Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

Avatar had to be seen in 3D at the cinema.

It was awesome,

Story schmory, nothing new there.

Pretty good cast though, Sigourney Weaver is always enjoyable and the SFX were sweet.

I watched it at home as well and it was nowhere near as good as on the big screen while wearing silly glasses.

:)

Did you see it in 3D at home too?

So you saying that 3D made the difference.*.

Yes.

Seeing it in 3D at the cinema was great.

Eyecandy to the max.

Didn't go in to it expecting anything else and was not disappointed.

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

• 2 weeks later...

Watched "Tron: Legacy" last night. Headphones on, a wee bit louder than usual, awesome!

What a great movie! Especially loved the changes between normal and Imax formats. And Olivia Wilde.

Will do Tron (The Original) some other time.

Watched "Tron: Legacy" last night. Headphones on, a wee bit louder than usual, awesome!

What a great movie! Especially loved the changes between normal and Imax formats. And Olivia Wilde.

Will do Tron (The Original) some other time.

Might sound like a strange question but have you seen the original before? I saw Tron Legacy first so I suppose I went in the wrong order but the original is definitely a classic.

Might sound like a strange question but have you seen the original before? I saw Tron Legacy first so I suppose I went in the wrong order but the original is definitely a classic.

Oh, yes, I have, I own them both on BD. It's just that I felt more like the new one the other night. I still like the old one though.

I've said this before, but look up on YouTube how they made the original.

An insane amount of work, adding numerous layers to each frame to create the SFX.

I used to have a Tron game on the old IBM computer back in the day...it was supposed to be like the light cycle game, but was just two different coloured lines moving on the screen, played with the arrow keys.

Basically a birdseye view of the light cycle grid....

Not sure now, if you could actually "win" or if it was just a matter of staying alive for as long as possible, as you played against the computer.

That's Tron, he fights for the users

Love that movie :P

And I do love the new one too, it was everything we and they wanted the original to be back in the day.

Not too over the top, just....just right.

Although the SFX "young" Jeff Bridges DID look a bit odd.....

Still cool nonetheless and Daft Punk were the best choice for the soundtrack.

I've said this before, but look up on YouTube how they made the original.

An insane amount of work, adding numerous layers to each frame to create the SFX.

I used to have a Tron game on the old IBM computer back in the day...it was supposed to be like the light cycle game, but was just two different coloured lines moving on the screen, played with the arrow keys.

Basically a birdseye view of the light cycle grid....

Not sure now, if you could actually "win" or if it was just a matter of staying alive for as long as possible, as you played against the computer.

That's Tron, he fights for the users

Love that movie :P

And I do love the new one too, it was everything we and they wanted the original to be back in the day.

Not too over the top, just....just right.

Although the SFX "young" Jeff Bridges DID look a bit odd.....

Still cool nonetheless and Daft Punk were the best choice for the soundtrack.

Agree 100%!

Watched a few bits and pieces of "P.U.L.S.E." last night (that count?).

Blimey, that show in 1994 at the Earls Court was a real ripper!

I remember back then I was living in Chile, and some radio advertised that they'd transmit the show live from London. They did! I had purchased an extra set of cassettes to record everything on my Grundig deck, still have the tapes somewhere from that show. No deck though... Still, what a great show back then, timeless comes to mind.

I recorded "Riddick" the other day as it was on TV.....thinking it might be worth a watch.

Pitch Black was a good movie, Chronicles Of Riddick was fun....but this....:wacko:

Starts off ok with Riddick finding himself on a hostile planet, hanging out in a cave while he regains his strength, bonding with a space dog, going on a trek with said dog which all of a sudden is fully grown.

Then turns in to typical "Look at me I'm Vin Diesel, and I'm so tough, I can see in the dark and I'm gonna kill everyone." Rubbish

Terribly low budget, dreadful CGi, cliche characters and nothing but a "who will die next" plot.

The only interesting/likeable character was the CGi dog

:P

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

• 2 weeks later...

Watched James Bond's "Spectre" the other night.

Good things first. Sound, movie, locations, actions, girls, acting, all good in my book! Classic Bond, classic Bad Guy, classic train fight (see "From Russia With Love" and "Live and Let Die"), classic cars, British humor, the lot. Overall movie sound, AWESOME, the quiet passages very quiet, and then BOOM, all hell breaks loose and the wife asking to lower the volume a bit.

Now... the title sequence.... I liked it very much. The title sequence is a classic on Bond movies, and all good there. However, the title song.... WHAT A P1$$ POOR EXCUSE FOR A SONG OR SINGER! Seriously!? Can the guy sing? Did the producers wake up that morning and think "I'm going to green light the worst ever Bond song today before my morning break". I didn't really like the song with Jack White and Alicia Keys so much, but at least it's got guts. Adele's and Chris Cornell's songs are very good, very Bond oriented. But this? Are you kidding me?

Get Aerosmith or Dave Gilmour to write a Bond song for the next one, if you must, get Robbie Williams to sing it, I don't know, but please, no more of that whining lament!

Still, I'd watch the movie again, happily, I'll just cringe when I see the title...

Guest Hensa

@@betocool - could have written that review myself, so accurate did I find it! I actually hit the FF button half way through the opening credits!

The only thing I'd add would be a mention of my favourite Bond train fight scene - with 'Jaws' in The Spy Who Loved Me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took my daughter to see an advance screening of Zootopia on the weekend. 'Advance' holds as much cache as 'decimate' these days given, you know, the internet.

The film itself is a milestone on several levels.

At times I felt I could reach out and touch the characters - such was the advance in applied lighting and motion capture. In addition to the obvious improvement in CGI were next level direction and execution.

This film never felt forced, lacking or laboured... which is beyond rare for me.

It hides an adult content in plain sight.

It is a serious contender - if not winner - for the best animated film I've seen to date*.

*: The Incredibles is a highly underrated film. 

• Like 1

Just finished watching "The Walk" by Robert Zemeckis, with Joseph Gordon-Levitt attempting to cross the Twin Towers just before their completion.

I really like Zemeckis' work and his eternal collaboration with Alan Silvestri in the score department. They do a great team! Interesting how they recreated the Twin Towers in the early 70's, funny how all talk with a mock french accent, and it's pretty entertaining movie in the end.

For a couple of years it looked like Robert Zemeckis would only work on motion capture animation films, like "Beowulf", "The Polar Express", "A Christmas Carol", but I'm happy he came back to real action films with "Flight" in 2012 and now "The Walk" last year. Even thou it passed pretty much unnoticed, it's pretty good. Certainly one of my favourite directors.

I've been collecting Akira Kurosawa/Toshiro Mifune movies.

So far have the excellent Rashomon, Yojimbo, and the incomparable Seven Samurai.

Have you ever tried the Lone Wolf and Cub series (early 70's). Not quite the same level as Kurosawa when it comes to the human level, or the way he shoots, but a very astute look into the The Way in the shogunate period in Japan. Or Takeshi Kitano's version of Zatoichi (yes, the same guy who ended up saying "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence" at the end of the David Bowie movie)?

• Like 2