Sennheiser headphones, which ones?

I own a pair of sennheiser hd58x jubilee headphones and find them very pleasant and good for nearly all kinds of music. I'd like to upgrade to a better sennheiser but my budget cant quite stretch to the 800 series. Everything i read seems to suggest that the differences between the 58x, 600, 650, 660s and 660s2 are very minor and if you own any one of them its probably not worth buying any of the others. Would be interested in hearing opinions of users who have experienced comparisons or who own a few or am i better off saving for a good used 800 series. Im 75 and my limit of high frequency is around 10-11 khz so i often find when a reviewer says that a headphone has piecing highs i find them quite enjoyable. 

It all depends on your budget, what you are going to use the headphones for, and what you are going to drive the headphones with.

You can get a set of 600s for around $250 and drive them with your integrated amp, DAC or preamp.

However, the 800 are around $1000, and you will need a headphone amplifier to get the best out of them due to their higher impedance.

Are you listening to music, or just listening to the TV late at night (and not want to disturb your partner)?

Edited by Pegasus
add stuff

Headphone amps i have are burson, audio gd, graham slee, sabaj a20d, schiit and beyerdynamic a20 plus a couple of balanced daps which can easily drive all the headphones i have which range from 20 to 300 ohms and a few dacs so confident i can drive most things. I do headphone listening at night to music. Why i asked about upgrade to the sennheiser hd58x is because i dont want to spend money, which is in short supply, on another pair of sennheiser if there is no appreciable sound improvement, would much rather spend on another headphone which will give me a different voicing. Of all the headphones i have the sennheiser are the most comfortable and are very enjoyable but just a little dark but certainly not objectionable so if there is a reasonable improvement in sound quality i would start looking for a pair. There is a pair of 660s at the moment selling rather cheap but but everything i read says that the 58x and 660s are so close in sound as not to bother. Hence the question of someone who has tried a few. Im in rural nsw so no chance to try.

On 01/01/2024 at 6:58 AM, fjs said:

Everything i read seems to suggest that the differences between the 58x, 600, 650, 660s and 660s2 are very minor and if you own any one of them its probably not worth buying any of the others. Would be interested in hearing opinions of users who have experienced comparisons or who own a few or am i better off saving for a good used 800 series. Im 75 and my limit of high frequency is around 10-11 khz so i often find when a reviewer says that a headphone has piecing highs i find them quite enjoyable. 

If I was you, I would consider using an equaliser to adjust the sound to suit your hearing.  I which case, the headphone choice matters much less.  Comfort is, for me, the major thing I would look for, not so much the initial sound.

Edited by aussievintage

• 2 months later...

Was about to start a new thread on this subject.  I want to buy my son a set of open back headphones for his birthday next month.  He loves the Sennheiser sound, but I'm not sure what the right model is.  Needs to be relatively light and comfortable, reasonably easy to drive (he does an iFi Zen DAC v2 which we could upgrade)  but will also want to use them when he is away from home either driven of iphone 14 or with a dongle DAC.

The whole 600 range seems quite confusing to be honest, with a bunch of similar models and now we have the 490pro which I gather is intended to compete with the 600 series.  

He listens to a variety of music ranging from classic rock, through to hip hop and everywhere in between.   Can any Sennheiser experts assist!

@fjs did you end up making a decision?

Edited by POV

• 3 weeks later...

Well...I ended up gifting my HD800s (along with one of my more powerful dongle DACs) to him in a move that he was not expecting.  He is absolutely loves them, and I have now replaced the HD800s with a new open back that I am blown away by.  Very different sound to the 800s, but I've never enjoyed my headphone listening more....

On 12/3/2024 at 9:37 AM, POV said:

Was about to start a new thread on this subject.  I want to buy my son a set of open back headphones for his birthday next month.  He loves the Sennheiser sound, but I'm not sure what the right model is.  Needs to be relatively light and comfortable, reasonably easy to drive (he does an iFi Zen DAC v2 which we could upgrade)  but will also want to use them when he is away from home either driven of iphone 14 or with a dongle DAC.

The whole 600 range seems quite confusing to be honest, with a bunch of similar models and now we have the 490pro which I gather is intended to compete with the 600 series.  

He listens to a variety of music ranging from classic rock, through to hip hop and everywhere in between.   Can any Sennheiser experts assist!

@fjs did you end up making a decision?

I haven’t bought any more sennheiser but have bought a pair of open back and closed back Kennerton headphones and a pair of Ollo s5x. All the headphones I own are under $2000 and I can say with absolute certainty that no one headphone that I own is better than any of the others. They all sound different for different music so if I’m playing kpop than beyerdynamic t90 or akgk701 are a definite no no but the Kennerton vali are perfect for that music as are the sivga or Sendy headphones. They all have different comfort levels and build quality which can make them more or less useable. So I’ve become cynical of headphone reviews and reviewers. My experience has been anything over $400 is going to be good, anything over $1000 is going to be slightly better and anything over that price you buy because you have plenty of money or because the music you mostly listen to sounds more to your liking than any other headphone but there is no such thing as the best particularly when it comes to headphones. I buy multiple headphones because it is part of the experience of this hobby and it’s affordable. I’m pretty much at the end of my journey with headphones.

• Like 1