeatedly before they finally conceded the trial was never going ahead. Woeful communications.

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Saxon Hall said:

I currently have an Optus Cable running to my house but I use ADSL. The NBN Is not coming to my house for 3 or more years.

Interesting.  I thought someone in the Optus cable area would be getting NBN sooner.

because I have not been able to get an answer about exactly what type of NBN I will be getting. 

If it hasn't been announced yet, then it's still uncertain ...  although if you have Optus cable in your neighborhood, then you will almost certainly get fibre in your street with HFC into your house. 

I had to ring them repeatedly before they finally conceded the trial was never going ahead. Woeful communications.

Not many people knew what was going on.

Our Govt. made the decisions to give lots of money to Telstra and Optus (for their cable networks), and tell everyone it was "faster and cheaper" .... the reality was quite different - chaos ensued.   Anyways.  Their spin is strong.

You may very well end up with NBN via some other means.....   although having the HFC cabling in most people houses already would make that "plan A".

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I see from the whirlpool list that my Fritzbox 7390 might be outdated and we are on a 100/25 plan which doesn't get close to those sorts with several drop outs and lots of buffering... Should I upgrade or try a bridging option as previously suggested? We are in a FTTN location. Any advice appreciated

On ?27?/?02?/?2017 at 8:45 PM, Sansui77 said:

I'm in the same boat mate. Just got nbn connected today via cable and the modem router my isp supply is crap. I had a TP Link Archer D7 on adsl2 and even though it was a fantastic modem router it just was not reliable. It was changed twice. Lucky i got a replacement VR600 under warranty but now its useless unless i use it as just a router. My ISP wont give me my user / password - mac address so i can use the VR600 instead of the crappy Netcomm.

Currently I'm getting 3mbps download and 18 uploads on a 50/20.... go figure.... they're looking into it. Nbn is not what its all hyped up to be unless you are on fiber to the premises or close to the node.

Update from my previous post;

I had to (WiFi) bridge the netcomm to the TP-link as the line coming into my home is near where the netcomm has to be placed. Works great until I get time to run cat5e between the two and get inside my roof to run the cables, plus gives me better WiFi coverage in my house without any drop outs.

Looks like my connection speed has improved as I wrote a nice little letter to both my isp provider and nbn.co....... FIX IT:emot-bang: 

50/20 plan - Speeds;

Off peak: Download between 40 - 48mbs - Uploads 18mbs

Peak: Download between 12 - 48mbs - Uploads still holding @ 18mbs

It's an improvement from when I first got it installed. I would say in coming years it will become slower as more houses in my area become connected to HFC.

Edited by Sansui77

I've recently upgraded to a Netgear x8 which was very fast in speed. Much much faster than my old Asus. However, did an upgrade and then died on me a few weeks after that. Now I have an Asus rt ac5300. Great router too with very fast speed and probably better functionality and reliability.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
On 08/03/2017 at 7:56 PM, davewantsmoore said:

Just router.

Hi Dave, just wanted to double check, in case anything has changed with FTTC (which is now rolling out).

A general router is all that's required with FTTC, right? Don't need an NBN modem?

Cheers! 

2 hours ago, Sean84 said:

Hi Dave, just wanted to double check, in case anything has changed with FTTC (which is now rolling out).

A general router is all that's required with FTTC, right? Don't need an NBN modem?

Cheers! 

Yes.

No worries, there's a lot of confusion out there  :)

There'll be a box provided by NBN for you to put in your house which you connect power and copper cable to (HFC or telephone).    This box will have an ethernet socket ....  and you supply (or your ISP) your own router to connect to that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 31/10/2017 at 8:03 PM, davewantsmoore said:

Yes.

No worries, there's a lot of confusion out there  :)

There'll be a box provided by NBN for you to put in your house which you connect power and copper cable to (HFC or telephone).    This box will have an ethernet socket ....  and you supply (or your ISP) your own router to connect to that.

