Post Pictures Of Your Headphone Setup

Ok, sounding a bit better now :)

Yes as suggested , give them a chance. They would have a different signature of course , so see if they improve with a little bit more listening time

Anyway don't talk them down too much. You want to sell them here one day ;)

Ok, now I'm starting to see why people love these headphones. I plugged them into my Marrantz 8801 with my Bluesound and 2qute as the source, and wow, the sound on these compared to the 770's is so much more solid and deep. The base is so so good on these.

I think the Marantz/Bluesound/2qute combo is better than the Mojo. I'm going to have to do some A/B'ing me thinks.

It's a possibility that they may not be mojo friendly cans.

Hmmm

post-151620-0-56980000-1455930443_thumb.

I just put the 1770's up for sale on Gumtree, just can't get into them. Way too much of a contrast to my home system.

Way way to dark of a headphone.

• 4 weeks later...

Last time I posted I was running my vintage Rotel RH 930 Back Electret Headphones with a Darkvoice 336se tube amp. It was a wonderful, smooth combo, but the problem was I just wasn't using it. I don't often have time to sit down and listen to headphones, and the Darkvoice was taking up room in my rack....so I sold the Darkvoice last year.

So I recently I picked up a cheap Matrix M-Stage here on SNA....

post-107035-0-05887400-1459163977_thumb.

Which really fits the bill, in that I can easily stow it away when I am not using it. Works great with the Rotel RH 930. The sound of course does not have that wonderful depth that the Darkvoice produced, and its a touch ragged, but its really not too bad at all for the price - clean, powerful and punchy.  

post-107035-0-31123800-1459163993_thumb.

The Matrix M-Stage has also let me play with a recent acquisition - a pair of Sony MDR SA3000s. Amazingly detailed combo - really enjoying these. The presentation is not as beautiful as the Rotels, but arguably more detailed, or at least capable of revealing things in the recording I haven't heard before, and with a wide soundstage. The Sonys are also quite sensitive, so I can use them with a portable too - they seem to work well with a Sony ZX1.

post-107035-0-16479800-1459164006_thumb.

And now for the surprising vintage phones - a pair of Realistic LV-10s - which are rebadged Koss HV-1s. Bought at a garage sale 15 years ago for a $1 (price still written in texta on one of the ears), equipped with non standard ear pads, these really sound wonderful with the Matrix M-Stage. Not as hyper detailed as the Sony's, nor able to present treble in a sweet gorgeous way like the Rotels, yet sounding very controlled, detailed and inviting....

post-107035-0-22581700-1459163955_thumb.

• Like 2

Looks excellent.

Thank you :-)

Wow I want those Rotel RH 930 so badly. they look AWESOME lol

Ha, yes they do have pretty mean styling. They don't sound bad either. 

Didn't know Rotel made headphones.

Edit: DID make headphones.

Actually they didn't make these - Rotel rebranded Toshiba / Aurex phones. But who would have guessed Toshiba made quality headphones? 

Information is scarce, but if you are interested in reading about these Toshiba  "back electret" headphones, this thread might interest: http://www.head-fi.org/t/183272/elusive-very-toshiba-back-electret-electrostatics. 

All electrets are a compromise compared to a proper electrostatic, but these back electrets were an interesting innovation that overcame some of the problems with the standard electret headphone. 

The Matrix M-Stage is an excellent headphone amp for its price. Good to see your enjoying it :thumb:

Yes, it really fits the bill. In an ideal world I would have unlimited space and could get a Darkvoice again. But till then this is more than adequate.

Bit the bullet and sold my DSLR and lenses today (sold within the hour on gumtree) and bought a pair of Audeze LCD3 Bamboo.

A hell of a lot better than my Beyerdynamic DT1770 pro's I got recently, that are now on their way back to the supplier getting looked at for an inbalance issue.

These Audeze phones are as close as I can get to the sound of my main system.

Looking forward to one day opening the LCD 3.

post-151620-0-59442100-1459856089_thumb.

What's the story behind this amplifier? Looks interesting.

It's an OTL amp from Poland. Really good sound. We've owners who says it's better than their Crack with Speedball. It's fast, great transient response and pairs perfectly with my T1. Provides just the right touch of warm and lushness. Uses 6SN7 and 6AS7 tubes or their variants. I'm using Philips EL3N tubes which provides a wide soundstage with clarity and details. Bass is impactful and controlled.

Occasionally I switched the power tubes to Tung Sol 5998 and it's just as lovely.

You can get more info here: http://www.feliksaudio.pl/

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 1