Favourite way to listen to Dark Side of the Moon

Listening to DSOTM?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I suspect that many of us have multiple copies of DSOTM (Dark Side of the Moon) but we each have favourites.  There is something like a thousand versions, but rather than asking you which version, the poll will focus on which media to make things easier. You can then post about the versions and explain why.

It is meant to be a fun discussion that respects all sides.  Please observe forum guidelines.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ars Paart said:

Both questions appear to have same option!

The first one asks about all the media that you consume.  The second is your favourite.  However, please suggest improvements if this does not make sense...

7 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

The first one asks about all the media that you consume.  The second is your favourite.  However, please suggest improvements if this does not make sense...

Oh, I see. I thought from the title of the first one ("can be stereo, quad, multi channel, Atmos etc ?") that these were going to be among the options. For example, I listen to SACD, in multichannel. Others may listen to the SACD in stereo, or the CD layer of the SACD. 

Whatever, that's a different poll. Must be Friday afternoon.

3 minutes ago, Ars Paart said:

Oh, I see. I thought from the title of the first one ("can be stereo, quad, multi channel, Atmos etc ?") that these were going to be among the options. For example, I listen to SACD, in multichannel. Others may listen to the SACD in stereo, or the CD layer of the SACD.

I understand where you are coming from, but it would have made the poll more complex.  So I decided to disregard stereo or multi channel etc.  If you like, please post your favorite media and the number of channels.

12 minutes ago, extract said:

Got a CD rip of the Black Triangle version (CP35-3017) which is the best digital version money can buy. 

I assume you are referring to the loudness war database, sort by Max DR?  If so, then it has been overtaken by the Alan Parson's quad version (which I have and will post my opinions once a few more votes come in)

5 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I assume you are referring to the loudness war database, sort by Max DR?  If so, then it has been overtaken by the Alan Parson's quad version (which I have and will post my opinions once a few more votes come in)

Partially yes, but it's just well mastered since there is no background hiss and you can crank up the volume with no distortion/harshness whatsoever. Maybe i should've said for 2 channel this is the best recording since now there exists a Quad mix and i think an Atmos mix was released this year?.

• Like 1

My favourite way recently was to be present for a performance by the Australian Rock Collective of the entire album at the Albury Entertainment Centre. The sound was amazing, an absolute credit to the performers and technical crew. It doesn’t matter how much I enjoy it at home on my system, from which I derive great pleasure, hearing it loud and live in a purpose built venue was an absolute pleasure and privilege. 

• Like 1

Thank you to all who have voted.  When I started this thread and poll, I suspected that the majority of users were vinyl, and likely 2 channel.  The poll shows a clear preference for vinyl.

Are there any vinyl users here who still have a quad setup or remember having one?  If so, then you will appreciate the re-mastered 4.0 on blu ray, which is my preference.  However, I also like the immersive Atmos version and will be the demo that I show friends. 

I like the multi channel versions so much that I rarely listen to 2 channel DSOTM.  But I appreciate that many stereo listeners do not like their music appearing in all directions, and that is OK.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, extract said:

Partially yes, but it's just well mastered since there is no background hiss and you can crank up the volume with no distortion/harshness whatsoever. Maybe i should've said for 2 channel this is the best recording since now there exists a Quad mix and i think an Atmos mix was released this year?.

If you like to crank it up, and with no background hiss, the best way is the Quad ** or Atmos ** mix in a home theatre setup with multi subs!  😃   Yes, your ripped version is still the best digital stereo.

The Atmos mix came out earlier in a US$300 box set, but the standalone Atmos version was released today for a mere A$42 at JB Hi-Fi!  :shocked: 

Edited by Snoopy8
Added **
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

I assume you are referring to the loudness war database, sort by Max DR? 

By the way those numbers it shows is for the pre-emphasis version, once it's been de-emphasized the numbers look like this: 

foobar2000 2.1 preview 2023-10-11 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2023-10-13 21:09:38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Pink Floyd / The Dark Side of the Moon
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
DR11      -8.65 dB   -22.52 dB      3:57 01-Speak to Me / Breathe in the Air
DR10      -8.33 dB   -23.33 dB      3:32 02-On the Run
DR9       -8.14 dB   -20.56 dB      7:05 03-Time
DR9       -7.46 dB   -21.91 dB      4:47 04-The Great Gig in the Sky
DR11      -5.04 dB   -20.02 dB      6:24 05-Money
DR10      -8.31 dB   -22.41 dB      7:49 06-Us and Them
DR12      -5.96 dB   -19.69 dB      3:26 07-Any Colour You Like
DR11      -6.95 dB   -22.81 dB      3:50 08-Brain Damage
DR9       -5.59 dB   -19.08 dB      2:07 09-Eclipse

Number of tracks:  9
Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate:        44100 Hz
Channels:          2
Bits per sample:   16
Bitrate:           658 kbps
Codec:             FLAC
================================================================================

For anyone who doesn't know about pre-emphasis/de-emphasis refer to this page for info about it - https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Pre-emphasis

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Godot said:

Is there a consensus 😀!! On an internet forum! 🍿

US$1,600  to get best version?  Ouch!  :shocked:  Makes the US$300 5Oth Anniversary box sound like a bargain.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

For the vinyl owners, is there a consensus on a best version or is this something that will never be settled?   And do any of you still have a quad LP version ?

Don't know about a consensus, but I have a few versions, including the quad version, and the 2016 remaster is as good as any, but truly, you have to be very picky I think, to choose it over an original Harvest or the quad version.

• Like 1