Thoughts on Yamaha R-N1000a Network Receiver? Alternatives?

Im looking to buy a Stereo Amplifier which also has streamer and network functionality. Eastwood Hifi recommended me the Yamaha R-N800a or R-N1000a.

Its a beautiful receiver and sounds great to my ears, but I have a few questions before I pull the trigger:-

1. Anyone had any experience with this unit, thoughts, feedback etc?

2. Can you recommend any comparable alternatives?

3. I have seen online people saying the phone stage is so-so. Is this correct? Once again, any other comparable amps that have a better sounding phone stage?

4. Finally, what medium size speakers (not floor standing) would you recommend to pair with this amp, or a comparable one?

Appreciate any assistance and experience.

Matt

26 minutes ago, SausageMiester said:

Im looking to buy a Stereo Amplifier which also has streamer and network functionality. Eastwood Hifi recommended me the Yamaha R-N800a or R-N1000a.

Its a beautiful receiver and sounds great to my ears, but I have a few questions before I pull the trigger:-

4. Finally, what medium size speakers (not floor standing) would you recommend to pair with this amp, or a comparable one?

What speakers did you hear with it when you auditioned? Assuming you liked what you heard, no reason to stick with what you know. Any other recommendations (and there will be) will be purely anecdotal and may not be to your ultimate taste or preference.

Thanks so much. They paired the Yamaha with Polk reserve R200 speakers. I liked the sound of them but am open to some comparisons.

I have previously had Wharfedale Evo 4.3 speakers with a Marantz amplifier. I prefer warm full sound rather than bright etc

For the price the 1000 is an outstanding amp and offers great flexibility. Yamaha does have a house sound that is different to Marantz so it really comes down to which you prefer. Take your own speakers into Eastwood and listen to the Yamaha's through them if you can

On 17/04/2024 at 1:32 PM, Hydrology said:

What speakers did you hear with it when you auditioned? Assuming you liked what you heard, no reason to stick with what you know. Any other recommendations (and there will be) will be purely anecdotal and may not be to your ultimate taste or preference.

@Hydrology just wanted your thoughts on the R-N1000A paired with Paradigm Prestige 85F. Would like a 2000A but out of my budget. Previously had a A-S1100 with Prestige 15B. Thx.

The Yamaha would have enough power to drive them, but I would have thought combining those two would've resulted in an excessively bright top-end. Of course, many factors to be considered - room, size, acoustics etc. And this is my own opinion, not a reflection of how others perceive these products and pairings.

As always, let your own ears be the judge!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1