Hi again Dave

My folks are scheduled to get FTTC and  as of this week they have guys in their area running cable. One group of guys right outside their place and another group 2 streets away and another group another 2 streets away. So it's all happening as of this week.

Is it safe to assume that they are days away from NBN access or could this just be pre-lim work and they could still be weeks/months away?

Or is it too hard to predict?

I guess they could just go outside and ask the Gents lol

Cheers!

I'm still at least 18 months from NBN going into our area, Telstra are already priming us, I have cable and am on a 500Gb plan at 100MBps, first the 'gave' me an upgrade to 1Tb data for no reason.

A couple of months ago my speed dropped to 36 to 37 MBps for no reason, I called Telstra, they have changed their plan structure ie no 100MBps unless you pay an extra $20 monthly for the upgraded speed you were already getting previously, now they have given us unlimited data allowance which I really don't need or want, I just want my speed back.

I can have it at $20 extra, this is possible because they give their plans names and not numbers, so I am still on the 'same' plan (albeit different to 2 years ago). Their top plan is now 30 with a $20 boost to 100, whereas it was 100 with a boost to 300.

We have had hfc connected through optus for about a month now. Apart from 1 24hr outage the nbn connection has been great. I'm on the 25mbps plan and I'm consistently get 15-24mbps, which is much better than the 1.5mbps I was getting with my adsl2+.

BUT the same can't be said for the Optus f@st AC wifi router. The router is positioned in the hallway cupboard and I struggle to maintain a connection in the kitchen (12m away).
Last night I was told by Optus that the router is only good for 8-10m! My 5year old net gear worked perfectly out to the back yard 20m away [emoji35]

59 minutes ago, cox11 said:

We have had hfc connected through optus for about a month now. Apart from 1 24hr outage the nbn connection has been great. I'm on the 25mbps plan and I'm consistently get 15-24mbps, which is much better than the 1.5mbps I was getting with my adsl2+.

BUT the same can't be said for the Optus f@st AC wifi router. The router is positioned in the hallway cupboard and I struggle to maintain a connection in the kitchen (12m away).
Last night I was told by Optus that the router is only good for 8-10m! My 5year old net gear worked perfectly out to the back yard 20m away emoji35.png

I concur with your experience here as I'm on 25mbps plan too and consistently get between 22-24mbps. I'm with Internode, and they supply a Huawai HFC router and it seems to work well all over the house. I do have a Wifi extender plugged into the downstairs bedroom area though which also seems to cope well.

I concur with your experience here as I'm on 25mbps plan too and consistently get between 22-24mbps. I'm with Internode, and they supply a Huawai HFC router and it seems to work well all over the house. I do have a Wifi extender plugged into the downstairs bedroom area though which also seems to cope well.

Which extender are you using?

I thought about getting another router but I've read that Optus won't release their VoIP settings so if I changed I would lose the home phone

On 06/11/2017 at 11:50 PM, DMax said:

FTTC may actually need a modem router as the cable from the curb to the house is still copper?

Depends.

There will need to be a VDSL modem somewhere, but most likely NBN will supply it integrated .... and you'll just connect your own (or ISP supplied) router.

21 hours ago, cox11 said:

Which extender are you using?

I thought about getting another router but I've read that Optus won't release their VoIP settings so if I changed I would lose the home phone

Hi cox11

I have a Netcomm brand powerline extender - which is pretty much "Plug & play". It plugs into the router at one end (and a power socket) and then another power socket in the farthest part of the house. It sets up it's own and "separate" WiFi network which you can tap into if the main WiFi network is out of range.

Hi cox11
I have a Netcomm brand powerline extender - which is pretty much "Plug & play". It plugs into the router at one end (and a power socket) and then another power socket in the farthest part of the house. It sets up it's own and "separate" WiFi network which you can tap into if the main WiFi network is out of range.

Thanks. So it's just like a pair of Ethernet over power adaptors but with wifi