General Headphone Chat

2 hours ago, Bengineer said:

$2k is headphone and Amp? Have a DAC?

Open?

Sound preferences?

$2k would be the budget for everything, but I have been known to spend more if my brain screams "bargain".

I have an old Dragonfly Black as a DAC but I don't really think it'd be doing whatever amp/headphone I purchase justice.

Headphones I've owned and enjoyed are: LCD2C, Andromeda, WP-900.

I have spent some time at minidisc and liked the HD800S and Fostex TH909. There's something about the staging and openness of the HD800S that just wows me.

I have tried briefly and not really liked Focal Elear/Clear and the MrSpeakers Aeon.

2 hours ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

Hi there. The HD800s is a great place to start on orthodynamics. It really needs an OTL tube amp to sound best. Your 2K budget really places a lot of pressure on the DAC/Amp side to accommodate your choice of HP. You'd be looking at BH Crack/Schiit Valhalla type amp and Topping or similar DAC. Other orthos that you can pick up used like many of the cheaper Focals will be much easier to drive from SS. Decent used planars will be cheaper again and things like HiFiMan Sundara/Arya or Audeze LCD-X give a lot from a little. These can be driven from all in ones like the new Matrix Mini i-3, Topping DX7 or separates. It depends on your choice of genre and the sound you're looking for. There's quite a bit of difference between HD800s and planars in general. 

Don't be afraid of the "ChiFi". There's some really well made stuff from Topping, iFi, Matrix and Gustard. And the Schiit is not Schiit!

My 2c - YMMV.

Thanks for the advice! As for planar and solid state, I've been keeping an eye on the Cayin IHA-6 on the forums and the Ether Opens, thinking I could probably squeeze in those and maybe a Topping DAC for around $2k, but have no idea if I'd enjoy the sound.

12 minutes ago, Snrub said:

I've been keeping an eye on the Cayin IHA-6 on the forums and the Ether Opens, thinking I could probably squeeze in those and maybe a Topping DAC for around $2k

Instead of that you can look at Questyle CMA12 ?

Exceptionally powerful.

Heavy duty build.

AKM 44xx series chip (nice velvety sound chip known)

Remote

And pairs very very well with all headphones I have tried.

Under $2k, CMA12 can't be beaten.

Also Bengineer has one for sale (if its not sold already) for a bargain price 

Edited by peppy

HD800S - $1400 used

Jotunheim 2 - $620 new from Schiit US

Topping D50S or any other little value DAC - $200-300

Bit over but close. Powerful warmer Amp to pair with HD800S. And a solid performance little DAC.

...or add a Modi 3+ for $99 USD to the Schiit order. It's not "high end" but its certainly still good.

Edited by Bengineer

Thanks to all who provided their opinions and suggestions. I managed to pick up a HD800S from @peppy who managed to get it into my grubby mitts in record time.

In my search for an amp/dac to run them, I read some reviews that stated the Dethonray Honey H1 had some decent synergy for an all in one portable device. I managed to come across one on eBay and pulled the trigger.

I'm currently getting familiar with the both of them and am enjoying them very much so far. It definitely has the power to drive them via the 4.4mm balanced connection. I'll still likely try and find some tubey goodness to include in the mix. Current possibilities include the Xduoo TA-30, Xduoo MT-604, and Feliks Echo II. I'll also be keeping an eye on the forums for any second hand bargains to be had.

The plan going forward is to get a hold of a few more goodies, then cut things down and sell off what doesn't make the grade. But for the time being I'm very happy man.

• Like 3

67 Units is dumb.

Two scenarios;

1. Release 67 units. Very few get them and enjoy. Very many miss out, frustrated with Audeze.

2. Release 67 units. Very few get them and enjoy. Audeze release a simlar product shortly after, not limited, original 67 units now not really a collectors / special edition.

Lose / lose.

