Currently Spinning

Good Morning All,

Beginning the day with Music For Quiet Mornings by Endless Melancholy, a discography download from Bandcamp of 28 albums and EPs for about $A20 or more of ambient piano.

As he says of himself "Endless Melancholy is a self-descriptive music act from Kyiv, Ukraine. Disappointing everyone since 2011"

Melencholy.jpg.0237c6591325a4af66ed11bdf7b7e021.jpg

JJ

• Like 3

Good morning. Another short day at the office. Too hot.

Cinematic Orchestra - Every Day 

And they're about to release their first new album in over a decade.

The Cinematic Orchestra return with their incredible new album To Believe, the first new studio LP from the group in twelve years. Having previously given us a first glimpse of what to expect with the instantly sold out A Caged Bird/Imitations Of Life 12" featuring Roots Manuva, To Believe finds founding member Jason Swinscoe and longtime partner Dominic Smith constructing seven songs that transcend jazz through the group's elegant orchestrations and electronics.

Calling on friends and collaborators both old and new, To Believe features an all-star line up of musicians and vocalists including Moses Sumney, Roots Manuva, Heidi Vogel, Grey Reverend (vocalist on Bonobo’s 'First Fires’), Dorian Concept and Tawiah (Mark Ronson, Kindness), and Miguel Atwood-Ferguson (Flying Lotus, Anderson Paak, Thundercat, Hiatus Kaiyote) who features on strings. Resulting in an incredibly rich in detail suite of harmonious, downtempo sounds as spoken through the band’s unique sonic language. To Believe is an album that will sit alongside the current wave of artists looking towards and crafting out their own worlds within jazz, from Kamasi Washington, Sons Of Kemet and BADBADNOTGOOD to Ólafur Arnalds and Floating Points, a movement that The Cinematic Orchestra helped pave the way decades ago.

As Ninja Tune writes “a work that is not only their best and most definitive to date but by asking these questions it’s also that which best reflects the great beauty in life."

On 180g vinyl and cd. Pre-orders at Bleep.

images (94).jpeg

• Like 2

will wrap up the exploration of 2001 albums with

Gorillaz - Gorillaz (2001)

sd0227-418083417.jpg

edit: it's funny how 90's split over into 2000's. Most of the stuff I played from 2001 sounds so much like 90's music. I can't remember similar thing happening from 80's into 90's. There was a resurgence of 80's electro pop etc but mostly after 95, 96 when Grunge started to vane.

Edited by zippi
  • Like 3

Hey Guys.  I bought this 2nd hand at Ashwoods in Pitt St, Sydney, for $2.75, over 30 years ago.  I've written before that I've always looked after my records, but only with spray and a cloth.  I recently started sink washing, but now I'm onto glue cleaning too.

With this album being second hand, it's probably never sounded it's best since new.  After a glue clean it has really bounced back, so good it got my full attention in the sweet spot.

Ace Frehley  'Solo Album'  1978 Casablanca Records, USA. Astor Records.

31412171_AceFrehleySoloAlbum1978CasablancaRecordsUSA.AstorRecords..JPG.96c0b7647107a0a863cfc7268ea5440f.JPG

Close to the best Kiss record for me.  I like a couple of tracks on Paul's, and Gene's is pretty good, except 'When You Wish Upon A Star', Peter Criss' was not what I was expecting and I never play it.  I had another Criss solo record, just after Kiss, I don't play that one either (if I still have it).

But this one is a classic Hard rock album 'round these parts.  A cracking opening with 'Rip it Out', 'Snow Blind', 'Ozone' (prob my fav), 'New York Groove', Wiped Out' and 'Fractured Mirror' all being great tracks.

I have two Frehleys Comet albums on vinyl, will have to clean them up now.

Then a drastic swing to one with a few more dynamics...

Pendulum  'Hold Your Colour'  2005  Breakbeat Chaos, London. Made in England. 3 x 12inch 45.

1987025351_PendulumHoldYourColour2005BreakbeatChaosLondon.MadeinEngland.3x12inch45..JPG.f8ce541c2a22059fc72bc9071d120720.JPG

Drum & Bass from the Aussie outfit who released 'Coma' many moons ago.  Relocated to the U.K.  I have the first and second CD's, but nice to have this one on vinyl.  It's such a cool cover too.

• Like 2

Hi All,

Finishing the day with Samaya - Benefit album for Cheb I Sabbah

Samaya.jpg.9611dc75b579aeaf53b9d625707e20d5.jpg

An incredible collection of some of global music's finest musicians have gathered to contribute exclusive tracks and remixes to help raise money for fusion pioneer Cheb i Sabbah's health care costs, in his battle against cancer.

JJ

• Like 3

To Top