Which 55" 4k TV?

Hi All,

Looking to replace a 10 year old Panasonic Plasma with a "smart tv" & HN's have a pretty big sale on at the moment.

My x2 favorites are the Panasonic FX950 (OLED)  @ $1,995 or the Sony X9000F (LED) @ $1,895 but I'm not limited to them but I want to keep under $2K if possible? Out of the two I'm leaning towards the FZ950, possibly through brand loyalty to Panasonic but also I seem to find there picture more natural, not over gained.....this of course could be different in their OLED TV's? I'm only after a 55" as in the same room I have a 100" screen with a 1080P Projector.

I'm not a gamer, I mainly watch Fox HD (Sport/Movies), Netflix (both HD & 4K) & Bluray's....what's most critical is fast moving objects in sports (AFL & cricket) & smooth panning (no judder).

Cheers all

Matt

Hi Matt. I'm on the lookout too. I thought I saw an  LG B8 55 oled for 1890 at JB when I went in there last week. I'm on the hunt for a 65 Samsung q7 or even q8 as I thinky room is a little bright. Anyway,  I have a feeling that they are holding back stocks at the moment for a sudden release of 2019 models later this month. Let us know what you find. 

Possibly but I always buy 12-18 month behind as they’re half the original price.
I’ve read that the LG B8 is very good but I’ve also read about LG’s really poor quality control & customer service...I’ll stick with Sony, Panasonic & Samsung (eventhough they’re all LG panels!).

Does it HAVE to be "smart"?

Considering your last paragraph for now you are probably better off sticking with the Pana IMHO!!!

Foxtels' 4K Channel and my 4K BD's still look sensational even though they are downscaled to 1080p for my (also 10 year old) Pioneer plasma.  

Edited by JohnL

I do like the “smart” features which I know I can get by adding a Apple TV box or similar.

I’m actually using a Fetch box from Optus for Netflix at the moment...& it’s crap! I can’t actually get Netflix at the moment, not a problem with the network connection, enter my pass code & nothing??

Yep. I did a quick check and it seemed that it was a reasonable deal, plus I was sick of looking around and it has a glass panel like the much more expensive C series LG. 

Edited by christosd

6 hours ago, jeaneallenn said:

I am using the TCL Roku Smart LED TV. And it is pretty good. My brother used this mostly for his gaming. 

Sadly we don't get the US spec TCLs here in Australia - no Roku and different panel specs from what I'm led to believe.

I had to replace one tv, a 14 year old Phillips that the speakers blew on, and wanted a tv for the study. In the recent couple of Ebay sales, i managed to pick up from the official Sony Ebay store a 65" A8F OLED for $2,899 (rrp $5,999), and a 55" A8F OLED for $1,799 (rrp $3,999), both including delivery and full factory 12 month warranty.

Now, these were advertised as "box damaged". I took a punt on the first one, and given there was only a very slight mark on the box, and absolutely nothing wrong with the tv, I bought the other one. There were quite a few available. I suspect that it was a form of clearance sale. I did steer clear of the seconds though, not confident in those. Anyway, if you are willing to take some risk, keep an eye out and you might find another sale come along from their ebay store.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pete_mac said:

Sadly we don't get the US spec TCLs here in Australia - no Roku and different panel specs from what I'm led to believe.

Yep - in the US, TCL series 5 and 6 have full array local dimming (FALD) as well as Roku. Noticed that Samsung have cheapened up the build quality and lowered prices on their 2019 QLEDs. I suspect that this is in direct response to damaged inflicted on Samsung market share in the US by budget priced TCLs and Vizio FALD TVs.

1 minute ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Hi All,

I’m not exactly sure what FALD is & it’s positives (any negatives?).

Was in HN’s in Sat & I still think the FZ950 was the most impressive 55” panel under $2k.

Direct backlighting as opposed to edge lighting in LCD/LED TVs. Most high end backlit TVs also have local dimming zones which dim the screen as required to improve dark scene performance, hence tha FALD acronym. 

Its a videophyle thing - good quality edge lit LED sets with decent native contrast and local dimming algorithym will be good enough for most people.

For the purest picture quality, self emissive displays (no backlighting) such as OLED are the way to go.

Hope that helps.

Matt - for me personally, unless my viewing position was very close to the television, I would not waste my time investing big bucks for expensive OLEDs and high end LCDs at the 55" inch size.  In a 55" TV, sitting at a normal distance (2 - 3 metres) you can get quite an immersive viewing experience with a mid range set such as the Sony 900x or the Samsung Q6FN which can be purchased at discount prices due to the imminent arrival of 2019 models.

