Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Im not sure who confirmed the sets are from China from now on, but either way whats the big deal really.

Last years generation had a similar issue in that a heap were Chinese made but ive not heard any bad comments from anyone with any of those Chinese made screens.

Apparently even the chinese made sets are all Japanese manufactured but assembled in China.

Im not sure of the intricacies and im after the 70A panel also and am aware that supposedly the next lot of 70A's will be chinese but thats not going to make me fork out a couple hundred extra just to get JAPAN written on the back of it.

I'm trying to get a 70A Japanese made set, I think I may have found one and the price is around the $2,800 mark. The group buy 70A models will most likely be the new Chinese made ones. I don't like the look of the 700A so that is out for now.

This price seems OK to me (I've also seen the group buy price). But not sure if it is worth it for a Japan set.

Thoughts?

I got my 70A this week for $2427 from David Jones Robina (Qld.). I paid the extra (over the 7A) because I already have electrical items that were made in China and they only last a few weeks. I've had my coffee maker replaced five times in ten months! How long before all these manufacturers begin to regret their move offshore?

I got my 70A this week for $2427 from David Jones Robina (Qld.). I paid the extra (over the 7A) because I already have electrical items that were made in China and they only last a few weeks. I've had my coffee maker replaced five times in ten months! How long before all these manufacturers begin to regret their move offshore?

Was that for the 42" or 50" model?

Was that for the 42" or 50" model?

I dare say its the 42" as the PX7 only comes in a 42 inch model.

The 50 inch isnt much more than that price, but then I guess thats a premium for a Japan model over a Chinese.

I agree chinese owned/operated/manufactured items are inferior but id love to hear feedback from someone thats had a Chinese Pana screen.

The Quality controls in place at the plant are meant to be the same as the Japanese. There was a member on this forum who's visited the chinese plant and said the controls/tests in place are impeccable but then again what do you beleive.

Guest techo_freak

I was talking about the 50" for the 70A.

Thanks for the feedback people, I realise it seems a little silly, but I like it when things last a little longer and long after the extra couple of dollars is forgotten about preferably.

42" ?

I was talking about the 50" for the 70A.

Thanks for the feedback people, I realise it seems a little silly, but I like it when things last a little longer and long after the extra couple of dollars is forgotten about preferably.

That's why you purchase with a 5 year warranty mate...

At the end of the 5 years, you'll be due for an upgrade anyway, and your 50"hd pana will be moved to the bedroom to make way for your new 80" sed or what ever they are!

I've had the 50" 70A for 2 weeks. (1st week was Chinese model). Initially, I received the Chinese model, I told JB Hi-Fi this and they swapped it for the Jap model. I'd rather Jap over Chinese. Let's face it, I think most of us would have more confidence in Jap products rather then Chinese. I do believe they are all being Chinese manufactured from now on. (7/70 series).

Regardless though, it's a sweet panel and looks awesome! :D

all the components in both chinese and japanese panasonic plasma tv's are manufactured in japan, its simply a case of assembled in china v's assembed in japan...

i cant see the significance of paying extra for that.....

Interesting point. Its the same significance as paying $2k extra for 1080p for little or no difference in viewing quality but its all just a state of mind.

Marketers know how to sell it well.

There are stores that are making some screens look extra attractive by labelling them as "made in Japan" etc.

At the end of the day I really don't see a difference, if the parts themselves are manufactured in Japan the only difference is a chinese or a japanese robot is putting it all together.

I mean we could only assume the japanese robot is better with his hands :P

mahoneyr, sounds like you got a pretty good deal for the tv and warranty. may i ask, was this bought cash or an interest free purchase? looking at buying one myself before end of the month. thanks.

Cash (well, Visa). I wasn't particularly interested in the interest free thing.

Hi,

Anyone, purchase the 50PV70 model lately?

what is the latest px now.

Had booked mine  in Jun 07 but display did not arrived and thought of cancelling my order.

Belive the shopowner had given my set to someone else and go stuck without a set due to delay shipment.

At the end of the day I really don't see a difference, if the parts themselves are manufactured in Japan the only difference is a chinese or a japanese robot is putting it all together.

I mean we could only assume the japanese robot is better with his hands :P

The concept of "Quality Control" has not yet arrived in China. Look at ANY item made there and you'll see what I mean.

Guest Brossy

Hi guys, only just registered.

Reading this thread has kinda annoyed me, as I think I got massively ripped off for extended warranty.

I bought my 4270A a couple of weeks back at the big Bing Lee 4 years interest free sale. Their floor price was $2249, which I know I could of bargained down, but they refused to go any lower whatsoever than $2500 on the 4 years deal. I thought that was fair enough, so agreed, because I am quite happy paying $13 a week for plasma goodness that I would otherwise be unable to afford.

So, that's all good and well, BUT, extended warranty for 5 years was $400!!! I got told LCD warranty was about $150, but plasma was much more expensive because of the high price of replacing parts.

So, I was happy until I found this thread, and saw people getting their 5 years for $150 - $250!

$400 now seems massively overpriced. I think it was 3 weeks ago I got the set, should I go back in and see if I can get some money back?

You should definitely go back but the ball is in their court really. Some places however have a 30 day rule in that if you find a price quoted on an equivalent item, they will match it.

So you should atleast see how you go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I dont know where they got the bit about plasma parts costing more to replace.

You've got to remember that different retailers have different extended warranty. I've been to Bing Lee recently and they claimed their extended warranty is superior to Harvey Norman's which is why they wouldn't match their price of $250.

The concept of "Quality Control" has not yet arrived in China. Look at ANY item made there and you'll see what I mean.

thats a bold statement mate. your just looking at things though a colored glass. my $1500 canon camera stuffed up twice with in 2 years, my sharp LCD died last year, one of the channels on my accuphase amp failed 2 month ago....want me to go on? there is just as many fked up made in japans as there is made in china.

if there is a made in china panasonic 700A for a cheaper price i would take that over a made in japan anyday.