Dartzeel NHB-108 update (Model 2?)

Dartzeel is updating its much vaunted power amplifier. 

Don't know too much about it yet, but power is up from 100w to 150w. Pricing is around $45K. I have pre-ordered and look forward to reporting in more detail soon. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 04/05/2018 at 8:29 PM, alistairm said:

Dartzeel is updating its much vaunted power amplifier. 

Don't know too much about it yet, but power is up from 100w to 150w. Pricing is around $45K. I have pre-ordered and look forward to reporting in more detail soon. 

Have you had experience with past Dartzeel amps? What are the characteristics if you have pls?

On 05/05/2018 at 11:28 PM, PoisonM said:

Have you had experience with past Dartzeel amps? What are the characteristics if you have pls?

I have the current model NHB-108 power amp and have had both generations of the NHB-18NS preamp, currently onto the gen 2. 

The preamp is a masterpiece and is, I think, probably my all-time favourite bit of audio gear. 

Overall, I think the "house sound" is very neutral presentation and power delivery that is effortless but without sounding either too dry or "lightsaber", see through transparency to the source material and dynamic capability at both micro and macro level at all listening volumes.

The current generation NHB-108 power amp doesn't quite have the attack on the front of the strings that my Tom Evans Model Bs did... but I suppose it is hard for a solid state amp to mimic the sound of EL84s in overdrive the way a pair of monoblock EL84 power amps can! 

For me, the Dartzeels are perfect. The ease of solid state, utterly transparent, powerful and fast without being dry and with oodles of sonic texture and flavour without ever feeling treacly or saccharine. 

Added to that, they are quirky and the workmanship has to be seen to be appreciated - it is on par with anything I have ever seen in electronics... more like the quality of a fine Swiss watch. 

There are many lovely amplifiers out there, but Dartzeel does seem to hold a unique spot in the market... provided you like the colour Herve has chosen! 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, alistairm said:

There are many lovely amplifiers out there, but Dartzeel does seem to hold a unique spot in the market... provided you like the colour Herve has chosen! 

Agree Al great products--I have seen a Black 108 at a Show?

Willco

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alistairm said:

I have the current model NHB-108 power amp and have had both generations of the NHB-18NS preamp, currently onto the gen 2. 

The preamp is a masterpiece and is, I think, probably my all-time favourite bit of audio gear. 

Overall, I think the "house sound" is very neutral presentation and power delivery that is effortless but without sounding either too dry or "lightsaber", see through transparency to the source material and dynamic capability at both micro and macro level at all listening volumes.

The current generation NHB-108 power amp doesn't quite have the attack on the front of the strings that my Tom Evans Model Bs did... but I suppose it is hard for a solid state amp to mimic the sound of EL84s in overdrive the way a pair of monoblock EL84 power amps can! 

For me, the Dartzeels are perfect. The ease of solid state, utterly transparent, powerful and fast without being dry and with oodles of sonic texture and flavour without ever feeling treacly or saccharine. 

Added to that, they are quirky and the workmanship has to be seen to be appreciated - it is on par with anything I have ever seen in electronics... more like the quality of a fine Swiss watch. 

Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated. ?

By no means a common brand so limited opportunity to listen. Don't quite mind the colour though I can understand why some might find it off putting lol.

Edited by PoisonM

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

You had me at pleasure control......what a ingenious name for volume!

852796792_download(3).jpeg.74db85bda726ea1277584fd573d211b0.jpeg

I think these were made for the church mate. Gold and red with a set of red eyes peering back at you. ?

The build quality is amazing, saw them in a shop in Portugal, sadly didn’t get to listen to them.

0956C729-08C9-410C-B958-2BEE750C5339.thumb.jpeg.527403c4fe7f616c92a27994afe93c01.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Their Model One is now 12-13 years old. Is that model still top-notch compared to the high-end brands of today? 

I'm considering to buy a model One as they come available now for decent prices but I'm still wandering if I'm chasing old ghosts...

Currently looking at the new cubed Bryston 14B3, AVM SA8.2, and Audionet monoblocks to drive the new Magico A3's.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/05/2018 at 10:25 AM, alistairm said:

Hi Alistair - definitely some very temptingly desirable kit!

So if I understand you correctly, the NHB-108 Model 2 power amp that now appears listed on their web site is the new/latest one you spoke of at the start of this thread, is that right? Or is there a Model 3 on the way?  The listing on the Aussie distributor site refers to a 'Model B'. I'm confused! Any clarification appreciated.

Edited by Tony Cox

On 08/05/2018 at 7:08 AM, Tubularbells said:

You had me at pleasure control......what a ingenious name for volume!

A play on words but that's also because it's not a volume control per se, it's a control that controls only the intensity of the LED lights, that shine on the LDR's (light dependent resistors) they are the "volume control", aka just like the Lightspeed Attenuator. (circled in green in the pic)

They had applied for  provisional patent on it, but it never got granted because it was done some 20 years after it was first invented in Manly/Brookvale Australia.?

Cheers George 

NHB-18S

nhb-18-ns-back-top-opened-1240x1000.jpg

Edited by georgehifi

On 24/08/2018 at 7:41 AM, georgehifi said:

They had applied for  provisional patent on it, but it never got granted because it was done some 20 years before it was released in Manly Australia.?

You mean after?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

I can't see how it does anything other than control the volume, attenuation if the incoming signal.

Beside having active phono stage and multiple inputs and outputs in xlr and rca, the source switching from what I understand is also not done by normal switching but with led/ldr's as well, so there are still no contacts in the signal path.

I think it's passive also, but has an output buffer as well "if needed for low input impedance amps", similar B1 buffer to what Nelson Pass did DIY for the Lightspeed Attenuator to drive his lower input impedance amps that some owned.   

Lightspeed Attenuator + B1 Buffer.jpg

Contactless Lightspeed Input Switcher.gif

Edited by georgehifi

Guest Muon N'

That's another control, is it not?

Or does the 'Pleasure Control' handle both attenuation and source switching?

Edited by Muon N'

9 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Or does the 'Pleasure Control' handle both attenuation and source switching?

Source switching on the left, Pleasure (volume) control on the right.

Cheers George

nhb-18-ns-front-1240x1000.jpg

nhb-18-ns-front-top-opened-1240x1000.jpg

Edited by georgehifi

13 hours ago, Rob181 said:

Or significantly less...

If you are willing to adopt a "hand me down"...

As I have done...

Never seen one used yet for sale, hand me down would be the only way. Good score!

Just adhere to what I say about input impedance of the power amp 1:10 ratio with this to get it's best sound.

Power amp to be more than >33kohm, which most are, except to some Class-D's one or two Pass Aleph's and ME's. ME's luckily can be easily made from 1kohm to 68kohms with socket'ed resistor removal by a tech with the know how.

Stereophile: darTZeel NHB-18NS preamplifier Measurements

"The output impedance was a high 2500 ohms at low and midrange frequencies, rising to 3080 ohms at 20kHz.

As for the "pleasure control" here was a little snippet from the 6 Moons interview with Herve Deletraz the designer on it and the patent attempt that was blocked in my first post.

"Q: What is wrong with conventional volume controls?
A: You lose something. I use a system that varies resistance with light. However, until all the patents are in place, I would prefer not to specify the details."

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

It’s all in the marketing,

Anyone would have emptied there pockets regardless of price  for a device with an “enjoyment source”  and a “ pleasure control “ knob!   Where you can dial up whatever the desired pleasure floats your boat! 

certainly sounds you’re gonna get a lot more out of a device than something with the logo “lightspeed Attenuator “    ?

Can see why @Rob181.  Wants one used! 

Edited by Addicted to music