4k player for Atmos

Since installing my Atmos I'm now finding most of my Blu ray discs don't have Atmos which is disappointing when I thought they would. John Wick 123, Unbroken, Infinity War, End Game just to name a few.

So, wondering my best path, 4k Player or streaming (assuming 4k has Atmos). I do like having discs. Read that Apple 4k TV is best for 4k Support. I do have super fast internet, 200mbps plus.

Will probably get a 4k Player, but which one?

Have always like Panasonic. Again cost is an issue though I saved quite well on Atmos setup for what I have. I don't have any 4k viewing.

Cheers

Edited by SGS

16 minutes ago, SGS said:

Since installing my Atmos I'm now finding most of my Blu ray discs don't have Atmos which is disappointing when I thought they would. John Wick 123, Unbroken, Infinity War, End Game just to name a few.

So, wondering my best path, 4k Player or streaming (assuming 4k has Atmos). I do like having discs. Read that Apple 4k TV is best for 4k Support. I do have super fast internet, 200mbps plus.

Have always like Panasonic. Again cost is an issue though I saved quite well on Atmos setup for what I have. I don't have any 4k viewing.

Cheers

pretty sure unbroken blu-ray has atmos ...its a good demo disc for that

john wick the 4k uhd definitely has atmos

most 4k uhd discs do have atmos or dts-X which his a bit more rare,

that said it is correct in some cases the 4k uhd disc has the 3d audio track that the blu-ray doesnt

no atmos is more rare with streaming. yes apple TV 4k is probably THE media streamer if wanting to stream

in the disc players, yep id get the panasonic.... 

20 minutes ago, SGS said:

Cheers

Agree with the Panasonic,  budget go with the UB820 or 900 but long term the UB9000 like I did.

9 minutes ago, betty boop said:

pretty sure unbroken blu-ray has atmos ...its a good demo disc for that

john wick the 4k uhd definitely has atmos

most 4k uhd discs do have atmos or dts-X which his a bit more rare,

that said it is correct in some cases the 4k uhd disc has the 3d audio track that the blu-ray doesnt

no atmos is more rare with streaming. yes apple TV 4k is probably THE media streamer if wanting to stream

in the disc players, yep id get the panasonic.... 

Was reading another thread where you stated Au Unbroken blu ray doesn't, long time ago. Checked the back, no Atmos listed, I haven't actually watched it yet tbh so I don't really know.

Currently only have a fetch box which doesn't do 4k or Atmos, or even Prime at this stage being a mini.

Good to know most 4k4dkiscs have Atmos

5 minutes ago, evil c said:

Agree with the Panasonic,  budget go with the UB820 or 900 but long term the UB9000 like I did.

UB9000 is going to be well out of reach money wise.

Was looking online at UB420, states it dies 4k streaming as well, correct on Panasonics?

I'll keep looking for the 820 or 900.

5 minutes ago, SGS said:

Was reading another thread where you stated Au Unbroken blu ray doesn't, long time ago. Checked the back, no Atmos listed, I haven't actually watched it yet tbh so I don't really know.

I was actually initially wrong on that and was corrected :) its definitely there :) its a cracker of a disc :)

5 minutes ago, SGS said:

Currently only have a fetch box which doesn't do 4k or Atmos, or even Prime at this stage being a mini.

yes unfortunately fetch is ok for fta but thats about it. i use appletv for any streaming :) 

3 minutes ago, SGS said:

'll keep looking for the 820 or 900.

definitely they do come up 2nd hand... and am sure be sales with eofy :)  

4 minutes ago, SGS said:

Good to know most 4k4dkiscs have Atmos

Go for an Apple 4K set top, I use it regularly with Netflix especially with 4K movies.

Even regular ,suspect better resolution over the Fetch! ?

I wasn't  really thinking straight when I got the Fetch. I signed up for cable internet in Ballarat got the Fetch due to Discovery and Turbo being on it to ditch Foxtel ans save a bit of coin, which I haven't yet...

UB820 apparently has the same processing as the 9000, looks like my target. EOFY or marketplace here I think.

Have looked into Apple 4k will probably get one.

I'm happy you were wrong betty boop, been looking forward to Unbroken in Atmos. Was great at show.

