Donations & Classifieds

Marc

Classifieds Poll  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I always assumed that the classifieds generate a significant amount of traffic for the site. As SNA is a business, isn't this free publicity?

I have no data to support this but I would have thought that the free traffic was worth the added server costs?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ugly said:

I always assumed that the classifieds generate a significant amount of traffic for the site. As SNA is a business, isn't this free publicity?

I completely agree with this.

17 hours ago, Hensa said:

Agree absolutely with @blybo that there are a number of 'quasi-business' operators using the site but not having sponsor fees.

But, isnt that something that draws people to the site and benefits others? There seems to be a perception that selling something only benefits the seller, when actually, it equally benefits the buyer.

If, due to compulsory fees, it means that some sellers no longer sell here, it would be far more of a disadvantage to SNA buyers / members.

I think the reason the Classifieds section is so popular is that people are perusing the ads looking for something to buy. The more things available the better. Without sellers there would be no buyers, and without buyers there would be no sellers. One does not exist without the other.

So in a situation where both people equally benefit, its funny that only the seller is considered responsible to pay.

When buying land, or cars, it is the buyer who pays land tax and transfer duty respectively, not the seller. So there! ha ha.

• Like 4

I am relatively new to this forum and find it awesome - well done @Marc .  Getting the dynamics of communities working is quite and art, and you seem to have the gift!

The other idea is closer to traditional 'freemium' models - you get x listing free per year and pay if you go above that number (whether a formal arrangement or firmer request for donation).  But it need to be simple and not drive admin costs / time more than the cash it generates.

Edited by gibbo9000

• Volunteer
33 minutes ago, eltech said:

I completely agree with this.

But, isnt that something that draws people to the site and benefits others? There seems to be a perception that selling something only benefits the seller, when actually, it equally benefits the buyer.

If, due to compulsory fees, it means that some sellers no longer sell here, it would be far more of a disadvantage to SNA buyers / members.

I think the reason the Classifieds section is so popular is that people are perusing the ads looking for something to buy. The more things available the better. Without sellers there would be no buyers, and without buyers there would be no sellers. One does not exist without the other.

So in a situation where both people equally benefit, its funny that only the seller is considered responsible to pay.

When buying land, or cars, it is the buyer who pays land tax and transfer duty respectively, not the seller. So there! ha ha.

One of the reasons I much prefer to buy and sell on SNA as opposed to eBay or Gumtree, is that I feel that I know who I'm dealing with. 

I'm very unlikely to transact with someone who only has a few posts. Mainly because I'd rather keep items within our community (but also because I'm a bit more wary). 

So for me, adding a fee to the classifieds doesn't really help - I'm still unlikely to deal with people who are only here to buy or sell. 

From Marc's point of view I guess it's a balance between maintaining the community/brand that makes SNA so successful with the commercial reality that  the majority of users probably don't pay for what they get. 

I can't speak for Marc but to me the balance seems pretty good right now 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

that  the majority of users probably don't pay for what they get. 

Funny!

If someone provides sound, accurate free technical advice to another SNA member, how would that be valued in terms of dollars?

And yet, many people here in their own time, provide that advice gratis.

If nobody participated and assisted others, there would be no forum whatsoever.

How would it be if someone posted a question and someone replies  - "i know the answer but send me your credit card details and we can start talking"

I recon many people give back much more than they take.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

One of the reasons I much prefer to buy and sell on SNA as opposed to eBay or Gumtree, is that I feel that I know who I'm dealing with. 

I'm very unlikely to transact with someone who only has a few posts. Mainly because I'd rather keep items within our community (but also because I'm a bit more wary). 

So for me, adding a fee to the classifieds doesn't really help - I'm still unlikely to deal with people who are only here to buy or sell. 

I can't speak for Marc but to me the balance seems pretty good right now 

Exactly and well put.

Regardless of what may be listed I won't transact with an unknown new member unless they are personally endorsed by  trusted and known member/s here. As has been said , this is not Gumtree and thank your deity of choice for that.

I also agree that the balance here is good right now and my only misgiving is that I feel members should be part of the community for a while before being able to list item/s for sale ( perhaps 25 posts unrelated to selling or buying )

• Volunteer
32 minutes ago, eltech said:

Funny!

If someone provides sound, accurate free technical advice to another SNA member, how would that be valued in terms of dollars?

And yet, many people here in their own time, provide that advice gratis.

If nobody participated and assisted others, there would be no forum whatsoever.

How would it be if someone posted a question and someone replies  - "i know the answer but send me your credit card details and we can start talking"

I recon many people give back much more than they take.

Good point !

I've learnt so much from people who've given their time and knowledge and asked nothing in return. 

Just one of the things that makes this community what it is. 

