Metal: Currently Spinning

Where's everybody gone.  I hope I haven't overdone it here, I know this page took a while to load.

I've been holding off, waiting for someone else to jump in, but...

Still washing all of my records, another wet day here, started early with a little 'live' warm up...

Thin Lizzy 'Live and Dangerous' 1978 Vertigo , Dist. in Aust. by Phonogram.

5aa3aa05c6bb2_ThinLizzyLiveandDangerous1978VertigoDist.inAust.byPhonogram.JPG.3a0b6ce602e9b38ae65a1311a72ff6fa.JPG

A blistering Live Album, recorded when the band was in their prime, and the last album featuring Brian Robertson, who left and later joined Motorhead.  Celebrated still as one of the best Live Albums from the '70's, and I would agree.  Original copy in pretty good shape.

Brian Robertson joined Motorhead in 1982, and in 1983 they recorded his only Studio Album...

Motorhead 'Another Perfect Day' 1983 Bronze Records, England. Dist. by Polydor.

5aa3abc37a328_MotorheadAnotherPerfectDay1983BronzeRecordsEngland_Dist.byPolydor.JPG.47be57104fd904a3e4b9c8d6f3a427dd.JPG record

I think this is my favourite Motorhead Album.  Robertson was reluctant to play their older material and soon left the band.  It has more of a Metal feel to it, and very nice sounding production and pressing.  My original in pristine condition.

One thing led to another, as it normally does, and up next...

'Full Metal Jacket' The Songs That Drove Metallica 2006 Castle Music, Sanctuary Records, Made in EU.

5aa3b5a8c4c52_FullMetalJacketTheSongsThatDroveMetallica2006CastleMusicSanctuaryRecordsMadeinEU..jpg.8a5b939c79e47b0f21412f6397327478.jpg

Venom 'Welcome to Hell' 1982 - 2003 Re-Issue, Earmark, Sanctuary, Get Back, Made in Italy by Abraxas.

5aa3ad9d5c166_VenomWelcometoHell1982-2003Re-IssueEarmarkSanctuaryGetBackMadeinItalybyAbraxas.JPG.3582d7ffdc3f748f607647283aa18475.JPG

A Re-Issue of one of the first Black Metal Albums.  I've never heard the original, so don't have a reference to compare.  This sounds pretty good, it's messy as hell, but I think that's part of the point.  There are no reviews of this pressing on discogs.  The album is criticised for its production, but again, that's part of it.

Up next...

'Speed Kills'  The Very Best in Speed Metal 1985 Compilation, Music For Nations, Made in England.

5aa3b0130f0c5_SpeedKillsTheVeryBestinSpeedMetal1985CompilationMusicForNationsMadeinEngland..jpg.bf791ca239910b14f65d65e387b6989c.jpg

My original 'Import' in beautiful condition.  A blistering album in every way.  The Artists, the track selection, the mastering and the pressing.  It's a pivotal Album for me, it opened the world of Thrash.  I had to include the track lists, 'cos they are amazing.

Cradle of Filth 'Bitter Suites to Succubi' 2001 Rock Tribe, Worldwidetribe, UK.

5aa3b0f68ca76_CradleofFilthBitterSuitestoSuccubi2001RockTribeWorldwidetribeUK..JPG.b90b9fd18a91a3e67d65e899ed956470.JPG

A transitional Album for the band, with six originals.  Criticised as 'uneven' (Wikipedia), and it's nothing spectacular, but I like it, its a great listen.  Something about Dani's vocals, one of my favourites in the Death Metal world.  Gothic, Melodic and Epic.  Nothing on 'Nymphetamine', which is a brutal, well crafted and long Album.  I am exhausted after that one, but only on CD at this stage.

Necrophagist 'Epitaph' 2004 Relapse Records USA.

5aa3b318d0ff3_NecrophagistEpitaph2004RelapseRecordsUSA..JPG.6db8e5839dc5f98f91d3df0742a88ee3.JPG

Finishing of with a little Technical Death Metal.  Clean and clear production, sounding fine on the coloured Vinyl.  I've read a couple of reviews on this one, and man, some of these writers are way too picky.  Let an artist create.  Some hit and some miss.  Everyone has different tastes and different sounding systems.  I tend to steer away from reviews, looking a few up now as I've started posting, but usually I listen without prejudice and let the music do the talking.  Some of my favourite albums are ones that copped grief.

That's it for today Fellas.  

• Like 4

Im still here. Great work on that Speed Kills comp as it has some of my favorite metal artists (Celtic Frost, Bulldozer, Destruction, Venom etc.)

Great to see some [major] enthusiasm in posting, man you rip through your albums on a daily basis!!!!!

People are tired of seeing my stuff so post away my friend. 

30 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Im still here. Great work on that Speed Kills comp as it has some of my favorite metal artists (Celtic Frost, Bulldozer, Destruction, Venom etc.)

Great to see some [major] enthusiasm in posting, man you rip through your albums on a daily basis!!!!!