Cheers for the help

4 hours ago, SGS said:

UB820 apparently has the same processing as the 9000, looks like my target. EOFY or marketplace here I think.

Have looked into Apple 4k will probably get one.

The only difference between the 820 and 420 SGS for your purposes is if you want dolby vision and your panel has it ? otherwise it has the same HCX processor and you dont need the 820's multi analogue output. If the panas netflix and prime streaming doesnt cut it ; maybe put the money saved toward the better apple tv  and more uhd discs..

https://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/home-entertainment/blu-ray-and-dvd-players/dp-ub420.html

12 hours ago, SGS said:

UB820 apparently has the same processing as the 9000,

As does the UB420, got one and it rocks along very nicely. Last night watched Black Hawk Down with Atmos speakers - GREAT !!

Can also stream from our Synology NAS so another benefit, the Apps are a pretty "poxxy" but we use the YouTube & Kodi apps on the Sony X900F

• Like 1

Maybe  I can offer a different perspective:
If it's the enveloping experience you're after, some movies are able to give that despite being "only" 5.1 or 7.1

Try out "Riddick" when the monsters walk on the zinc roof

Or "Masters and Commanders" during the first cannon fight

Even Band of Brothers Epi 2, when the German lobs the grenade - you can trace the path overhead if you have system that's well setup. Cheers

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cwt said:

The only difference between the 820 and 420 SGS for your purposes is if you want dolby vision and your panel has it ? otherwise it has the same HCX processor and you dont need the 820's multi analogue output. If the panas netflix and prime streaming doesnt cut it ; maybe put the money saved toward the better apple tv  and more uhd discs..

https://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/home-entertainment/blu-ray-and-dvd-players/dp-ub420.html

2 minutes ago, exitguy said:

As does the UB420, got one and it rocks along very nicely. Last night watched Black Hawk Down with Atmos speakers - GREAT !!

Can also stream from our Synology NAS so another benefit, the Apps are a pretty "poxxy" but we use the YouTube & Kodi apps on the Sony X900F

Thankyou both.

I don't need analogue out nor do I have a Dolby Vision TV, though one day I might except pana oleds are gone.

Leaves coin for a Apple TV

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SGS said:

Thankyou both.

I don't need analogue out nor do I have a Dolby Vision TV, though one day I might except pana oleds are gone.

yep very sad the pana oled gone, also have read the sony oled dont actually do DV ie they just tone map.... samsung just emulate as well I dont know if DV all that to be worrying about. 

6 minutes ago, SGS said:

Leaves coin for a Apple TV

ive owned a few players and the apps on them for streaming as described above are poxy. they also very unfortunately output 4k 50/60 everything whether even 4k 24 ! which is crazy ! and not good really. if wanting to stream 4k apple tv can provide match to source outputs which is only way to fly...

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

yep very sad the pana oled gone, also have read the sony oled dont actually do DV ie they just tone map.... samsung just emulate as well I dont know if DV all that to be worrying about. 

Several weeks ago I was in a shop and they still had a 65 pana oled. Was very tempted, display stock, discounted.

But when I'm on a tight budget to get certain things done justifying it was difficult when I already have a 65 screen, albeit older pana led. 

Or do I one day just go projector and screen, I have the room for it. I guess if I go oled it will be LG now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SGS said:

Several weeks ago I was in a shop and they still had a 65 pana oled. Was very tempted, display stock, discounted.

But when I'm on a tight budget to get certain things done justifying it was difficult when I already have a 65 screen, albeit older pana led. 

Or do I one day just go projector and screen, I have the room for it. I guess if I go oled it will be LG now.

As I recall your room ... it’s begging for a projector :) keep the pana led for day to day viewing and use a motorised drop down screen for big screen experience :)

larger screen telly are getting so expensive, especially the good ones. And you don’t want to cheap out when going big. Bigger the screen the more apparent the flaws become. When start spending so much on a telly comes to point projector so much more affordable for screen size !

• Like 1

As I recall your room ... it’s begging for a projector :) keep the pana led for day to day viewing and use a motorised drop down screen for big screen experience :)

larger screen telly are getting so expensive, especially the good ones. And you don’t want to cheap out when going big. Bigger the screen the more apparent the flaws become. When start spending so much on a telly comes to point projector so much more affordable for screen size !

