New System 20K

These speakers go flat to 20hz and they had 2 brilliant monos with plenty of grunt to deliver incredible bass. 

They still benefited even on female vocal from 2,4 and 6 subs was best. 

Subs aren't only about frequency extension and even top tier speakers benefit from subs. You see it with many manufactures like Avantgarde, Wilson Audio, Magico etc

IMG_20170202_121348.jpg

• Like 1

Trust me don't buy expensive speaker cables or xlrs until you have heard from Mike Lenehan from Lenehan audio in Qld. He build speaker cables similar price to what you have been quoted and have actually beat $10k Valhallas and stood up well against $50k speaker cables.

I agree with the sentiment that you should seriously consider Aussie made speakers. Not just for your patriotic duties (haha) but because you get much better bang for buck

The more you spend time with systems the more you start realising a lot of  big speaker brands are heavily hyped and rely on good marketing. The actual cost of the materials can be a lot less than what you would get with custom made Aussies. Also the fact is a lot of the cost of speakers and components come through dealer and wholesaler markups. WIth these guys you are going directly to the manufacturer. A speaker worth $15k might only cost 1-3k max to make with the bigger manufacturers. Local guys pass on good value I find.

I would speak to Rod from Legend speaker and Mike Lenehan from lenahan audio. Their products are top tier quality and both are fantastic to work with

I have also heard good things for Osborne speakers, VAF and Hegel speakers but I haven't heard them personally.

Trust me with this. :))

On a side note I would thoroughly recommend DEQX with whatever you do. Deqx makeevery speaker sound better IMO and you can custom your sound based on your room and even personal sound preferences. Digital DSP and EQ is just too important to ignore. If you find your speaker need more bass you can eq it out. Deqx along with good quality local Aussie made speakers is a very good value proposition

• Like 1

Guest DarkNark

20k ?

I would be tempted to see what a retailer could do Kii Three's for. Possibly have to up the budget a little, or maybe not.

20 hours ago, billy170468 said:

This is the quote from LWA for the system he suggests

https://imgur.com/a/zojlGoe

Can I do better?

Also, even if you stick to what you have picked I definitely think you can do better. Has he given you any discounts at all for all of that gear to purchase at once? The prices seem to be retail prices and what I am seeing on LWA website...

Just my 2 cents, and without having read any replies -

I wouldn’t buy a stubbie for 2 channel set-up, I’d look for floor standers that dig deep.  Also, cables are important but at $2,200???  Gee whizz, I’d drop the subbie cable, re-assess the cables to speaker and I/c only for $1000 total spend and re-divert the extra $4000 purely to upgrading the speakers.

Well said.

In addition, I’d downgrade from M6cd to the M3cd and save another $2k for the speaker budget.

With that extra cash, I’d be heading straight to a my local Harbeth retailer and picking up a pair of SHL5+ and stands. A great match for the MF M6si.

And add a BlueSound Node 2i for streaming duties.

• Like 2

On 12/06/2019 at 9:54 AM, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

@SGR Audio  would be another I’d look at if starting over, Australian made active speakers that take away the need for matching amps to speakers which is half the battle done!

Ditto.  I did the same with the Convex MK2 actives, addressed 4 issues re: speaker, amps, subs and speaker cable dilemmas.  This allowed me to simplify the overall system and pay more attention and coin across the sources, namely in this order - preamp, dac, streamer.  I have a TT setup, again this is simplified where the TT is connected to the phonostage (gain adjusted) so i can run it direct to the XLR input of the SGR actives.  My preamp is a passive one, ie - Schiit Saga, which i use for my digital sources - essentially a source selector with attenuation.  No gain needed as the output gain from my sources are 2v,.  I use 3m RCA and XLR cables, even at these length's i noticed to drop in gain or noise pickup at all - just dead silence at unity gain with my ears again the speaker's tweeters. :)

There are many recommendations for wireless active speakers. I am not pooh poohing the concept - my local HiFi shop has equipment of this type that is simply amazing.

But I am not sure I understand the compromises involved here for a HiFi enthusiast. There must be some "digital" protocol to get the signal to the speaker - eg wifi, then some sort of DAC in the speaker to process that, and then a dedicated amplifier in the speaker.

Wouldn't this mean a system that can't be meaningfully tweaked or upgraded?   Little point to get a better cleaner DAC if your interest takes you that way - since any signal is converted back to digital to send to the speaker, and then converted back to analogue by its DAC.

No option to upgrade the amplification if your interest takes you that way - it is built into the speaker.  At this price I couldn't live with that. When better digital sources come along I want to hear the improvement - this means very careful handling and preservation of the analogue signal from its DAC.

Amplifiers are more than just a boost with adequately clean distortion. They are the soul and character of the system. If my friend has a better or different amp - I want to plug it into my system and see if I like what it does.

On the other hand - the neatness would matter a lot of people.  Really just explaining my point of view - for others they are a great choice.  But if you want a sound that can evolve and change - ie. the HiFi hobby - then I don't really understand it.

Just my IMHO - please correct me if I don't really understand how these things work.

Edited by n0bleINtP
spelling / grammar

Guest deanB

Give me $20k today and I'll grab @gat474 Atc Scm40 actives ($10k) and ring up @JDWest aka Sublime Hifi and demand a great deal on an Atc Cda2 cdp/preamp/dac/headphone amp.

vC85WZCh7Y2pqiKmpajkNQ-650-80.jpg.3722ccd89a4851469a2f06189097a8b4.jpg

That would leave approximately $5k for xlr cable, room treatment, a small rack, a nice pair of Senns and hit Discogs for the most important part of the chain, more music.

Nice suggested system from LWA but $1400 for speaker cable? No, no, no.

On 12/06/2019 at 9:23 PM, n0bleINtP said:

@billy170468  Ok to embed the image?  (will remove if not...)

it all actually looks pretty good - I would spend less on a couple of things - but it is your system :) 

zb6OoIE.png

Go to Sydney hifi tell them “TAD joe” sent you. Tell them your intentions and you will be looked after with product, service and price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n0bleINtP said:

Wouldn't this mean a system that can't be meaningfully tweaked or upgraded?  

Simplicity in a music setup is liberating. I went from a multi component setup to a pair of Devialet Phantom Golds and do not miss the tweaking and upgrading of the various items. Nice to not have to look at which item to upgrade next, how to improve components with new PSU, which cable, tube to tweak etc.  

Can still do tweaks, but focused on improving the music not the components...

• Like 2