Panasonic UB9000 Flag ship uhd player with XLR output

3 hours ago, petetherock said:

Can anyone tell me where I can find a 9000 and maybe the 820 in central Melbourne? Cheers

have to check the hifi stores, I believe the 9000 is not going to be sold at the box movers.... the box movers likely have the 820 though...

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

have to check the hifi stores, I believe the 9000 is not going to be sold at the box movers.... the box movers likely have the 820 though...

Yeah, it's not so easy to find one.. somehow 

Anyway, I'm trying to see if I want to spring for the more expensive one or get a couple of the cheaper ones and use a CD player for music.

Did you manage to make yours region free? 

5 hours ago, petetherock said:

Yeah, it's not so easy to find one.. somehow 

Anyway, I'm trying to see if I want to spring for the more expensive one or get a couple of the cheaper ones and use a CD player for music.

Did you manage to make yours region free? 

am not doing the 3rd party firmware hack for it to be region free no. 

looks like a panasonic firmware update is available. first one for this player ? v1.51 :)

just playability I understand....

are the oppos still getting playability updates ? not seen one for a long while .....

• Volunteer

12 hours ago, wooferocau said:

@Kazz

How do you find the UB9000 versus the Oppo 203 ? 

Thanks..:)

I had a play with both the Oppo and the Pana and for my PJ I find the tone mapping , especially with the slider, to be a much better picture than using GammaD with either player.  Using HDR with GammaD has always been too dark no matter what settings I tried.

I've just sold the Oppo and the Pana will be staying.

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

Yeah I'm not willing to try a FW mod either, I'll just use my Oppo 103D for locked discs.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, joz said:

If someone was to summarise, what are the strengths and weaknesses of both the Oppo and Pana for a 4k system today?

oppo

strength : oppo is a better player in usability with display on-screen and on player, better remote 

weakness: ongoing support with updates, tone mapping doesnt work for projectors or other displays

pana ub9000

strength: tone mapping is best in business and looks to be optimised with the jvc projectors having been done in conjunction, plus with tone mapping for LCD/OLED aswell. , ongoing support, very well built player

weakness: usability, not as good a remote(not that it is that bad) and display is minimal eg cant get remaining time, only shows elapsed time (both failings are not end of world). not much else its a great player

other non 4k : 

Oppo strength true universal sacd dvda, region free hardware for blu-ray/dvd. top end 2ch player and with onboard dac and hdmi switcher. weakness ongoing support for disc playability eg blu-ray ? 

pana : weakness no region free hardware...only 3rd party software hack. not a true universal cant play sacd/dvda. XLR analog quality benefit is questionable - not upto oppo ? strength will continue to receive ongoing support for disc playability 

• Like 3

You forgot the one which in my mind is so important to me, in days of high bright displays and 100% white subtitles. 

Oppo has subtitle shift

Panasonic has subtitle shift and subtitle luminance control

I just wished the panasonic remembered the settings, like the oppo does.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

You forgot the one which in my mind is so important to me, in days of high bright displays and 100% white subtitles. 

Oppo has subtitle shift

I just wished the panasonic remembered the settings, like the oppo does.

definitely add anything else can think off, I havent actually used the subtitle shifting to be honest :) didnt even realise could chance the luminance.... yep that would be helpful wiht the kapow brightness we have with displays these days, definitely will hold back any annoying blooming but pity can't set and forget like the oppo can :)

• Like 1

I have a separate 2-ch system from my HT system and from what I’ve read here & elsewhere, great PQ from the Pana.

The main question from me, what is the audio quality of the Pana 7.1 analogue outs compared to the 205?

I expect the 205 to be better but has an A-B comparison been done by anyone as yet?

(I.e. using the 7.1 inputs input of my Cary Cinema C12 i.e. with Pana HDMI video out directly to my projector/TV).

• Volunteer
3 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Hmm, thanks Mobe I didn't know about the subtitle luminance control, I'll have to look at that.  :whistle:

12 hours ago, betty boop said:

Region free dvd doesn’t require a firmware hack, only a universal remote control. It’s only region free blu ray that requires custom firmware. 

7 minutes ago, kitschcamp said:

Region free dvd doesn’t require a firmware hack, only a universal remote control. It’s only region free blu ray that requires custom firmware. 

I have heard you have to buy a 3rd party device(remote) to wave it so it is blessed for region free dvd. but it is region free blu-ray that  am talking about that requires third party software hack... and which also provides region free dvd.

if you have a way of converting it region free dvd with a universal remote control than do please share I am sure be a few keen to learn :)

18 hours ago, Kazz said:

Hmm, thanks Mobe I didn't know about the subtitle luminance control, I'll have to look at that.  :whistle:

Yes, it is great. I now trigger it as soon as I start playing a film in case the forced subs are player generated, so they are low luminance. I really wish it saved settings like the oppo though.