Already had thoughts along the projector and drop down screen path, partly why I haven't done anything as yet. 

• Like 2

On 13/06/2020 at 11:36 PM, betty boop said:

I was actually initially wrong on that and was corrected :) its definitely there :) its a cracker of a disc :)

yes unfortunately fetch is ok for fta but thats about it. i use appletv for any streaming :) 

definitely they do come up 2nd hand... and am sure be sales with eofy :)  

So does the Australian Unbroken Blu Ray have atmos? It just isn't listed on the back? I was going to get it, but the rear cover is only showing DTS-HD MA 5.1

9 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

So does the Australian Unbroken Blu Ray have atmos? It just isn't listed on the back? I was going to get it, but the rear cover is only showing DTS-HD MA 5.1

Yes.

just the trap I fell in initially and everyone else seems to as well. Yes it has atmos 

• Like 1

On the topic, my take is discs are the best way to get the best AV result, and yes the Panasonic current gen players are a great option. If you are wanting region free, probably want to get a modded Sony though.

On streaming, in all honesty do not waste your time on any disc player providing an all in one solution. There isn't even a single streaming only device that does everything. The AppleTV is pretty close, but it has some limitations (eg the best you will get out of youtube and Google Play movies is 1080p stereo). Youtube and Google play movies are a bit of a joke though and they don't support atmos in google play movies. You can get 4k HDR and DV in a couple of devices. Apple TV does tick most of the boxes though in that it supports native frame rates (a HUGE point of importance to me) and atmos. Out of the box, it seems to have pretty hideous defaults and can revert to those hideous defaults whenever it feels like it, apparently even after unplugging it, or updates. I made the mistake of trying it Friday after an update with a 4k DV purchase, and was shocked at how bad the image was  with horrific posturization and banding. I knew it wasn't my link or LAN and I thought it was just the expected level of quality they produce. It was so bad I wen't back to settings and yes, it had reverted to default, so match frame rate was off, match dynamic range off. I put them back and what an improvement...

• Like 2

Thanks Mobe. That gives a pretty definative answer. Will continue buying discs, I do like hard copies anyway. Don't use player for streaming. 

Replacing Fetch box was always going to be Apple as aside from Xbox, the only option for 4k and Atmos from the major streaming services.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SGS said:

Thanks Mobe. That gives a pretty definative answer. Will continue buying discs, I do like hard copies anyway. Don't use player for streaming. 

Replacing Fetch box was always going to be Apple as aside from Xbox, the only option for 4k and Atmos from the major streaming services.

problem too wiht streaming SGS is quality can be quite variable.... and plus they tend to just take off from steam when ever takes their fancy. we also see to have for instance some things only available on us outlet rather than aussie and what not. cant be signing up to all of them to get to see what want !  so yeah discs definitely worth it in the long run.

• Like 1

problem too wiht streaming SGS is quality can be quite variable.... and plus they tend to just take off from steam when ever takes their fancy. we also see to have for instance some things only available on us outlet rather than aussie and what not. cant be signing up to all of them to get to see what want !  so yeah discs definitely worth it in the long run.

Will have to buy several 4k movies at sime point. 

I put Unbroken on  indeed it is Atmos 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

Ugh, and not to mention when the US iTunes store has them in 4k atmos and we only have HD. But yeah when there is a movie you want legally, in at least HD, not on disc, not on any streaming service in Australia, and not on iTunes Australia, but it is in iTunes US that is annoying. I'm still waiting to see Eight Legged Freaks again. Can't take DVD though....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Ugh, and not to mention when the US iTunes store has them in 4k atmos and we only have HD. But yeah when there is a movie you want legally, in at least HD, not on disc, not on any streaming service in Australia, and not on iTunes Australia, but it is in iTunes US that is annoying. I'm still waiting to see Eight Legged Freaks again. Can't take DVD though....

Oh dear. That is disappointing. And some call this the lucky country.

25 minutes ago, SGS said:

Oh dear. That is disappointing. And some call this the lucky country.

We are pretty lucky. A lot of the whole digital realm though has been an utter mess for us though. Better now than ten years ago though. Another reason I will always try to get physical media as first priority...

• Like 2