Electronic currently spinning

was given this as a birthday gift, an interesting read!

Vinyl: The Analogue Record in The Digital Age:

Dominik Bartmanski and Ian Woodward

https://www.bloomsbury.com/au/vinyl-9780857857316/

< Recent years have seen not just a revival, but a rebirth of the analogue record. More than merely a nostalgic craze, vinyl has become a cultural icon. As music consumption migrated to digital and online, this seemingly obsolete medium became the fastest-growing format in music sales. Whilst vinyl never ceased to be the favorite amongst many music lovers and DJs, from the late 1980s the recording industry regarded it as an outdated relic, consigned to dusty domestic corners and obscure record shops. So why is vinyl now experiencing a 'rebirth of its cool'?

Dominik Bartmanski and Ian Woodward explore this question by combining a cultural sociological approach with insights from material culture studies. Presenting vinyl as a multifaceted cultural object, they investigate the reasons behind its persistence within our technologically accelerated culture. Informed by media analysis, urban ethnography and the authors' interviews with musicians, DJs, sound engineers, record store owners, collectors and cutting-edge label chiefs from a range of metropolitan centres renowned for thriving music scenes including London, New York, Tokyo, Melbourne, and especially Berlin, what emerges is a story of a modern icon. >

< “Bartmanski and Woodward have written an impassioned book that will surely resonate with analogue enthusiasts and that may even inspire new vinyl diggers. For sociologists interested in the materiality of cultural objects, the status of vinyl in Berlin's electronic music scene represents a compelling example.” –  Vaughn Schmutz, University of North Carolina-Charlotte, USA, Contemporary Sociology >

The Shamen 'Axis Mutatis' 1995 One Little Indian Records, Dance Pool, Columbia.  Made in Aust. by Sony.

5aa11424ccc03_TheShamenAxisMutatis1995OneLittleIndianRecordsDancePoolColumbia.MadeinAust.bySony..thumb.jpg.a90ae9fb4b45f0e6d3e1bdc0be0c9b95.jpg

Lazyboy 'Listen' 2004 Universal Music Denmark, Universal Music Aust.

5aa1146c1757a_LazyboyListen2004UniversalMusicDenmarkUniversalMusicAust..thumb.jpg.c2138d0c244093e6a6379f13c3f01e97.jpg

...and finishing with a little Hardcore, or Happy House...

Dyewitness 'Battle for Your Mind' Circa 1996 Mid Town Records, Central Station Records, Shock Aust.

5aa114e87eebc_DyewitnessBattleforYourMindCirca1996MidTownRecordsCentralStationRecordsShockAust..thumb.jpg.20574f2782c3d2448b8c1c0099a04f7a.jpg

"What would you like to hear again?  Dyewitness.

On 3/16/2018 at 9:42 PM, ThirdDrawerDown said:

I'm glad you mention Tonepoet. I'm half way through this and it has moments of sheer beauty. I'm buying the entire catalogue - it's on sale

Yoink! I already own a couple of Tonepoet albums but bought the discography anyway for the new album, and the earlier albums that I was missing.

--Geoff

• Like 1

Pinch & Sherwood: Late night Endless

Haven't stopped listening to Adrian Sherwood since I saw him last week! What a legend, mixing old school dub and dub-step seamlessly, all live not a computer in sight. awesome gig.

This is Sherwood with legendary Bristol dub step producer Pinch. more your ambient Burial style than the the in your face Skrillex vibe.

pinchandsherwood.jpg

• Like 1

To Top