• Like 1

post below from i-sibi on avs comparing he pio lx500 and the pana ub9000, looks like the pana's tone mapping is a key differentiator between the players in PQ stakes :)

"I'm comparing the two UHD players that I think are the best of the crop: The UB9000 and the Pio LX500...

I'm posting pixas and settings (you will find the screens of the actual settings I used for the test attached...)

I got 5 UHD players and on my OLED (or any quality TV) is very difficult to see any PQ differences between them... so I'm testing on 4k HDR PJ...

The movie here is "Widows" from FOX, that presents an impressive PQ, pristine and with no artifacts or disturbing grain...

The HDR Optimizer was ON and the Dynamic Range Adjustment set on purpose to +10 to make the image looks brighter...

Both the Panasonic and the Pioneer works great with PJs, but the overall image of the U9000 looks brighter with "specular highlights" more pronounced... The LX500 reproduction, on the other side, was more cinematic...

You can find my pictures of "Hunter Killer" on the Pio thread...

Both players reproduce a great picture on my screen, with every fine details and accurate colors... simply, the UB9000 presentations "pops" more... but the LX500 presentation is more like what you will experience at cinema...

I have to say that HDR on PJ will never be like a 2000 nits "nuclear bomb"... and that is a pro on my point of view, not a con... cinema is an art not a videogame...

The image from the LX500 is bright... the one from the UB9000 brighter... both are superb!"

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for more information on DSD file playback on the UB900.

While it does not do SACDs, I understand it can play DSD, stereo and 5.1.  Can it access DSD files on a NAS? Is playback via HDMI only or can it do others like optical out (PCM stereo only)?  

Hi all,
Just bought the pana UB9000 great picture and sound but I am having all sorts of issues with it doing this pixilation thing. Thought it was 4K disc I just got ( Bohemian Rhapsody) took the disc back a got another sealed one but exactly the issue in the same chapters??
Anyone else having issues?

11 minutes ago, poppybob said:

Hi all,
Just bought the pana UB9000 great picture and sound but I am having all sorts of issues with it doing this pixilation thing. Thought it was 4K disc I just got ( Bohemian Rhapsody) took the disc back a got another sealed one but exactly the issue in the same chapters??
Anyone else having issues?

what pixelation thing ? 

5 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

While it does not do SACDs, I understand it can play DSD, stereo and 5.1.  Can it access DSD files on a NAS? Is playback via HDMI only or can it do others like optical out (PCM stereo only)?  

Yes snoopy its a dnla client for a NAS ; does even double rate dsd ; have my doubts on sp/dif playback unless the dacs in it are of the dsd variety ? typical Panasonic they don't say in the specs sabre burr brown or anything too help check out the specific chipset..  ; I always bitstreamed my multichannel dsd files to my pre pro  where its dacs converted the dsd to lpcm and don't have many 2ch hybrids.

High Quality Network Audio Playback (DLNA) yes*10 (FLAC/ WAV/ ALAC/ AIFF/ DSD/ WMA/ AAC/ MP3)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cwt said:

Yes snoopy its a dnla client for a NAS ; does even double rate dsd ; have my doubts on sp/dif playback unless the dacs in it are of the dsd variety ? typical Panasonic they don't say in the specs sabre burr brown or anything too help check out the specific chipset..  ; I always bitstreamed my multichannel dsd files to my pre pro  where its dacs converted the dsd to lpcm and don't have many 2ch hybrids.

High Quality Network Audio Playback (DLNA) yes*10 (FLAC/ WAV/ ALAC/ AIFF/ DSD/ WMA/ AAC/ MP3)

Thank you.  I missed the DLNA bit in the specs.  You have confirmed that UB9000 is indeed one way forward because I have quite a lot of SACDs,  all of them ripped into 2.0 and 5.1 files.  

I did a search and it uses the AK4493 which should in theory, can output to an optical output 2.0 pcm stream.  Whether Panasonic has implemented this is another question. @cwt, would it be possible for you to test this?

4 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Thank you.  I missed the DLNA bit in the specs.  You have confirmed that UB9000 is indeed one way forward because I have quite a lot of SACDs,  all of them ripped into 2.0 and 5.1 files.  

I did a search and it uses the AK4493 which should in theory, can output to an optical output 2.0 pcm stream.  Whether Panasonic has implemented this is another question. @cwt, would it be possible for you to test this?

I cant test dsd specifically snoopy but what I always do for dsd files is use db poweramp to convert to dop using a flac [lossless] container - works for dsd dacs and their equivalent lpcm versions :) It is nice to change error accuracy you want too..

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-dsd-dff-dsf-sacd.htm

Sorry; my pana ub900 is indisposed with my network atm [ and it isn't a 9000 with the AK4493]  but my tvix media player has no problem with my dsd dop files . Hopefully a 9000 owner has a few sacd files to test .

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1