The 900F has the advantage of a full array panel with better local dimming, whereas the Samsung Q6FN will give you a nice punchy colourful picture (due to the quantum dots).  Both are available in 65" which in IMHO is a much better choice for watching movies at normal viewing distance. 

Over to you. 

Thanks pc9,

I may stretch to 65" but I do have a Sony PJ in the room with a 100" screen so for "movie nights" I'm covered. Another reason I was thinking 55" was that they would be slightly cheaper so I could spend the cash on moving up the food chain, not size etc...

I take your point though & in all reality, I will be sat 3-4 mtrs from the TV so..."would I see any difference between say a FALD & non FALD panels?

The one thing I don't like is any kind of judder so as long as the panel is smooth, especially with sport...then I'll be happy.

Cheers

Matt

I purchased the Sony 55” 900E, pretty much the same tv as the newer F series and I’m happy with it and haven’t had any issues with it. I came from a 50” Panasonic plasma and was worried about motion blur and grey blacks but it’s been good with neither being a problem..Don’t overthink it as you will never view 2 tv’s next to each other at home and I’m sure you will be happy with the Sony. My only regret is not getting the 65”...

Im actually keeping my eye out for the 65” and if it gets cheap enough I’ll probably grab one..

Edited by SCOOTER

13 hours ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Thanks pc9,

I may stretch to 65" but I do have a Sony PJ in the room with a 100" screen so for "movie nights" I'm covered. Another reason I was thinking 55" was that they would be slightly cheaper so I could spend the cash on moving up the food chain, not size etc...

I take your point though & in all reality, I will be sat 3-4 mtrs from the TV so..."would I see any difference between say a FALD & non FALD panels?

The one thing I don't like is any kind of judder so as long as the panel is smooth, especially with sport...then I'll be happy.

Cheers

Matt

Scooter is on the money with the Sony 900e although you may struggle to find one as it was a 2017 model. The 900F is basically its sucessor and can be sourced for as low as $2200 (for the 65" version) in capital cities. The FALD wont provide a huge advantage at 55" over an edge lit set at your nominated sitting position.

Sony TVs generally provide the best motion handling with Samsung a close second. 

The main reason I have not considered an OLED is not image retention/burn in (I think this has been widely over exaggerated) but the issue of black crush in dark scenes which reduces shaddow detail. I have seen this in a number of household environments and also in store demos. 

Dont get me wrong, OLED produces some brilliant images but for me, as a movie watcher, its greatest strength being insanely dark blacks, is also its biggest weakness.

If I may, I'll hijack this 55" thread!  I've posted in the "WTB" section, but thought I might duplicate it here just in case anyone has some good new purchase ideas!

Item: 55" Telly
Price Range: about $1k or so
Item Condition: New or Used
Extra Info:

Hey all.  I'm trying to delay getting a telly as 1) If i had it my way we'd not own a telly at all, and 2) I will finish building an entertainment unit later this year, so wanted to put off the inevitable 'till then.  Anyway, I lose all battles in this family, so here comes another one....

The setting and setup:

- Room is about 5x10m lounge/dining/kitchen.  It has loads of natural light, so I suspect we'll need a proper backlit unit that's good in high ambient light.

- sitting area is about 3m or so from telly (happy to hear advice regarding this and TV type and size).  Some seating is about 45deg off-angle (one couch parallel/one perpendicular to telly).

- will almost always run sound through stereo setup, so actual TV's sound not so important.  May eventually set up a surround system.  Maybe.

- I have a Chromecast thingy, and we have a PS4 (another lost battle).  We also mainly use a Panasonic DMR-XW450 DVD recorder unit, which suits our needs quite well and has gone strong for ages.

- to keep it in perspective, our current (only) TV is a Loewe Xelos CRT we bought new at an Encel sale in Richmond in the 90's.  It's perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned (although the adaptor array behind it has become rather inventive....).

- we have Netflix and free-to-air.  We don't get time for many movies, and don't intend to ever use spinny discs for movies.  My missus watches complete junk on free-to-air that makes my soul die a little at a time.

I am also open to buying new in the Easter sales if anyone spots any bargains! 

Let me know thoughts!  Mat

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-X90F-55-4K-UHD-Android-LED-TV-KD55X9000F/183753511776?epid=20019383744&hash=item2ac8901360:g:K-gAAOSwoj9bG0L9

Anyone have thoughts/experience on this Sony?  Comes in at $1516 wi5h the 20% discount code.....

one review mentions a minimal effective viewing angle.  If that’s true, then what unit would cover a wider angle well?

Edited by Mat-with-one-t