People are tired of seeing my stuff so post away my friend. 

Hey man, thanks.  Yeah, I've returned to it with vigour and can't believe I was in the wilderness for so long.  Part of the new found joy I have, is posting here and on Vinyl Engine.  I've never had the opportunity to 'show off' my records before, and doing so prompts me to investigate and research my music and artists once more.  I'm loving it.  Connecting with like minded people and sharing our experiences and albums, and learning from you guys as well;  and also finding great new artists from others' recommendations.

I have seen some of your posts, and man, you have a vast Metal library and knowledge of your stuff.  I'm only beginning to really learn about my system and my records, fine tuning it, and my ears, re-educating them to a more advanced level.

I will have to spend some time digging deeper into your posts, to help find my feet again in the Metal world.

I'm always up for recommendations, especially from someone who seems to know what they're on about.

Cheers.

PS. love your avatar.

Just found some of my old cds, hiding in the missus side of the cupboard. She claims she doesn’t know how they got there. :D

Should be a good afternoon of listening I think.

4F17015C-AE20-47E6-9F17-4F06EBAA04C5.thumb.jpeg.8b5ce81e671fadd0afdd66a27f5a999a.jpeg

I love Deicide, one of my all time favourites.4DE84400-8401-426B-A76D-1F2F081DE666.thumb.jpeg.d4913aa2d8f9bc82becf2a57aa4b9d0d.jpeg

Incantation. Onward to Golgotha BA95D612-DD84-45AD-9D47-19EE4503A1FF.thumb.jpeg.545d48ed6351e745dc11095da1d429f9.jpeg

Morgoth. CursedA2D20013-173F-4E00-A149-2C284E7648C1.thumb.jpeg.8223990ff850e7f8ea35c79cab81c162.jpeg

Samael. Blood Ritual D6254840-C123-4216-888F-ECF56444DE5C.thumb.jpeg.79f84ec29f5b0b34b32a160c971b6d4b.jpeg

Cannibal Corpse. Vile

I prefer them when Barnsey was fronting them. But he was a an absolute fruit loop. Met him when they did their show in Perth in 1995 I think it was.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

Just found some of my old cds, hiding in the missus side of the cupboard. She claims she doesn’t know how they got there. :D

Should be a good afternoon of listening I think.

I love Deicide, one of my all time favourites.

Incantation. Onward to Golgotha 

Morgoth. Cursed

Samael. Blood Ritual 

Cannibal Corpse. Vile

I prefer them when Barnsey was fronting them. But he was a an absolute fruit loop. Met him when they did their show in Perth in 1995 I think it was.

That's heavy stuff !  :thumb:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Metallica - Load.  original 1996 US pressing.

39924891355_7e2061bab1_b.jpg

Wasting My hate is my go-to track in my head when character building individuals are in my face, it has helped me countless times over the years. ;) 

Not to mention Ronny...

well all the green things died when Ronny came to this place...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Iron Maiden  'Live After Death' 1985 EMI Records. Aust.

5aaa345f4c61b_IronMaidenLiveAfterDeath1985EMIRecords_Aust..JPG.059efb37f70647b0da470a64fd1b43b8.JPG

Love it.

'Santa' brought me the double tape back in the mid 80's (my parents really loved me) and when Bruce screamed 'tell your doctor Iron Maiden f$%vked your hearing' well that was time to switch the old Sony tape deck down a notch. :D 

• Like 1

Hey @Darren69;  Nice one man.  Classic.  Yeah It's a great album from the old days.  My first time hearing Nico playing their old stuff, lucky he is a great drummer.  I read somewhere recently, may have been the 'Maiden Thread', that the sound of Nico's drums were different to Clive's, and that hit a chord (skin), with me.  It did sound different, and I was a huge Clive Burr fan, but Nico freshened things up a bit too, so he won me over with this album. 

Then I saw the 'Powerslave' Tour in Sydney, saw him live and never looked back.

Cheers Buddy

• Like 1

Gave this a spin for the first time in a long time.  It was given to me by a friend who didn't like them, but it was minus the Studio disc, I only have the Live disc, but a very impressive set and sound...

Amon Amarth 'Bloodshed Over Bochum - Live' Reconquering the Past, Germany 2008.

5aab01829e145_AmonAmarthBloodshedOverBochum-LiveReconqueringthePastGermany2008-Copy.jpg.508b61ed820e04b9b24891f4352e078d.jpg

Up next was another that I haven't played for ages.  I don't know how it sat at the bottom for so long.  A great, diverse Album...

The Nefilim 'Zoon' Beggars Banquet Records, Shock Records Aust.

5aab0284022e0_TheNefilimZoonBeggarsBanquetRecordsShockRecordsAust.-Copy.jpg.3c62010c7c061fc35f39b7f3666492ee.jpg

That was last nights listening, not this morning.  A little intense for first thing in the day.

Cheers Big Ears

• Like 1

Hey Guys...

