Currently Spinning

I remember there was post a couple of years back, I think by your good self, maybe at a GTG showing these huge towering speakers, perhaps your old digs? and that you had put this on and surprised a few folks ;)

Though that was probably as you say the sound quality, I have very distinct memories of hearing this album for the first time as a young teenager and being blown away! Thinking they were more just a rock band, and the music was incredible.

Pisses me off that I have to get vinyl to hear how awesome it can sound, as no vinyl for me, HD do the job through the old Squeezeboxen?

This. Up there as one of the... geez whats the bloody word.. iconic.. symbolic of Strayan.. Australian albums.

Yeah that sounds like me, big speakers and subjecting friends to Midnight Oil regardless of their opinion. Not much changes :P

Forget the Squeezebox as the hint is in the name, it squeezes all the life and dynamics from the music. If you don't own a TT then you really must. The first album you should buy is a US press of RATM mastered by RL. Its the endgame :thumb:

• Like 3

A CD I picked up in a sale yesterday.

wpid-Lady_Gaga_2010_VSQ_Performs_Lady_Ga

The Vitamin String Quartet playing Lady Gaga songs.

I had never heard of these guys before, and have never really listened to Lady Gaga, but I bought it out of curiosity.

A 2010 recording. Its actually quite good, well played and well recorded. None of the songs (tunes, really, as it is an acoustic instrumental album) are recognisable to me, and there is a certain sameness to a lot of them, but it is quite an enjoyable album nonetheless.

A check online shows that these guys have been quite prolific, having released around 50 albums since the late 90s! Seems they do cover albums of just about everybody. Not sure what to think about that, I imagine things might become a bit formulaic after a while. In fact, it looks like all they do is cover albums. It would be good to see them do some original material for a change.

Not a bad pickup though.

• Like 1

Yeah that sounds like me, big speakers and subjecting friends to Midnight Oil regardless of their opinion. Not much changes :P

I remember there was post a couple of years back, I think by your good self, maybe at a GTG showing these huge towering speakers, perhaps your old digs? and that you had put this on and surprised a few folks ;)

Never liked Midnight Oil T'll I heard them that day at @@mondie 's on those big bugger speakers and system - a great day in the SNA life of Grumpy

Edited by Grumpy
  • Like 3

THE WOODENTOPS - Giant

I think they are still together.

attachicon.gifWoodentops Giant.jpg

THE CURE - The Head On The Door

attachicon.gifCure Head On.jpg

ah, The Cure, saw 'em live at the Armadale hotel, Melbourne 1980

http://www.cure-concerts.de/concerts/1980-08-21.php

one of the best PA's I've ever heard, Neve 24 channel studio mixer, Turbosound speakers (now Funktion One)

• Like 2

THE HOUSE OF LOVE - Their second "difficult" album - The Butterfly Album, Fontana,1990, NL

She, she she she Shine On.      One of my fav bands is the House of Love.  Nothing wrong with the album, they just suffered a backlash in signing with a major label in Fontana/EMI.  

Do you have Babe Rainbow?  Magnificent album, although arguably the compilation A Spy in The is the best.

Cheers

She, she she she Shine On.      One of my fav bands is the House of Love.  Nothing wrong with the album, they just suffered a backlash in signing with a major label in Fontana/EMI.  

Do you have Babe Rainbow?  Magnificent album, although arguably the compilation A Spy in The is the best.

Cheers

I think I only have one other, Audience With the Mind

• Like 1

Have fun,Leigh and thanks for the Smarties. :)

Haha! It looked like a bowl of smarties to me too, Martin. [emoji5]

It was a great gig. Closer to to being a house party than a gig at the Opera House. #sydneyoperahouseparty. @@Viognier and @@Bell Ringer were along too. That was my first gig of 2016. We're off to a good start.

Cheers,

Leigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Haha! It looked like a bowl of smarties to me too, Martin. [emoji5]

It was a great gig. Closer to to being a house party than a gig at the Opera House. #sydneyoperahouseparty. @@Viognier and @@Bell Ringer were along too. That was my first gig of 2016. We're off to a good start.

Cheers,

Leigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that gig blew the cobwebs from the ears. First of the year and first in a few weeks. Really enjoyed the show. Talk about flabby bass though.

• Like 2

Occasionally they add bass speakers on each side of the stage at SOH. Last night was one of those occasions. It usually sounds pretty good. I think last night they were trying to get as much out of them as possible. As Leigh said it was like a house party there last night. I suspect it was only the three SNAers there that commented, the rest of the punters just having a great time as were we.

• Like 1