Solo: A Star Wars Story

50 minutes ago, Sime said:

Do you honestly think my constant anger at these new films is based around the opinion of someone who wasn’t a fan?

I'm not sure mate, that is why I was asking. :blink:

I assume you've seen Solo, or are we just knocking it for the sake of it or because you didn't like the last?

SW has always been a cash cow... now is no different.

JSmith :ninja:

Guest Sime

To date, apart from being slightly annoyed that Woody was in it and I made a comment about Ron Howard, I havnt actually knocked this film yet. Why, I havnt seen it. But if it’s failing at the box office…………………

52 minutes ago, Sime said:

You see now this is the problem, you’ll accept anything with a Star Wars logo on it going by this statement. 

Episode 4 in the era it was made was magnificent, there’s no reason why the sequels in today’s time can’t be as magnificent. 

No reason. They only exist to make money, and Disney is now seeing the error in their ways. They should have taken the time and made good movies that will make them money in the long term, not just a few months when released, both in the theaters and DVD…………

Movie making has changed quite some margin since then though. Most huge technical advances have been done and hard to WOW fans these days with special effects like the originals did. If you look at the original theatrical releases of IV-VI now, you can see all sorts of effect artefacts that wouldn't pass these days.

Most movies these days is more about selling merchandise and candy bar sales for the multiplex rather than an artform.

These days real quality movies are rare, and usually fail dismally because movie multiplex's are for teens and 20 somethings. Blade Runner 2049 anyone? Great movie but hug flop as it doesn't target the right audience demographic. If you want really good viewing, it's TV series these days, GoT, Breaking Bad, Sopranos etc etc etc. I'm lucky to get to the cinema once or tiwce a year now as have a young family. In my 20's I even worked at a cinema and saw 3/4 movies a week, as well as having a modest home theatre set up at home.

• Like 1

Guest Sime

The biggest problem with the new Star Wars movies is as simple as this. 

Characters. 

Why do we love the original series?

Han. Princess Leia. Luke. C3PO and R2D2. Dearth Vadar. Obi Wan Kanobi (sp) etc. 

These characters were so well written and casted that they could have done anything with them (to a point)

It was all about a good story and matching characters in said story. It’s as old as humanity. 

And i agree, today’s movies are about everything else except a good story, in most cases. 

20 minutes ago, Sime said:

I haven't actually knocked this film yet.

3 hours ago, Sime said:

the rest of the population couldn’t give a shyte. 

This is what made me think you were dissing it.

18 minutes ago, blybo said:

Most movies these days is more about selling merchandise and candy bar sales for the multiplex rather than an artform.

Image result for original han solo action figure

...selling merch has been popular for some time Blybo.

Edited by JSmith
some

Guest Sime
3 hours ago, JSmith said:

This is what made me think you were dissing it.

Because it’s failing at the box office suggests that the rest don’t give a……………;)

71ay4Gt%2BQKL._SL1500_.jpg&key=7f6dd25da30c7b24ff51dc86f71ee37e96ed14fe4d30060a6d8028b93ef6a281

...selling merch has been popular for some time Blybo.

But taken to a whole new level these days. When Force Awakens was made we had a whole corner of a Target store set aside for everything Star Wars, several months before it was released. We never got the cross promotional deals in the past either.

7 hours ago, Sime said:

The biggest problem with the new Star Wars movies is as simple as this. 

Characters. 

Why do we love the original series?

Han. Princess Leia. Luke. C3PO and R2D2. Dearth Vadar. Obi Wan Kanobi (sp) etc. 

These characters were so well written and casted that they could have done anything with them (to a point)

It was all about a good story and matching characters in said story. It’s as old as humanity. 

And i agree, today’s movies are about everything else except a good story, in most cases. 

Don’t forget Chewbacca.  I wannna see them do a story on Chewies life!   

10 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Don’t forget Chewbacca.  I wannna see them do a story on Chewies life!   

As a kid I remember watching a Christmas special and it was about where Chewie came from, was full of Chewies living up in tree houses, off memory.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, Sime said:

new Star Wars movies

This is one of the Star Wars stories though, not a direct part of the main Star Wars films.

The originals are OLD... maybe not to us, but they are.

There is no point trying to please older fans whilst turning away or alienating potential new fans to the franchise.

I think what they have been doing has been a reasonable way to try to please older fans to an extent, while also appealing to new audiences and new demographics.

I try to be positive about the newer films and sub-story films to see the best points of what is trying to be done. Cash cow aside (hey it always has been), I'm generally happy how they are exploring the potential the franchise offers. Of course everyone will think it should be different... but they aren't the director or writers are they? It's funny... have seen people who used to go on about how bad Lucas was, now saying bring him back in.

JSmith :ninja:

• Like 1

I thought it was pretty good. Was annoyed Woody Harrelson was in it, but ended up thinking he actually fitted in quite well. 

No Star Wars music at the start. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Saw it last night

As a movie its not to bad at all 

As a star wars movie is not too bad, better than TFA and TLJ. Maybe not as good as Rogue one. 

Acting was mostly okay - but still has annoying pointless characters L3 for instance and the 4 armed dude. 

Odd ending that introduced a other  character that seemed to imply a follow on . Which now seems doubtful. 

Was good entertainment, nice to see known star wars dudes in tbeir early days. 

• Like 4

On 04/06/2018 at 10:16 AM, :) al said:

We rarely go to the movies, once twice a year if lucky so box office irrelevant...

tomato meter is usually pretty spot on...

though am sure there are peoples own preferences. so if they feel its a turkey then it is a turkey. however good chance be others that appreciate it for what ever it is.

I've tended to watch a lot of movies not really hollywood block busters. many of which do have good tomato meter ratings which just goes to show...

as a note with the tomato meter, sometimes will find audiences review rating wont necessarily correlate with the professional reviewers...again goes to show sometimes plenty of people still like a movie even if officially doest review well...

I'm somewhat of an iconoclast but that aside I long ago realised that when it came to critics, movie and music, I rarely if ever agreed. To the point that if critics didn't like it I assumed I would and vice versa. What this says about my taste, other than it is my taste, I'm not sure. Perhaps I make a point of being argumentative. ?

On 04/06/2018 at 10:54 AM, JSmith said:

In this case though the reviewer score is higher than the audience score.

Star Wars audiences (and Star Trek) are a pain in the arse. Some are slavish fan boys and others are over critical, impossible to please, princesses. This is Star Wars, not Shakespeare.

FWIW I thought this one was good without being great but I'm still happy for them to continue making them.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I saw Solo recently and really enjoyed it, reckon 70% is about right as a score for the flick.

Some cool expansions of the star wars universe and the deaths of those two characters was aimed at the heart strings but they were only just barely developed enough for me to care.

That L3 characters death was poorly created/acted, lol. Could we one day see a galaxy wide droid rebellion?

Lando is an interspecies womaniser, hilarious.