Ad Astra

Saw it today. - first up despite the trailers, although there scenes with action in them - it is not an action movie.  It a very involved movie with alot going on.  Fx are very good and it is pretty much Brad Pitts movie with some TLJ. 

There are some suspend your belief bits and some why bits. 

Obvious comparisons are interstellar, perhaps the martian, some blade runner and a vietnam.war movie. Maybe gravity but i never saw that, cant stand GC

I enjoyed it , OST is good too. 

Edited by cafe67
  • Like 2

Saw it at the weekend - was waiting for George Clooney to float by after saying goodbye to Sandra Bullock.

While I did think it was good I prefer Interstellar and blade runner or Martian more - but my GF liked it and she generally hates Scifi/Marvel/Action but likes things like Angel Baby (!!) so yep agree, not an action...wonder if Ryan Gosling was considered for the role after his top performance in Bladerunner.

The midnight Pancake Parlour Docklands was good afterwards with enough maple syrup to send a rocket to the stars.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wasn’t impressed.  I felt no connection between Pitt and TLJ, and the storyline didn’t really do much.  Even the feeling between Pitt and Tyler was flat.  There’s been a few space movies in the past few years, this is about the bottom of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

Wasn’t impressed.  I felt no connection between Pitt and TLJ, and the storyline didn’t really do much.  Even the feeling between Pitt and Tyler was flat.  There’s been a few space movies in the past few years, this is about the bottom of them.

While I wouldn't be as critical I also wasn't that impressed...... I suppose I was hoping for something in the same league as Interstellar or Arrival, while it had the potential it just didn't come through..... :no:

It felt like Pitt had decided that his character was autistic and that was the role he was going to play.

• Like 1

I absolutely loved it. I think with the benefit of time it will be regarded even better than Interstellar. With his other role in One Upon a Time in Hollywood, Brad Pitt helped make two of this year's three best films; Joker is my other favourite.

Edited by was_a

Couldn't disagree more! It's by far his best effort, a mature filmmaker at his peak. His movie references, blending of footage, camera-work, pacing... My movie of the year (and I'm not even a Tarantino fan).

Edited by was_a

14 minutes ago, was_a said:

Couldn't disagree more! It's by far his best effort, a mature film-maker at his peak. His historical references, camera-work, pacing... Easily the movie of the year.

It’s the most predictable movie he’s made, and it goes nowhere - slowly!  As for historical references, I mean, to start with, the Manson gang didn’t even step foot on Tate’s property!  ?

On 20/12/2019 at 2:16 PM, Kaynin said:

Yeah, after some good deep sci fi films, and following the story of this, I was kind of expecting there to be something profound with the TLJ story and relationship, what was happening at Neptune. But no, it was all just more or less plain from start, and the father was just an ahole...

• Like 1

hmmm... dont know .... I liked the feel of the movie watching today... elements of interstellar wiht the long space travel, gravity with the start... and also the martian in the loneliness aspect... left felt a bit empty at end... not really sure what point of it was all about.... has made think in some ways so if that was goal achieved.... but its not in rank of other films mentioned ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

hmmm... dont know .... I liked the feel of the movie watching today... elements of interstellar wiht the long space travel, gravity with the start... and also the martian in the loneliness aspect... left felt a bit empty at end... not really sure what point of it was all about.... has made think in some ways so if that was goal achieved.... but its not in rank of other films mentioned ...

Just finished watching it , al - family enjoyed it overall.

Often struggle to extend to a memorable storyline with these type of movies,  after expending bulk of the budget on the special effects etc.

7.5 score is about right. 

• Like 2

It seems to me that some of these Directors and Producers are outsmarting themselves and are losing the plot !!

They are trying to produce something different and are failing..

It was a movie trying so hard to be something else, but failing. 

I thought everything about it was bad, except it sole meaning. 

Stop chasing what doesn’t exist and enjoy what we have. 

To me in this film was metaphorical, intelligent life being god. 

4 hours ago, Sime said:

It was a movie trying so hard to be something else, but failing. 

I thought everything about it was bad, except it sole meaning. 

Stop chasing what doesn’t exist and enjoy what we have. 

To me in this film was metaphorical, intelligent life being god. 

Hmm.  Although I applaud and personally live by that sentiment (on not chasing what doesn't exist and enjoy what we have), it was not something I got from the movie. Other than indirectly as in what a waste of a life with the father...

I haven't really mentioned this elsewhere, but one other thing that really (and oddly) irritated me about the movie was just bad physics with stuff the rocket engines always being on, like they were in atmosphere. Or that ridiculous rocket ship entry on Mars. Not to mention the laughable action film trope of riding an explosion shock wave. I loved that bit in the movie "The Other Guys" where they were making fun of that...

Edited by Mobe1969

The first thing that made me laugh was when he fell off the space station thingy and plummeted to Earth and then opened a parachute...

Whatever happened to floating in space !!?