• Like 2

On 13/12/2017 at 11:11 AM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

It wouldn't bother me if their was a fee to list policy implemented, I pay fees on eBay anyway and I'm sure SNA wouldn't be as money grabbing as feeBay

Maybe there should be somewhere in the classified listing where a seller could link feedback they have from another source or site to add peace of mind for buyers or to simply be used as a reference

Edited by aasza

A tip to budding buyers could be provided as a sticky:

"The classifieds are free and prices often reflect SNA members' views that they are sharing their surplus gear with like-minded members of the SNA community. A consequence is that some sellers do resell gear for profit, rather than simply because they've tried and did not like. You can use the Search by Text function to discover if the item you are looking at is a re-sale at a higher price. Many members are happy to receive a PM about the price they originally sold at. Search the Classifieds by Name to find who sells frequently on the Classifieds." These actions may help you make a more informed buying decision."

• Administrator

As much as there are some great and fair suggestions in this thread, the poll has remained at "no changes" and I'm all for going with the majority.

At the moment, we'll leave it as is but I am thankful to those that continue to support StereoNET and have taken the time to contribute their thoughts.

• Like 3

All comes down to $$

If the business is running at a loss and needs to generate extra income then it needs to come from somewhere - then is the time to work out the best way to implement it
If it is already profitable then probably not a wise move, plenty of businesses have fallen in a heap through greed
I've not bought or sold anything but I froth at the mouth quite often looking through the classifieds and hope to make a purchase when funds permit. Or when I impulse buy, then have a sinking feeling in the stomach afterwards wondering how I will pay for it!
So glad I found this site, a newly rekindled hobby for me.
A financial adviser will tell you if you need more coin! (whilst lining their pockets with your coin)

Guest Auribus

I think a percentage of every sale should be mandatory. I think the equivalent amount that eBay charges is more than fair.

Clearly there are benefits for selling audio related equipment on SNA over other types of online sites or print classifieds, simply because of the demographic involved. I have no idea whether a mandatory selling fee would generate sufficient revenue. If further income is required, then I would suggest an annual subscription fee to the site that allows members certain benefits over those just visiting and buying. Some of those benefits might include greater access to content, a certain amount of free classified listings, discount vouchers, newsletters, annual prize draw, etc.

Just a suggestion.

I have run forums for clients, I have run forums with classifieds, and run forums where the client tried to implement a pay per listing for classifieds.

Don't do it. This is not Audgiogon, where the purpose of the site is selling things. You will decimate the amount of people who use the classifieds. The amount of money you will get from listing fees will fall low with the reduced amount of listings, then the classifieds will become a ghost town. I have seen it happen.

Maybe you can have a yearly subscription fee for 'Power Sellers' or something, where only these sellers will show the trust and feedback ratings.

• Like 4

There is a small thing you are all missing.

I have enjoyed this site for years and would like to subscribe/support for a fee.
And I dont want to sell anything at present.
What do I get?

How about recognition that I am a good bloke.
$100 platinum supporter
$50 gold supporter.
A symbol next to my user name.
Free listings for gold and platinum members.

Free listings for others but feedback if they have paid hensas recommended free which is cheap.
Feed back if they haven't.

This establishes 2 voluntary revenue streams to keep the site we all enjoy running.

I am happy to become the first ( inaugural)
platinum supporter if the system is adopted.

Shovel....

• 3 weeks later...

There are many members here that donate quite a bit of cash, and most that donate none.   Over the past couple of years I’ve donated over 2K to SNA.   I suppose only Mark would know if it’s viable to keep the site going as is or make it compulsory to either pay for ads or a small yearly membership fee. 

My my vote would be for a small membership fee, say $5 - $10     Everyone should be able to afford such a modest fee. ( a couple of cups of coffee really ). SNA is a wonderful group and a great asset for those of us that live and breath hifi.  Or in my case lofi 

On 12/13/2017 at 6:32 PM, Marc said:

As much as there are some great and fair suggestions in this thread, the poll has remained at "no changes" and I'm all for going with the majority.

At the moment, we'll leave it as is but I am thankful to those that continue to support StereoNET and have taken the time to contribute their thoughts.

@Bill125812

I agree with everything you have posted mate, but the issue seems to be settled for now as per the quote.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you could have a 'Gold Members' feature, allowing extras such as being able to bump their ad, it being highlighted, allowing more pictures e.t.c (like what ebay used to be!)

But this goes far beyond the stock IPB forum classifieds modules, it would require custom development and headaches on the part of Stereonet.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Two ideas to help with the donations:

First, have guidelines on how much is a reasonable (minimum) donation for a sale. eg. free if total sales from the advert is under $25.00, between $26 and $200, xx% of the sale cost, between $201 and $1500 xx% of the sale price, and above $1501 xx percent. 

Secondly, have the donation appear in the (sold) classification listing.  The sellers who donate will be recognised for their community spirit, and those who don't will also be visible.  And making a donation will be seen as part of the classifieds culture of the site.  .