Dali Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Old Man Rubber

According to the Dali website:

This is a speaker that will give you real DALI high quality sound reproduction at the same time as it will be able to wake up, not just your next door neighbour, but the entire neighbourhood

Sounds like they need something punchy to drive them (and your neighbours).  If you aren't happy with them, is your amp up to the job?

Or did the neighbours start complaining ?

I listened to these speakers back in 2006 when I first became interested in this hobby and was looking for my first set of speakers.  From memory, the concept range was Dali’s budget range. The Concept 10 was either the top or second top speaker in that range.

Dali is a respected Danish loudspeaker manufacturer.  Personally I found another speaker in the same price range that I liked more but really all that’s important is whether you like the speakers or not.

I've heard good things about them.  But as others have said, you should trust your ears.  If you're happy with how they sound then you should be happy with them.

If you're curious, then take some time to listening to other setups to compare and learn about what you're after in your setup.  You may find even after that you're quite happy with what you have and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!  Enjoy.

3 hours ago, Paul.D said:

I think they sound good. Is it worth keeping

Depends on what you are looking to achieve, and budget.

They are the biggest of the concept range and need some room from the wall. If you can give them some room they are decent for the budget Dali range.

I had a pair for a while but couldn't give them the room they need. They also like a decent amp.

I've had a set of the concept 10 and they were nice sounding speaker. I prefer the Dali ikon 7 if you wanted to stick with Dali this could be a possible upgrade. 

There is also the Dali zensor 7 which I haven't heard. I did own a pair of the zensor 5 though and was extremely impressed by their huge sound and rather small footprint (wife friendly) 

I had the Ikon 2s for years and never felt like I needed more, I added a small subwoofer at one point but it stayed unplugged most of the time. I never got to hear the 7s, but I imagine they were just more of a good thing.

Now I have the Opticon 8s and I cant see myself replacing them anytime soon.

I have a pair of Dali 109’s that I bought new back in 1995.
I had the foams and cones fixed/upgraded a few years back and added a bespoke tweeter on top.

They still sound fantastic and go VERY loud with a quality powerful amplifier. 
I recently bought a pair of ATC SCM40 speakers because the size is far more civilised.

I’ll be reluctantly selling the 109’s when the restrictions are over.
If anyone out there prefers pure, clean sound over ‘looks’, and if you can live with the huge size,  they are a great bargain buy. 
They out perform more expensive speakers for sheer power. They can go a fair bit louder than the ATCs and that’s saying something. 

• 1 month later...

The Concept range are the entry level range in the Dali lineup.  JB Hi Fi used to sell thousands of them in their prime.  A well priced banger box.  

I have the Dali Helicon 400mk2 made in Denmark. An amazing speaker as they are individually signed at the back by the engineer. 

regards

Michael 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Currently running Dali Concept 6 fronts, Concept Centre and Concept 1 surrounds, (along with a couple of Dali subs and Yamaha ic600 for Atmos):- would swapping out the Concept 6's for either Dali Oberon 5, Ikon 6, or Zensor 7 upset the balance with the remaining Concepts?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/9/2021 at 12:54 PM, ctguru said:

After some information

Anyone know if Dali Ikon 8 mark 1's were sold in Australia?  Seem to find lot's of Ikon 7's for sale

cheers

Rare but they turn-up occasionally.  I have a pair in front of me right now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 2:28 PM, Ray H said:

I had some Epicon a while back. Beautifully finished and wonderful sounding. Very under rated here in Australia.

6860A173-392E-48D7-983D-3EB6C8C0DDAF.jpeg

571CE9CC-8B86-46D7-9813-C7DDC9530520.jpeg

47A18421-67D6-440C-90CD-2C339CB02CC0.jpeg

Hi Ray,

Love your Epicon’s! What amplifier are you using?

I have the Evidence 470’s that I purchased in 2001 and they still sound great. However, I’m tempted to upgrade to the Rubicon 8 or the Epicon 6.

James

• 2 months later...

I had the Ikon 2 MK1 for several years and loved them. Nothing I listened to quite had the same high end as they did for anywhere near the price.

Mid last year I did some hunting around for my next upgrade but ended up back at Dali again and got a set of Opticon 8 Mk1s.

I haven't had my subwoofer plugged in since then and I don't miss it.

• Like 1