Maybe if they release 67 units, get some hype, release a new improved mass market version and offer the original 67 a trade in / trade up offer?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bengineer said:

67 Units is dumb.

Two scenarios;

1. Release 67 units. Very few get them and enjoy. Very many miss out, frustrated with Audeze.

2. Release 67 units. Very few get them and enjoy. Audeze release a simlar product shortly after, not limited, original 67 units now not really a collectors / special edition.

Lose / lose.

Maybe if they release 67 units, get some hype, release a new improved mass market version and offer the original 67 a trade in / trade up offer?

I agree, although I think a cheapened mass market version is probably the better bet - 67 people get their exclusivity jollies, the rest get most of the performance without the wood trim or what have you. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DMax said:

WOW...interesting! What's the difference between Ribbon and Planar?

Very similar, I think comes down to the structure of the magnets and how the diaphragm is anchored. Same principle, thing film, trace and magnets I think.

HEDDPhone and the RAAL use variants of the ribbon don't they?

• Like 1

The HEDDPhone uses AMT doesn't it? Accordion like - same same but different.

Ribbons are thinner and the whole layer is covered in trace material, IIUC. Planars have traces through it, but not covering the whole thing. *shrugs*.

On 20/07/2021 at 1:32 PM, Bengineer said:

67 Units is dumb.

Two scenarios;

Lose / lose.

Same model Scotty Cameron employs with his putter distribution; extremely successful. You would be amazed how people clamour for something they feel they have missed out on - and we are talking north of $5000USD for the 'limited' release ones. Old trick, create a false economy and then drip feed it. :-)

Rob

5 minutes ago, Rob McHugh said:

Same model Scotty Cameron employs with his putter distribution; extremely successful. You would be amazed how people clamour for something they feel they have missed out on - and we are talking north of $5000USD for the 'limited' release ones. Old trick, create a false economy and then drip feed it. 🙂

Rob

Do his putters get superseded in performance every few months and have a 50% failure rate? Haha.

• Haha 1

On 16/05/2019 at 7:15 PM, LuzArt said:

Just a quick blurb on the Sennheiser Momentum 2's. Fantastic for commuting, no real pressure notice on the noise cancelling, ample bottom end. Could do with a bit more air but I'm liking the EQ in Poweramp. Only just discovered this week, delving into menus because the Momentums arrived that Poweramp offers 192/24 output via the S7's DAC>phone socket. They still haven't sorted seamless playback ie for say on Dark Side, but I'm chuffed with the SQ.

I have the 2nd gen of these and highly rate them. I basically use them for walking and at the gym - when that was a thing! 🙂 I was very impressed with the SQ from the start compared to my AirPods; the only drawback being that they lose charge when not kept plugged in and I have been caught out a couple of times.

Rob

On 17/05/2019 at 7:13 AM, Benjet said:

More headphones the better although if want to keep your collection down, I would pick just one and then get something totally different. I have HD650, HD600 and Utopia. I’m hunting for a good inexpensive pair of HD800 and maybe some HE 1000 v2. That would round out my collection nicely.

I only just found this thread and so am late to the party, but looking forward to going through the whole thing while we are in lockdown here in Sydney.

Good man, great advice and I can justify all my gear! The HD600's (like Smith's crisps - the original and still almost the best) I use when watching movies as the wife is working from home. The 650's I use for older recordings and bootlegs when I don't necessarily want sparkling resolution and I find them a tad more musical than the 600's to my ears. I use the HD800's with the SD mod for classical music mainly and anything with a big soundstage - they absolutely shine with the old Mercury Living Stereo stuff. The Utopias are my  go to's and favourite - they are just great all-rounders IMHO. The LCD-3's I use when I want a little more on the bottom end like DSOTM.

See? All indispensable!  🙂

Rob

On 18/06/2019 at 8:24 PM, Benjet said:

Ok it’s a couple of weeks in and time for me to give some impression on the HD800 with the SDR mod. I’ve been fine tuning a rig to run these on a have got them pretty much sorted.

