My Living Room 2.0 System

3 hours ago, Galactic Soap said:

Would love to hear your impressions re: the DAVE vs the H390's internal DAC. :) 

2 hours ago, Galactic Soap said:

Objection your honor! ?

The original request was genuine in nature! LOL! In truth, genuinely looking forward to hearing Mark's view on what differences, if any, he can hear. :) 

I planned on doing a short review in the Review section over the next few days, suffice to say I LOVE this thing!

Comparing to the internal DAC of my H390:-

The Hegel DAC appeared to have better front to back separation and to some degree, horizontal soundstage was better with the Hegel. In my system the sound goes slightly beyond the edge of the speakers.

That's about all I can say as a positive for the Hegel - the detail this thing produces is off the charts. Some say analytical (which implies negativity) - I would say extraordinarily detailed. Instruments hung in the air much better than the Hegel.

Now, for me, not as "analogue" sounding as, say, a dCS Bartok, so it will boil down to what you're trying to achieve in your system. As a very active vinyl enthusiast, I found the DAVE took my digital system further away from my vinyl setup, which I liked, as it gave me a bigger difference between the two and a better appreciation of both.

I also had the Atlas Asimi LUXE RCA cable (with GRUN) to play with and this seemed to restore some of that front to back separation that was lacking with the stock cables in the initial testing.

All of the above was from the sweet spot - I found after the changes were made and I sat at the kitchen table which is another 2 metres back from the listening position, all of the things that sounded "better" with the Hegel were now gone and the DAVE system was far far far better, with a more expansive soundstage.

I hated having to box it up last night - might take the Bartok home next long weekend for a comparitive session!

Edited by Hydrology
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

@Hydrology

Have you heard the TT2 v the Dave ? Could that be an option ?

Also sounds like the 390 DAC isn’t that bad. I’ve been reading a bit about the Hegel DAC 30, seems like a pretty good performer also in a similar $ range to the TT2.

I don’t know if I envy you or feel sorry for you having access to all that amazing gear. Although I guess you get to know what the best products are for you at all price ranges so takes all the guess work out.

29 minutes ago, Ray H said:

@Hydrology

Have you heard the TT2 v the Dave ? Could that be an option ?

Also sounds like the 390 DAC isn’t that bad. I’ve been reading a bit about the Hegel DAC 30, seems like a pretty good performer also in a similar $ range to the TT2.

I don’t know if I envy you or feel sorry for you having access to all that amazing gear. Although I guess you get to know what the best products are for you at all price ranges so takes all the guess work out.

I have a TT2 here which I might try out at home over the weekend. Trouble is, even if I think it's great in the system, the audiophile tragic in me would want the MScaler too, so from a price perspective I'm almost up to a DAVE anyhow.

Believe it or not I don't take too much stuff home to try - I hate having to bring it back!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

15 hours ago, Hydrology said:

A new edition to the museum....

4E2B02A8-11B0-4ABE-A0FC-052B025629B5.thumb.jpeg.ddc09ae48549b717f564ddfa08b7fdf2.jpeg

8FBD6B51-EF5D-43A3-8887-ADE314AA62EF.thumb.jpeg.876bdb86ff3304f1ebfd4ace283b034d.jpeg

8166D8B2-5C7B-4160-8647-DEC58F08A559.thumb.jpeg.b1263f6fd65c0414c018f30cde1c07ad.jpeg

D432038C-9854-418D-8541-9D8EE12EA9C1.thumb.jpeg.6da3c6d8c87ac517d3ee1bdcad972e1b.jpeg

Sooo good! I'm quite jealous right now - had one of these as a kid and always regretted not keeping it. If you get bored of it let me know!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/06/2021 at 5:52 PM, Bunno77 said:

If be very interested in your thoughts on this one. 

If/when they offer the Organik upgrade for my Akurate I will be placing my order

In a word - INCREDIBLE. The insight and detail was outstanding but not at the detriment of being analytical. Rounded with great front to back separation. I also reckon I lost a kilo just by getting up off the chair and touching it - it truly is a piece of art in the visual and audio sense. I didnt want to give it back...

Goeman-1.thumb.JPG.de5f356473a5355a96980ecb0b397151.JPG

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Hydrology said:

My muso needed a friend so say hello to Mozart!

I am getting tired of drooling over your speakers.

When will you be needing an upgrade and getting rid of them at a ridiculous discount?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hazzzy said:

I am getting tired of drooling over your speakers.

When will you be needing an upgrade and getting rid of them at a ridiculous discount?

Hahaha!

As soon as I can afford a pair of Sasha DAW !!!

• 5 weeks later...