Japan Audio and Shenanigans

Hey all, back from Japan, refreshed and hating work..... well thats another story. Anyway great place great cars, audio and scenery. I started a photography thread and will post some pics from the DLSR in ther but I wanted to share some pics from some stores an what not I visited while there. BTW I'm gonna do this as sort of a blog....keep up

For those who don't know there is a store (In Tokyo (Ginza District)).... BIC CAMERA.... massive, take a HIFI shop, massive camera shop, Harvey Norman, JB HIFI, and a Dan Murphys pop it in seven levels and well you have a mans wonderland/playground.....end of demo.

After the first hour in there the Mrs came and found me in the audio section where I had not moved and said "u hem, you need to come with me...." right well better be good.... the grog section bugger me sideways.... Lets say I could not get my bottles of McCallen out of there quicker at $35 a bottle brought 4, 3 made it home.

Anyway enjoy the Pics feel free to comment and ask any questions.

Cheers

Kyle

post-139707-0-34805500-1398260452_thumb.

post-139707-0-21791700-1398260475_thumb.

post-139707-0-99463900-1398260504_thumb.

post-139707-0-67773200-1398260531_thumb.

post-139707-0-79505600-1398260556_thumb.

post-139707-0-19367400-1398260585_thumb.

post-139707-0-41856000-1398260611_thumb.

post-139707-0-51332200-1398260632_thumb.

post-139707-0-11082500-1398260659_thumb.

post-139707-0-96838000-1398260690_thumb.

• Like 4

kczar, thank you for sharing...

I will be going there in just over a month time for 3 days before heading off to Hokkaido, and definitely will try to check out the place while my other good half is shopping (anything good for women to shopping there too?)

Is this place easily accessible by subway? 

• Like 1

Ahh I thought you were calling Shenanigans on Japan or at least HIFI shops in Japan.  Ha Ha

al la South Park http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/150844/south-park-calls-shenanigans

I love looking at all the equipment in Japan.  In some of the stores like BIC Camera it is visual overload.  I don't know how good it would be trying to test a series of equipment in BIC camera though.

• Like 1

kczar, thank you for sharing...

I will be going there in just over a month time for 3 days before heading off to Hokkaido, and definitely will try to check out the place while my other good half is shopping (anything good for women to shopping there too?)

Is this place easily accessible by subway? 

No dramas, yes there is . The Ginza district is known for the shopping, plenty of stores including some very high end ones for women.

From memory I am 99% sure that we got off a local train and walked down the road so yes very accessible.

Yodobashi Camera is also good.  I cannot remember which of the stores was best for Hifi though.  Shinjuku and Akihabara I think then Ikebukuro a tier down.  All easy to get to from the main Yamanote loop line.  Train Navigation is relatively easy in Japan, with the confusion only happening when you pop out the wrong exits to be confused on the streets outside, which way is east etc.  At least with Mobiles this is relatively easier these days.

Also there are a range of stores that you can find around Akihabara Station (of which I cannot remember the names).  Much better layout of equipment than the BIC camera photos above.

• Like 1

Yodobashi Camera is also good.  I cannot remember which of the stores was best for Hifi though.  Shinjuku and Akihabara I think then Ikebukuro a tier down.  All easy to get to from the main Yamanote loop line.  Train Navigation is relatively easy in Japan, with the confusion only happening when you pop out the wrong exits to be confused on the streets outside, which way is east etc.  At least with Mobiles this is relatively easier these days.

Also there are a range of stores that you can find around Akihabara Station (of which I cannot remember the names).  Much better layout of equipment than the BIC camera photos above.

When I was in Osaka last year, went to Yodobashi Umeda, something like 7 storey bldg, I actually could spend whole day and could eat sushi or udon in between but my wife wasn't willing to wait for me as she wanted to move on.  :(

• Like 1

We are heading to Japan in a week!

Thanks for the heads up on the large shops!

My wife who is Japanese has found me some lesser known shops in  less tourist places.

Thankfully she enjoys good music and is a great translator. ( I expect the lyrics will still sound like English even when played on Japanese Gear!)

I hope to have photos and text in about a months time!

• Like 1

I usually go to Shinjuku area. Reason being there are lots more to look out for. Good shops for fashion, great restaurants. Most importantly, there's disk union. They sell everything from CDs to vinyls spread across 6 stores, each catering to different genre of music, along one street I think. They even have one store that sells preloved equipment.

There is also a bic camera and yodobashi store.

Can you guys please give more precise instruction for the whereabouts to buy cd's, vinyls, hiend equipment , audio stores etc? I was at Shinjuku & akihabara recently and didn't see any of those. I'm planning to come back.

Please repost photos of speakers and turntables full quality so we can zoom in to see the price. Cheers.

Hi, for Music 2 main options will cover most genres, Tower Records in Shibuya and Disk Union cover most bases.  Tower Records is a massive 1 stop shop (5000sq metres of floor space) http://www.timeout.jp/en/tokyo/venue/8927/Tower-Records-Shibuya.

towerrecords.jpg

It is a short walk from Shibuya Station (just make sure you take the Hachiko exit) the one with extremely busy pedestrian crossing (always photographed)

tower%20records%20map.jpg

Diskunion has many shops with different specialities

http://diskunion.net/st/shop/e_index.html

http://diskunion.net/st/shop/shop_map/map_ds_area_english.html (map)

ds_englishmap.gif

other useful links

http://www.vinylrecordcollector.net/2012/11/tokyo-japan-style-definitions-table.html

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2014/04/15/music/record-store-day-finds-its-groove-in-japan/#.U24Ly14xH8s

http://www.recordstoreday.com/Venues?country=Japan

Edited by Demondes
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little head-fi from Akihabara:

P1030534.JPG

P1030535.JPG

P1030536.JPG

I was actually at Shibuya a lot, but busy with work, etc.  I would have looked at more, except I was busy with this stuff:

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

P1030539.JPG

next foreign stop Singapore!

Edited by krebetman
  • Like 1

Thanks for the pics  :thumb:

how good do the JBL moniters look. Aparently the Japanese love the JBL moniters and Japan is a big reason JBL international (moniters, K2, Everest etc)still exists 

I think the small blue moniters (top shelf,in the middle) are 4306. Id love a pair of those  :cool: