Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

59 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Ive never heard the 1.7 “break-in”. 

And that’s comparing to 30+ yr old ribbons I have.   Maybe it’s just me,   Old and Deaf!   ?

When Bill replaced the quasi-ribbon bass/midrange panels on my 1.7s I reckon it took them 20 or 30 hours to settle in and sound really good again. I don't remember them changing much after that.  

Obviously no comparison to Gary's speakers which are in an entirely different league.

25 minutes ago, Gary janezic said:

Why did they need replacement? Gary the music monster ?

Its a long story but one was damaged while being moved. Bill thought it best to replace the bass panels in both speakers.  I had them for a couple of years and was happy with them - the 1.7 are a serious bargain - but they didn't really have room to breathe in my study so i'm now back to boxes. 

Edited by buddyev

4 minutes ago, Gary janezic said:

Absolutely the best $4 grand speakers I have ever herd by a mile. Gary the music monster ?

yes, they are no doubt. I did miss the dynamics and top and bottom extension that you get with good boxes, but that was partly due to the size of my study 3.5 x 4.5 m. I just couldn't get them far enough out from the wall.   My B&Ws are a better fit for the room. 

Guest Music monster

Yes I did find they lack dynamics and bass extension and couldn’t play loud,apart from that the sound quality was excellent.i expect the 30.7s to be dynamic have bass extension and play quite loud.i use horns for pop and rock music the 30.7s will be more for classical, jazz and acoustic vocal music.cheers gary the music monster ?

Like I said minimum 600 hours for my IIIAS. 

You guys are missing the point here. They will sound marvellous on start up. They will sound even better after breaking in. 

These are reference speakers and are worth 55k. 

IMHO, anything that takes a year of critical listening to break in, is either placebo or poorly designed.
  • Like 1

With a Trumpian trade war in tow I am hoping for a radical devaluation of the $US and picking up a pair for chump change, followed by a pair of Harbeths when Brexit makes sterling the equal of the Venezuelan Bolivares.

• Volunteer
3 hours ago, allthumbs said:

With a Trumpian trade war in tow I am hoping for a radical devaluation of the $US and picking up a pair for chump change, followed by a pair of Harbeths when Brexit makes sterling the equal of the Venezuelan Bolivares.

Somewhat paradoxically, the US dollar tends to appreciate in uncertain times  even if those uncertainties come from the USA in the first place 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Somewhat paradoxically, the US dollar tends to appreciate in uncertain times  even if those uncertainties come from the USA in the first place 

True, but the US$ as the automatic go to fiat currency in this day and age and particularly under the current President isn't so automatic, not to mention the US$1 point something trillion of US Debt held by the China.

• Volunteer
3 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

True, but the US$ as the automatic go to fiat currency in this day and age and particularly under the current President isn't so automatic, not to mention the US$1 point something trillion of US Debt held by the China.

Don’t underestimate the “automatic” nature of currency traders ?

Guest Music monster

It depends how often it’s used. I ran in my magnapans 1.7i in two weeks playing music on them 24 hours everyday. Gary The music monster ?

Guest Music monster

I say spend and enjoy you cart take anything with you when you die. Gary the music monster ?

On 14/05/2019 at 7:47 AM, barn door said:

IMHO, anything that takes a year of critical listening to break in, is either placebo or poorly designed.

And you are???  (IOW, what qualifications do you bring that mean I should believe your opinion is better than any other "dog on the internet"?)

IME - not IMO - some things take many hundreds of hours to break in - by which I mean "sound their best".

Andy

Guest Music monster

I believe speakers continue to sound better years after being run in.the older the drivers in a speaker the better they sound as long as they are in perfect working order.gary the music monster ?

On 14/05/2019 at 4:47 AM, barn door said:

IME 300 hours is a very good starting point before speakers really begin to open up and reveal their capabilities, particularly those which have large and complex crossovers, multiple drivers, and require plenty of power.

Guest Music monster

What’s a good listening distance for magnapan speakers? Owners of Maggie’s please let me know the distance from your listening position to your speakers.would 2.4 meters be to close? Gary the music monster ?

6 minutes ago, Gary janezic said:

What’s a good listening distance for magnapan speakers? Owners of Maggie’s please let me know the distance from your listening position to your speakers.would 2.4 meters be to close? Gary the music monster ?

#ratio

Edited by furtherpale