Battery-powered Wifi Streamer/Heaphone Amp suggestions

I'm struggling to find a product with a built-in re-chargeable battery, that combines the features I would like in a Streamer/Headphone amp.

I have a NAS with loads of FLAC & MP3 files.

I just want a unit that I can put on the coffee table, office desk or take out onto the back deck, that will stream from the NAS & Internet (Internet Radio) via Wifi and has a decent headphone amp that will drive any type of 'phones.

Happy for control to be via an iOS &/or Android app, so the unit doesn't need any display or front panel controls.

My iPhone & my HP Slate both sort-of meet these requirements, but the headphone amps in these don't play so well with my Yamaha Orthodynamics!

For something with a better headphone amp, it seems that battery-powered DAPs don't offer Wifi/streaming, while Wifi Streamers/HP amps aren't available as battery-powered devices.

Am I missing something, using the wrong search terms or taking the wrong approach? 😕

I only want to use it at home, so size is not that important, but as I'd like to use it in a number of different locations, I'd really like to find something with a built-in battery.

Battery life doesn't need to be great.  The more the better, but even 6 hours would be fine.

It would mainly be used with the Yamaha HP1s, B&W P3s and Audio-Technica in-ears.

Hmm… that’s hard. 
I was searching for quite some time. What’s your budget?

Either a desktop solution that doesn’t take much footprint but no battery. 
Not many will do IEM’s. 

or a Chord Hugo2 with a 2Go module. (Very, very expensive)

I would suggest a DAP with a decent amp output stage. There are a number of DAPs from Fiio, A&K and Chinese producers that will drive most full sized cans more than well enough.

I wonder if some of the Audioquest DAC dongles may be enough … at the more budget level. 

Or replace the Yamaha headphones which are the hardest to drive? 

On 12/06/2021 at 12:08 AM, Dr_Kevy said:

Hmm… that’s hard. 
I was searching for quite some time. What’s your budget?
Either a desktop solution that doesn’t take much footprint but no battery. 
Not many will do IEM’s. 

or a Chord Hugo2 with a 2Go module. (Very, very expensive)

I would suggest a DAP with a decent amp output stage. There are a number of DAPs from Fiio, A&K and Chinese producers that will drive most full sized cans more than well enough.

I wonder if some of the Audioquest DAC dongles may be enough … at the more budget level. 

Or replace the Yamaha headphones which are the hardest to drive? 

Thanks Kevin.

Yes, the FiiO or A&K ones that cover all the bases are a lot more than what I wanted to spend.

I've had a better look into DAPs and the FiiO M6 might be OK, along with others from Sony & iBasso, etc. but I think I would be best to try them out in-store before making any decision.

I might just settle for a decent portable headphone amp and use it with my phone or tablet.

I don't think I could part with the HP1s, but I could consider adding a pair of closed, over-ear cans to the collection!

• 2 years later...

Almost 3 years later, I've finally made a purchase!

(Just kept using my DIY portable headphone amp + phone or tablet in the meantime)

A Hiby R5 Gen2 came up in the classifieds recently, so I looked up the full details of its features and specs, read some reviews and took the plunge.  Not sure why the original R5 didn't come up in my searches back when I started the thread.

Love it.  Ticks all the boxes, including the ability to comfortably drive the old Yamaha HP1 or YH2 headphones.

Being an Android device, I can install additional apps to enhance the functionality, and I appreciate that Hiby have kept the pre-installed apps to an absolute minimum.  Most Android devices I've encountered come cluttered up with a largely useless collection of apps that seem to require constant updates.

I'm very happy with the Hiby Music Player app, but I've installed TuneIn Radio, Synology DS Audio & Qobuz.  They all work fine.  I've also installed Ultimate Guitar as the player can send BT audio to my Amphonix Sonicake pocket guitar amp for bass guitar practice.  It's unlikely I'll need any other apps.

I've added a 256GB Samsung EVO Micro SDXC Card, which for $37 appears to be the sweet spot for value at the moment.  Space for well over 400 albums in 16/44.1 FLAC format for when I can't stream.

I am aware that FiiO and iBasso also now have players with similar features at a similar price point, but picking up a used R5ii at a very nice price in 'as new' condition would be hard to beat.

• Like 2

Nice!  DAPs are great, and I especially love the fact that they enable enjoying your music without the interuptions that come with phones and tablets.

Have fun.

20 hours ago, POV said:

Nice!  DAPs are great, and I especially love the fact that they enable enjoying your music without the interuptions that come with phones and tablets.

Have fun.

Yes, thanks.

It does everything audio-related better than my iPhone or the SurfacePro.  I'm using it more than I intended!

• Like 2