Another Hi Fi shop to close?

The property is worth a fortune and developers are looking to buy up the whole block to build multi story. Hifi stores will continue to go into industrial areas or cheap rental space, they are destinations don't need passing foot traffic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guest thathifiguy
5 hours ago, aasza said:

They're still very much active on eBay, maybe going online sales only ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/christophersaudiophilestore/m.html

Doubtful, most suppliers require a shopfront for potential buyers to at least see/demo products before they will supply a retailer with any goods, particularly anything beyond the entry level.

• 3 months later...

He has been selling off a lot of stuff on ebay for quite some time. Not just components but parts as well, panel speaker parts to name an example. I get the feeling this has been a planned exit in action for some time.

9 minutes ago, diesel459 said:

I'd like to go in but he gives me the Sh...s, bags every purchase you didn't make with him.

Unfortunately have to say it, it goes with the norm that you put up with when you walk into a bricks and mortar.  They normally get you to open up and then bag the crap what you own to get sales.  It doesn't have to be like that but unfortunetly it is.  

Not in my experience, but most of the hifi dealers I've experienced have been very professional and nice guys as well.:)  I guess I wouldn't have returned to their store otherwise.

In most cases, they would've held back from criticizing gear I already had to avoid being seen as bagging the opposition.  In fact, I've often been aware of the dealer biting his tongue when I've mentioned stuff that falls outside his favoured approach.   However, I would always welcome their candid opinions, despite being negative.  No piece of gear is universally liked and different appraisals help to keep everything in a realistic perspective.  It's useful to understand what people dislike about gear we might think is just great.  There's no need to be precious about having different subjective opinions.

Of course I'm not talking about pronouncements like "everything from XXXX is unadulterated crap" (which is rarely if ever true), but no-one with a modicum of intelligence is going to indulge in those sorts of rants.  Unbalanced opinions tend to come from unbalanced people and I haven't got time for either.    

Edited by Tony M
  • Like 2

• Volunteer
2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Unfortunately have to say it, it goes with the norm that you put up with when you walk into a bricks and mortar.  They normally get you to open up and then bag the crap what you own to get sales.  It doesn't have to be like that but unfortunetly it is.  

Unless you are talking specifically about the subject of this thread, my experience has on the whole, been very different. 

Most bricks and mortar stores I've dealt with or even kicked tyres in, have been superb. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Unless you are talking specifically about the subject of this thread, my experience has on the whole, been very different. 

Most bricks and mortar stores I've dealt with or even kicked tyres in, have been superb. 

I've only ever been in that shop once on a trip to Melbourne. I had $10k in my pocket and shopping for speakers. Within minutes I was insulted. Was I shopping in Kew or Far Kew? A few days later I was back north in the state of sanity. Audio Connection in Leichardt got my money.

• Like 6