New Flagship Vivid Audio Moya Loudspeakers

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, 075Congo said:

They will handle up to 3000 watts but dont say in the specs what minimum is required.

The specs imply they are pretty efficient, so you probably don't need too much to drive them (maybe something with a bit of current as they drop to 2.5 Ohms)

Sensitivity93dB/2.83V@1m

Nominal impedacnce (Ω)5 nominal, 2.5 minimum at 40 Hz

2 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

The specs imply they are pretty efficient, so you probably don't need too much to drive them (maybe something with a bit of current as they drop to 2.5 Ohms)

Sensitivity93dB/2.83V@1m

Nominal impedacnce (Ω)5 nominal, 2.5 minimum at 40 Hz

So a Nad 3020 will have no trouble driving it then?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Buy a pair and I'll personally travel to Buderim to help get them in 🙂

Count me in on this construction job. 

Not sure I count as strong but I've got a forklift license and a keen sense of ambition. 

I mean come on, how hard could it be?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t see the point of making speakers so custom like these, then letting people power them as passives.

They really should be a top to bottom active design so there’s no room for underperformance from selecting the wrong bits to go with it.

It’s not like spending the ridiculous asking money on them doesn’t warrant it already.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Count me in on this construction job. 

Not sure I count as strong but I've got a forklift license and a keen sense of ambition. 

I mean come on, how hard could it be?

I’ll bring my hi vis vest and traffic sign to supervise. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BugPowderDust said:

I don’t see the point of making speakers so custom like these, then letting people power them as passives.

They really should be a top to bottom active design so there’s no room for underperformance from selecting the wrong bits to go with it.

It’s not like spending the ridiculous asking money on them doesn’t warrant it already.

I read a great description of a passive speaker on another forum ... "it's like powering an airplane with a series of mechanical linkages to propellers on the wings via a great big engine at the back. Oh, and the aircraft manufacturer has no control over the engine, each airline can supply their own". 

• Like 3

Emailed offshore bank in Panama re fund acquisition for  making a  deposit on the MOYA's. Waiting for info from Vivid Audio re production timelines/ freight etc. Thinking it will take at least 3 months from time of order so support volunteers should factor in a July timeline. Flack has already started as my wife is keen on various metallic reds.......I am an opalescent cream type person.

Looking at my current cables.......undecided re a Scandinavian product......very large diameter and is probably related to welding cable.

Still worried re need to reinforce the suspended floor in our music area. So many details to confront.....but it is exciting.

Mick

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 16/3/2024 at 12:50 PM, MTL said:

Hi Keith.

i seem to recall him using multiple pairs of Jeff Rowland at the time. Like you said, was a long time ago .

The G 1 would be a nice acquisition 😀

Mark

He used multiple pair's of Jeff Rowlands but they were the Class D switching amps in that lineup.

Sounded very nice (particularly on large orchestral)  but it was years ago that I was there.

They were beautiful looking speakers and were set up in a pretty large room with minimal furnishings. 

Back to the new TOTL Vivid's in question.   I hope the finished crossover has better quality parts than the ones in the Soundstage video.  I'm all for  the designers vision and whole design but at the price point the crossover parts are truly awful.  Entry level polypropylene caps, entry level resistors and very pedestrian inductors.  I'd be pretty bummed if it turned out they were in my 800k speaker (or even 20k speaker for that matter).

Laurence Dickie is one of the Titans and pioneers of our hobby however so I'm hoping they are only in the prototype.

LPG

Edited by Lansche plasma guy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lansche plasma guy said:

multiple pair's of Jeff Rowlands

And I also remember seeing and listening to this combination driven by a preamp built by Moran Varkey. Seems like he had quite a few visitors who are sna members currently 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I figured out what it is that makes this speaker so ugly.  It is not so much the curviture of the bass sections, but the top quarter, especially with that blank panel.  I played around with a downloaded photo, and deleted the top quarter.  They looked much more balanced, even if they kind of looked squat and chunky.

If I can get Mr Dickie to delete the top section I might consider buying a pair - in white, not red.:party

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MTL said:

My g2 in white- a lot more svelte than the Moya

IMG_1981.jpeg

Crikey, Halcro and G2- do you have a "My System" page??

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/4/2024 at 1:49 PM, MTL said:

@ICUToo.

Hi David

Sorry but I don’t have a my system page.

Never got around to it😀

Best wishes

Mark

Too busy enjoying it I suppose

• Like 1