Jazz: Currently Spinning

• Volunteer
2 hours ago, soundfan said:

Harriet Tubman: The Terror End Of Beauty

Certainly one of the best 3 or 4 albums of 2018 IMO, and I am playing the vinyl version which  finally arrived last week.

Harriet Tubman are a bass, drums, and guitar trio who are well worth checking out.

Available on bandcamp.

a3735620845_16.jpg

And just to connect our posts, Sons of Kemet have a song called "My Queen is Harriet Tubman"

BTW I just looked for the album on Bandcamp, postage is insane :(

Edited by Sir Sanders Zingmore
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

And just to connect our posts, Sons of Kemet have a song called "My Queen is Harriet Tubman"

Most artists on bandcamp that sell vinyl charge way excessive shipping for vinyl.

I ordered it elsewhere, but can’t recall where at the minute.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

$23.12AU, Sir Sanders, from importcds on ebay. Free postage. ;)

9 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

That's the CD as far as I can tell. I'd love to get the vinyl

I was wrong. Looked back through my transactions, and did in fact buy the vinyl from the bandcamp site. Cost me $39 US all up. $19 US for shipping.

• Like 1

Peter Brotzmann/Heather Leigh: Sparrow Nights

This is awesome. Not the forceful manic playing we have come to expect from Brotzmann. Heather Leigh plays peddle steel. 

I will buy the CD, as it contains 4 more tracks than the vinyl version, including the majestic closing track "The Longer We're Apart".

https://trostrecords.bandcamp.com/album/sparrow-nights

s-l500.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, soundfan said:

Peter Brotzmann/Heather Leigh: Sparrow Nights

This is awesome. Not the forceful manic playing we have come to expect from Brotzmann. Heather Leigh plays peddle steel. 

I will buy the CD, as it contains 4 more tracks than the vinyl version, including the majestic closing track "The Longer We're Apart".

https://trostrecords.bandcamp.com/album/sparrow-nights

s-l500.jpg

Hyenas being attacked by a very angry bee swarm?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, soundfan said:

Most artists on bandcamp that sell vinyl charge way excessive shipping for vinyl.

I ordered it elsewhere, but can’t recall where at the minute.

My experience differs from yours in that Bandcamp sellers charge only what their local carriers charge, which is dictated by their location and because they are small independent labels without the advantage that comes with large volume. American labels are expensive, because they ship with USPS from USA. German labels are cheap. UK labels are fair to middling, but getting dearer. Italian labels are crazy expensive. All of this reflects my experience ordering outside of Bandcamp from small retailers and labels located in the same countries.

Amazon, CC Music and other large volume sellers like some on ebay offer cheap or sometimes free shipping, because they cut volume deals with shipping companies. I don't know of any small retailers who can compete with the low shipping rates offered by the big boys, but some offer free or discounted shipping for large orders as a sweetener, lots of Discogs sellers do this. But then, I rarely buy one LP at a time and if a Bandcamp seller doesn't have more than one item of interest, I'll look for it elsewhere.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave O))) said:

My experience differs from yours in that Bandcamp sellers charge only what their local carriers charge, which is dictated by their location and because they are small independent labels without the advantage that comes with large volume. American labels are expensive, because they ship with USPS from USA. German labels are cheap. UK labels are fair to middling, but getting dearer. Italian labels are crazy expensive. All of this reflects my experience ordering outside of Bandcamp from small retailers and labels located in the same countries.

Amazon, CC Music and other large volume sellers like some on ebay offer cheap or sometimes free shipping, because they cut volume deals with shipping companies. I don't know of any small retailers who can compete with the low shipping rates offered by the big boys, but some offer free or discounted shipping for large orders as a sweetener, lots of Discogs sellers do this. But then, I rarely buy one LP at a time and if a Bandcamp seller doesn't have more than one item of interest, I'll look for it elsewhere.

I only need to look at my bandcamp collection on the site, to see that of the albums I own in vinyl format, over 80% were purchased elsewhere.

Am well aware of the pricing differences and how it seems to work, but it is what it is; I can usually find it cheaper somewhere else. 

• Like 1

MOUNT EVEREST TRIO - Waves From Albert Ayer

Why haven't I heard of this Swedish group before? This is riveting stuff! No wonder Mats Gustafsson, who produced this reissue, is a fan.

Now, if only I could find a vinyl copy...

R-970469-1542568780-8978.mpo.jpg

Edited by Citroen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, soundfan said:

I only need to look at my bandcamp collection on the site, to see that of the albums I own in vinyl format, over 80% were purchased elsewhere.

Am well aware of the pricing differences and how it seems to work, but it is what it is; I can usually find it cheaper somewhere else. 

No problem Chris, your experience is different to mine. I just didn't want people to get the impression that sellers on Bandcamp were ripping people off for shipping. Often times I can't find titles available elsewhere at all let alone for a more competitive price. But that is partly a function of my hankering for weird and obscure music. Anyway, I am happy to feed hungry artists a few extra dollars. For the greater good of course ;)

Today, I'm spinnin' some swingin' standards. Verve Japanese pressings.

095.jpg

1232506670_e8c686f9b1_z%5B1%5D.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Citroen said:

MOUNT EVEREST TRIO - Waves From Albert Ayer

Why haven't I heard of this Swedish group before? This is riveting stuff! No wonder Mats Gustafsson, who produced this reissue, is a fan.

Now, if only I could find a vinyl copy...

R-970469-1542568780-8978.mpo.jpg

The only one I could find was on discogs for $160 secondhand. I did however find a record site that you @Dave O))) and @soundfanmight like. I haven't checked out shipping costs but most albums sell for between $15US and $18US. Lots of free jazz on there.

http://www.corbettvsdempsey.com/cat/records/albums/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

:D Oh well,at least you got the T's. I scrolled down the page and the only vinyl was the last entry. A Peter Brotzmann 7".

P.S If you like Vijay Iyer & Craig Taborn, they have a new live album out. I've posted a song on the ECM thread. Sounds pretty good.

• Like 1

Listening to these two fros

Jeanne Lee, Conspiracy

Small run LP reissue on Seeds. Not sure if it's official, but it sounds good. Jeanne Lee was a unique talent.

R-12586356-1550420236-2963.jpeg.jpg

Joe McPhee, Nation Time

Recent reissue on Superior Viaduct. Legendary recording

15.JPG

• Like 5