The Rig:

Amp: Bottlehead Crack (clone with few upgrades). 5998 power tube and Mazda blue print 12au7 driver tube.

DAC: PDX. This one is my latest modded one with the all the bells and whistles. Running in non-oversampling with Duelund output caps. Very nice pair of Voskhod 75’ Silver Shield tubes driving the output stage.

Headphones: HD800 with SDR mod. Black Dragon cable.

Source: Music server running Roon and steaming Tidal. JCat USB interface piping the magic through a Curious Cable.

It’s been a bit of a journey to audio Nirvana with these cans. They are so revealing that if something is just slightly off with your system, it really throw things out of whack, but get it right and the rewards are significant. I’ve found a conservative approach works well with selecting tubes. The tubes I ended up using gave the sound signature a gentle push in certain directions. No need for a heavy handed approach, the modded HD800 sound darn fine and the addition voicing done with the tubes needs to carefully considered. One wrong tube and you’ll be miles from where you want it. 

Anyhow enough about that, now how does it sound? Well to me it sounds exactly the way I wanted the HD800 to sound. The HD800 held so much promise, but I feel it was let down by it’s notorious frequency spikes. I always felt that it needed more in the bass department, but in reality it wasn’t the whole truth. Taming those fly away frequencies allows you to dial in some more volume which in turns increases the bottom end. Then just add a touch more (my 5998 power tube helped here) and there you have it, bass is sorted.

As for the mids, these headphones can sound a little analytical at times and need a touch on warmth in this area to sweeten them up a bit. The Voskhod Silver Shield tubes in the DAC provide great mids with touch of warmth whilst still having enough grip keep things from getting too wooly.

Top end. Well this is an area that was pretty sorted already and the main reason I wanted a pair of these cans. Out of the box these have an amazing top end, super wide soundstage, excellent separation. Probably the closest to “listening to speakers” sound out there. What they lack in intimacy is made up for with spatial detail. These cans are a great compliment to my Utopias. The Utopias create a amazingly detailed intimate sound scape that sounds like it’s a few metres from you, whilst the HD800 sound like everything has taken several steps back and several steps apart. Both are incredible at what they do and I’m glad to have such contrast between them. Picking which one is better is like picking out a favourite child.

I’m so glad I gave these cans another go. I’ve always though they held some treasures, I just had to do some digging. These are on the “keeper” list and along with the Utopia, cover all the bases for me. Feels like I’ve just finally finished a challenging but rewarding computer game, so roll the credits while I listen to the soundtrack, job done!!

Great review of the modded 800's Benjet! You are 100% correct in your summary of how to get the best sound. So many people chase more base when all you need to do is tame the treble and it will naturally give you bass needed. I agree with your taste entirely, as mentioned in a former post - I feel the same way about my HD800's with the SD mod and my Utopias as Charlton Heston felt about his guns! 🙂

Rob

Going through this thread has been fantastic - and I have learned a lot.

Here is my current rig and Headphones:

Marantz CD6006 (nice used as a transport but the upgrade bug is starting to bite)

Schiit Yggdrasil 

Phonitor XE Balanced

Cavalli Liquid Gold X Balanced

Heed Canalot 111 with PSU x2 SE outputs

Nordost Heaven Interconnect

Nordost Blue Heaven Power to Yggy

Bills Boutique Copper for the rest

Focal Utopia with LQI copper and silver cable

LCD - 3 with LQI copper and silver cable

HD800 with the SD mod and balanced cable

HD650  with the Sennheiser XLR cable 

HD600

Quadraspire 5 shelf in Cherry wood

PS: You will see I found some pure wool headband covers for the Utopia and LCD which has the earlier leather band. They work a treat as I have seen these leather Headbands get rather 'manky' in photos.

I have listed everything to compensate for my mediocre skills as a photographer!

Rob

IMG_1386.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

Edited by Rob McHugh
  • Like 8
  • Love 3