It's been an interesting week or so, realising that my alignments were quite off, and having a 1976 Technics Amp to play around with.  I've finally got things sorted again, and back to washing my Records, listening as I go.  I'm staying with the Sharp 'Optonica' Amp, its my baby, it just sounds perfect to me. 

I know that a good part of the reason I stopped listening to Records was that I didn't set up my turntable correctly.  My Old Man must have known, 'cos our stereo and Records sounded so good.  I've always looked after my Records, keeping them clean and stored properly, but I've never washed them before.  And I've never learned how to set a stylus up, until about 6 months ago.  I did stop listening to them because they stopped sounding good, like I knew they should.  I thought it was damage I had done over years of playing, which for a short while was a very rough, first bed room turntable.

I've written it before, "The best thing I have done lately is joined here and Vinyl Engine."

I can listen and relax again, diving in with something very familiar to me...  I listened to it a lot, especially on head phones.  This is a replacement copy I picked up recently, a testament to how often I played it.

Black Sabbath 'Mob Rules' 1981 Vertigo  Records, Phonogram, B.V. Holland, Polygram Aust.

5aaba07535455_BlackSabbathMobRules1981VertigoRecordsPhonogramB.V.HollandPolygram_Aust..jpg.e8086b7211cd75f7ef71cfaafe1fe234.jpg

It's great to be getting the same feeling I remember from these Albums.  I have played this a few times recently, but some of these I haven't played in a long time.

Motorhead 'Rock 'N' Roll' 1987GWR Records England, Festival Records Aust.

5aaba21c0d4a7_MotorheadRockNRoll1987GWRRecordsEnglandFestivalRecordsAust..jpg.46ecf680b5401763ea8a29dbc6940b7a.jpg

Not a great Album by any stretch.  Sounds very familiar, with modifications on previous Motorhead riffs.  Don't know if they were fulfilling contract obligations, it might be just me, but I don't play it often.  It was good to hear it after all this time.  The guitars are awesome, and Philthy on drums.

From Motorhead, it's not a far stretch to these guys...

Entombed 'Inferno' 2003 Threeman Recordings, Sweeden.

5aaba11610937_EntombedInferno2003ThreemanRecordingsSweeden..JPG.a04748b47c8df8c30cdb47768b51ce8b.JPG

I read them described as 'Death 'N' Roll',  I thought that was pretty close.  I first heard 'Rotten Soil' from Wolverine Blues, on Tripple J's Metal (Hour of Power???).  Man that track hooked me right there and then.  I have it on CD, but this is my only Vinyl.  A rumble of a ride.

Dave Grohl 'Probot' 2003 SouthernLord USA.

5aaba38f246b4_DaveGrohlProbot2003SouthernLordUSA.JPG.64d284e85c65111dc2246a7557594537.JPG

An awesome sounding Record.  Dave Grohl in all his Metal glory (not that he's 'that' Metal).  But his musical influences are his collaborators here, and it's Metal all the way.  Cover art by Away (Voivod).  There is an extra track after a long piece of dead wax on side four.  But the last 'listed' track features King Diamond, with Kim Thayil on guitar.  @Tubularbells; I thought of your new acquisition.  Very cool.  It's an awesome track, showing his vocal range, I must give him more of a chance.  I'm not real familiar with him yet, I have some mp3's to check out before I buy anything though.  It reminded me a little of Cirith Ungol, (vocal style, not quality).  But I don't know what the King thinks of this track.  I'm sure you know of it???

Last up I went with a bit of 'Power Groove'...

Danzig II 'Lucifuge' 1990 Def American Recordings USA.

5aaba639f1521_DanzigIILucifuge1990DefAmericanRecordingsUSA..jpg.600afc2b7edde87e32a25607f1743ff9.jpg

Up there with my favourite Albums.  The production and pressing are flawless.  The kick drum truly 'kicks' through the body.  It's powerful, it's raw and its tight, reminding me of the time when Pantera 'Vulgar Display of Power', was also on my high rotation list.  They remind me a little of Monster Magnet too.

It's been a great afternoon listening, and feeling it again.  A joy to be back and there will a lot more posts yet.

Cheers Big Ears

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 4

There's been some killer stuff posted of late no doubt due to Mr. Fuzzz's tireless post's keeping this thread alive. Lets keep it going and destroy all other genre related currently spinning threads.

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 2

Inspired by Mr @BuzzzFuzzz ‘s prolific posting, many of which we have in common, I’ve decided to change my lonely night at home from binge watching Japan Railway Journal, to spinning some ancient records.

First up, looks familiar doesn’t it. The first ‘metal’ I bought if you don’t include KISS (which you should!).

Heavy - KTel compilation.

I’m not sure I’ll get through it though, it has some boring stuff on it. 

Edit: Ok, I made it through the whole thing, and I’m glad I did. The last track by Aussie band Great Dane is tops!

Cheers,

Jason.

B5E7E86D-59FD-48C4-85D3-1238A42A6974.thumb.jpeg.716a2cdfd4771a31846edc6ee7200d70.jpeg

Edited by koputai
  • Like 2
  • Love 1