Alternatives to class A?

Thanks guys will fix where appropriate

My first concern was to add short descriptors of other amp "classes" so no reader could say what about .......?

@ fixed that issue thanks

For example Is there a difference between class A/B and class G or for the sake of a "guide for Dummies" are they the same?

Hi DJB,

any guide to amplifier classes can be assisted with a link to Rod Elliot's site - lots of information there:

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/amp-classes.htm

cheers

Mike

I'm no expert re amp classes @@djb but I though excellent bass performance was a strength of class d, not a weakness.

Otherwise very well done and very educational to many of us I'm sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good effort there @@djb.

not sure about the d class weaknesses. I know people seem to have a knee jerk dislike of d class.

My Primare a32 is certainly not bass deficient or inhibited dynamically. In fact from the first the qualities I've liked about this amp are it's terrific bass resolution and control and lively dynamics.

I guess this a rapidly evolving class of amp.

Edited by buddyev

The editor of the document can neither confirm nor deny his views on particular makes and models within classes especially views promoted by individual owners hoping to on sell their current amps when their next personal "change of direction" occurs.

I've tried to be neutral those comments came from documentation on the web from technical experts.

The jury on class D is still out. The Tripath stream within class D had a rocky road when too high an expectation was placed upon it.

Glad someone read it and found it educational

Edited by djb
  • Like 1

The cleanest, deepest, most articulate and natural sounding bass I have ever heard from a straight 2 channel system (no subs) was from a big pair of Dynaudios running off W4S class D mono amps.   As always it's down to the execution, system matching and room acoustics.

The editor of the document can neither confirm nor deny his views on particular makes and models within classes especially views promoted by individual owners hoping to on sell their current amps when their next personal "change of direction" occurs.

I've tried to be neutral those comments came from documentation on the web from technical experts.

The jury on class D is still out. The Tripath stream within class D had a rocky road when too high an expectation was placed upon it.

Some people........fear change.  ;):D

I already told you under no circumstances will I sell you my Primare no matter how much you keep asking. You already have too many amps.

Reading mostly negative comments about class D amps makes me wonder if even the most experienced people on the forum had a chance to listen a good Class D such as Anthem M1s!?!?

I've listened to a Devialet. It was fabulous. Trouble is, there are so many very ordinary Class D amps on the market, that many people become deeply disappointed with them.

Yes, you're right that there are so many ordinary Class D amps but that shouldn't be reason to classify all crap ;)

M1s are magnificent especially with a good preamp. I had a journey with preamps staring with RX-A3020 and then CA 851D - CA 851N + E - AVM50V - Parasound P5 and finally Parasound JC2.

Day after day I am still gobsmacked by the sound coming out of the combination, the sound stage, transparency, separation are just brilliant, up there with  PS Audio BHK 300 + JC2 combination I auditioned at a local Audiophile shop :)

I was stuck to the idea of must have a sub with 2Ch listening due to my ferocious apatite for deep bass but with above setup, there is so much deep , rich bass and it is extremely fast&accurate. I'll never need a sub with 2Ch listening :love:party

Edited by ufo

• 4 weeks later...

Brother seriously consider not replacing a class A amplifier, a friend sold his audio research amp and replaced it for another AR class D, and seriously regretted it he is now on the hunt for his old amp

I'm guessing the amp was the DS450?  Tell him there are other amplifier manufacturers beyond AR in case he doesn't know. :)

So I'm going to ask a maybe ignorant question - if you have a class A amp which produces 50wpc, vs a 'good' class D producing 300wpc - what is the difference in terms of ability to drive a speaker with low sensitivity?

I get that depending on the implementation the "quality" of the power will be different - but at normal low to medium volume listening what will be the difference assuming good implementations of both?

I'm guessing the amp was the DS450? Tell him there are other amplifier manufacturers beyond AR in case he doesn't know. :)

Correct the AR450, he has tried others but I think once he had the thought in his head that class D wasn't upto his standard that was it, so he has now sold the AR class D and is looking for the AR class A, but I'm sure as you say there are good class D out there Edited by Deano_malaysia

So I'm going to ask a maybe ignorant question - if you have a class A amp which produces 50wpc, vs a 'good' class D producing 300wpc - what is the difference in terms of ability to drive a speaker with low sensitivity?

I get that depending on the implementation the "quality" of the power will be different - but at normal low to medium volume listening what will be the difference assuming good implementations of both?

That depends on a number of factors, the implementation of the class A 50wpc@8 ohms. Not many current class d amps on the market apart from the nc400 that can output 24A so it also depends on the speaker.

I'm guessing the amp was the DS450?  Tell him there are other amplifier manufacturers beyond AR in case he doesn't know. :)

I have the dsi200 - sounds good to me - but I've never had a class A....