RAAL CA-1A - Upcoming Circumaural Ribbon Headphone

This is the can I'm most interested in hearing. Big praise!

Small clip of the protoype here: https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxSc_5p2bUq0GIOYoJquYB2fkGywW25IIg

Some info in the head-fi thread scattered around.

@Indie Hi-Fi will be getting some in soon enough.

It uses a ribbon driver like the SR1a but in a small format, and has a full cup with pads that rest on your face like normal-ish. Not this hovering over your ear crap like the SR1a or Abyss 1266.

Comes with a transfer box that lets you run them off any decently powerful balanced headphone amplifier, or any speaker amplifier, as the RAAL cans have crazy low impedance. Most of their impedance comes from the cable itself.

20220520_154302.jpg

• Like 1

I am hanging out for these too.

I wonder if this cutout is a vent that doubles as a passage for glasses wearers too or just an artifact of this sample model.

image.png.eae52ae82ad2552215667c5efcb95cce.png

I got to hear the SR1a from the new transformer box briefly last week with Hugo @Indie Hi-Fi using a Feliks Envy to power them and I much preferred over the HSA1b.

From what I gather these should naturally have a more agreeable tonal balance too. More low end, not as bright.

Even if the gap doesn't line up with glasses, wonder if you could unstick two of the segments and just shift them a bit. Certainly would be something I would attempt.

2 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Heaps of photos now posted for the samples going out to the next hifi show. Looking cool.

20220608_144939.jpg

Reminds me of Grado in regard to the pads even the G cushions are scratchy and not comfortable. Had few Grados over the years and the comfort thing never changes

Neo

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Resident Mola Mola dealer discusses his CA-1A experience and explains why his mouse scroll button is broken.

I've also been informed there is another new pad. Should have in my mits soon to try. Its apparently a pad that adds bass slowly from 500hz down and doesn't effect mids. We shall see.

• Haha 1