Linn upgrade spenders delight......NEW upgrades available!

For all of you who own the 'money pit' TT......the Linn LP12.....great news.......you can now spend even more money on it......to continue the endless search for whatever it is you are seeking.?

https://theaudiophileman.com/serene-linn-upgrade-kit-from-stack-audio/?ct=t(Newsletter_copy_66_11_5_2016_COPY_164)&mc_cid=67c9ca4624&mc_eid=b647de8b62

Stack Audio are the latest company to cash in on your SQ anxiety (if that is all it is)! You can spend anything up to 974 pounds.......so great news!?

The author rates the upgrades an 8/10, saying the 'good' points are:: " focused bass, midrange transparency, value for money, tonality ".

I ask, were these qualities not inherent in the original and expensive untouched LP12??

STACK AUDIO SERENE LINN LP12 UPGRADE KIT

PRICES:

All the parts are available separately. Prices as follows:

• Serene Top Plate = £150
  • Ultimate Top Plate = £450
  • Serene Baseboard = £140
  • Ultimate Baseboard = £215
  • Arm Board = £75 (all arm fittings)
  • Subchassis = £240
  • Cross-brace = £45

In addition to the Full Sets at £618 (Serene) and £974 (Ultimate) Stack Audio sell some partial sets. All sets include a 5% discount over buying the parts separately.

• Serene Platform Set = £342 (Arm Board, Subchassis and Cross-brace)
  • Serene Structure Set = £318 (Top Plate, Cross-brace and Baseboard)
  • Ultimate Structure Set = £675 (Top Plate, Cross-brace and Baseboard)

Full details are available on the Stack Audio website ‘buy’ page: stackaudio.co.uk/shop-product

Edited by stevoz

Great thing about LP12s,  like Rega - is stock standard sound very good. 

If you want to throw money at them, bit by bit and get satisfaction plus notice the improvements - well no one's getting hurt! ?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, evil c said:

Great thing about LP12s,  like Rega - is stock standard sound very good. 

If you want to throw money at them, bit by bit and get satisfaction plus notice the improvements - well no one's getting hurt! ?

Absolutely true.? I just get a bit of a giggle out of the relentless upgraditis of some Linn owners.....but you're right, whatever makes them happy......which poses another question......will they ever be truly happy??

Edited by stevoz

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

Absolutely true.? I just get a bit of a giggle out of the relentless upgraditis of some Linn owners.....but you're right, whatever makes them happy......which poses another question......will they ever be truly happy??

I think that comment applies to all parts of a system .

I updated a few bits on my Linn and very happy with it for a few years. 

That's like a lifetime to many hardcore updaters/ tweakers. ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, evil c said:

I think that comment applies to all parts of a system .

... and life. We buy a car and go about changing wheels, fitting headlight covers and tinting windows. We buy a perfectly good house and spend a heap on renovations just so we can put our own stamp on it. It's simply being human.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, t_mike said:

... and life. We buy a car and go about changing wheels, fitting headlight covers and tinting windows. We buy a perfectly good house and spend a heap on renovations just so we can put our own stamp on it. It's simply being human.

By George you're right, the Linn really is overdue for some ultra exxy updates ! ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevoz said:

I just get a bit of a giggle out of the relentless upgraditis of some Linn owners.....but you're right, whatever makes them happy......which poses another question......will they ever be truly happy??

Well, Steve ... yes, I can say - having upgraded a hi-spec LP12 to my 'SkeletaLinn' - I am truly happy.   :thumb:

(Think of the SkeletaLinn as a Linn without 3 components which are known to influence - and therefore potentially degrade - the sound of an LP12:

• the plinth
  • a top-plate, and
  • an armboard.

But still with Linn:

• springs & grommets
  • Cirkus bearing
  • outer platter.  :) )

Plus it has a 12" arm - which no standard LP12 can cope with.  :)

But that doesn't mean that, say, if Linn release a quieter bearing ... I wouldn't upgrade!  :lol:

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

i bought my Linn secondhand in 1979, a few mods on the way, refurbished in 2014 with mods that changed the TT completly, hardly played it, sold it in 2017, don;t miss it at all. using a modded original rega planar 2, still enjoying my music

I took andyr’s advice and went for the skeletaLinn mod- ended up looking just like a Kuzma Stabi S ?

Brian Madden at Decibel imports  the Stack Audio gear.

I had him fit a black Serene Ultimate top plate and it looked pretty good.

Edited by Tim D
Grammar

13 minutes ago, Tim D said:

I took andyr’s advice and went for the skeletaLinn mod- ended up looking just like a Kuzma Stabi S ?

Que??

I'm not aware I sent you my dwgs for the SkeletaLinn, Tim?  It certainly doesn't look anything a  Kuzma Stabi S!  :lol:  RP8 maybe (they copied my concept)!  :lol:

Andy

Edited by andyr

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

Que??

I'm not aware I sent you my dwgs for the SkeletaLinn, Tim?  It certainly doesn't look anything a  Kuzma Stabi S!  :lol:  RP8 maybe!

Andy

Same thing, no plinth. ?  You also told me I needed 45 and I said I never listen to 45s.

Listening to DK Quiet Nights on 45 right now..

Edited by Tim D

2 minutes ago, Tim D said:

Same thing, no plinth. ?  You also told me I needed 45 and I said I never listen to 45s.

Listening to DK Quiet Nights on 45 right now..

Curiouser and curiouser!  You "never listen to 45s" ... and now you are, Tim!  :)

So you've had a "Damascene moment"?

Andy

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

Curiouser and curiouser!  You "never listen to 45s" ... and now you are, Tim!  :)

So you've had a "Damascene moment"?

Andy

Not quite that dramatic but perhaps I shouldn’t say never till I’ve tried it ?