Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi Guys,

I am part of the Panasonic group buy and expecting my shiny new 50PX700A very soon... wondering if anyone out there already has one of these, and if so can confirm for me if the panel has a 'monitor out'? While not in HD, I wouldn't mind the option of connecting to a DVD recorder without need for another DVB tuner.

There is one on the 42/50PX70A according to it's user guide, but the 50PX700A user guide is not yet available so I'm not so sure. The European equivalent, the 50PX700E doesn't, hence my concern...

:unsure:

Cheers,

Doc.

Hey Guys,

Got my dvd player (LG DV289H) connected to the tv using the HDMI cable. At the moment, dolby digital is output as bitstream from the dvd player. When doing this, there is no sound on the tv. If i change the output to PCM, I get sound through the tv.

The dvd player is also connected to a receiver and want it to receive the digital signal, but also want to be able to listen on tv when nephew is over watching a kiddies movie.

Should the tv be able to process the bitstream audio?

There are FAR more quality control issues in China than Japan..that's just a fact. That's not to say stuff made in Japan won't fail...of course they can.. Something being made in China doesn't necessarily mean it'll fail either....A lot of quality goods are put together in China because of the cheaper labor...How much is it worth for it to be made in Japan vs. China? Only you can answer that for yourself...but which would you rather have if you got to pick? I'd rather have Made in Japan 10 times out of 10 over Made in China...

Hi Guys,

I am part of the Panasonic group buy and expecting my shiny new 50PX700A very soon... wondering if anyone out there already has one of these, and if so can confirm for me if the panel has a 'monitor out'? While not in HD, I wouldn't mind the option of connecting to a DVD recorder without need for another DVB tuner.

There is one on the 42/50PX70A according to it's user guide, but the 50PX700A user guide is not yet available so I'm not so sure. The European equivalent, the 50PX700E doesn't, hence my concern...

:unsure:

Cheers,

Doc.

According to the specs sheet, it has a monitor out and a L&R Stereo/Optical SPDIF.

http://panasonic.com.au/content/library/files/F001906.pdf

Guest techo_freak

Well I got my Made In Japan 50" 70A, DSE did it for $2,700 in the end.

Fantastic picture and a bonus is the tuner is even better than the last STB I was using.

Well I got my Made In Japan 50" 70A, DSE did it for $2,700 in the end.

Fantastic picture and a bonus is the tuner is even better than the last STB I was using.

I read somewhere yesterday that the quality of the Panasonic inbuilt tuner is probably the best available.

Do you know if your 70A is the last of the existing Japan stock?

As at this stage im not even sure if its confirmed that the new arrivals of 70A will be chinese made.

It seems purely speculation at this stage.

I am after TH42PX70A. i went to HN Chadstone ( Melbourne) yesterday, the price the salesman gave me was $2000 for the plasma only. any suggestion for a better deal? thanks

hi IceMagik,

I'm keen to join your group buy but as I'm a new member of DTV I can't IM you... as I'm in Adelaide will I be able to join the group buy?

Thanks.

hi IceMagik,

I'm keen to join your group buy but as I'm a new member of DTV I can't IM you... as I'm in Adelaide will I be able to join the group buy?

Thanks.

yes mate u can join, be quick though,

jump into the group buy thread, leave me your email address and ill b dropping you an email

I just saw an advertisement in todays Herald Sun for Retravision - they are advertising the 42" Panasonic 70a for $1999. That's a pretty good price for a retail outlet. (They didn't list the model number, but as they listed it had 2 HDMI, it has to be the 70a).

If your having to tell people to make 5 dummy post's in that thread so they can PM people, why not just remove the no. of posts members need to perform the action ??

hey mate,

got my 5 posts under my belt and sent you a PM ...

i got the impression this whole posting thing is to stop automated spamming.....

It used to be 10 posts when I joined. It's just to filter our some of the garbage isn't it? :huh:

Yes, that's right - it's to stop spam-bots. It was decided that a minimum of 5 posts was the best compromise between inconvenience to new users and keeping the forum spam free.

I just saw an advertisement in todays Herald Sun for Retravision - they are advertising the 42" Panasonic 70a for $1999. That's a pretty good price for a retail outlet. (They didn't list the model number, but as they listed it had 2 HDMI, it has to be the 70a).

With what kind of Warranty?

hey mate,

i am looking to buy a 42PX70A - or a 50PX70A - to connect to my (yet to be bought) PS3.....

do you have any further feedback since your initial impressions on the TV? Is there any juddering or lag when playing PS3 on the TV?

Any advice you have would be appreciated, thanks!!

Andrew

Hey guys,

Received my 42PX70A last night, it is made in Japan, hooked up to ps3 via hdmi & with the latest firmware upgrade which upscales standard dvds to HD & all i can say is WOW :D the picture quality is absolutely amazing and would have to rival the 1920x1080 sets. Standard dvds up-converted look razor sharp and fantastic & the blu-ray 007 disc truely has to be seen to be believed. I set the settings from the HDTV website, which is great for DTV and HDDTV however i think may need some tinkering for the ps3.

Other then that extremely impressed with the set & thoroughly recommend!

With what kind of Warranty?

The advertisement didn't say. But I went to my local Retravision last weekend, and they quoted me about $350 to extend the warranty for 5 years total (manufacterer warranty is 12 months). I checked the terms of the policy, and it only covers up to a maximum total payout of the purchase price. So if the TV broke down twice during the extended warranty, you would only have a limited "credit" left for the second claim. I'm pretty sure that if the TV is completely replaced by Panasonic within the first 12 months, that the extended warranty will NOT cover the second TV - it only covers the first one.

I was just reading a couple of the posts on extended warranties and thought I would pitch in with a bit of what I learnt while shopping for my TV.

Hi guys, only just registered.

Reading this thread has kinda annoyed me, as I think I got massively ripped off for extended warranty.

I bought my 4270A a couple of weeks back at the big Bing Lee 4 years interest free sale. Their floor price was $2249, which I know I could of bargained down, but they refused to go any lower whatsoever than $2500 on the 4 years deal. I thought that was fair enough, so agreed, because I am quite happy paying $13 a week for plasma goodness that I would otherwise be unable to afford.

So, that's all good and well, BUT, extended warranty for 5 years was $400!!! I got told LCD warranty was about $150, but plasma was much more expensive because of the high price of replacing parts.

So, I was happy until I found this thread, and saw people getting their 5 years for $150 - $250!

$400 now seems massively overpriced. I think it was 3 weeks ago I got the set, should I go back in and see if I can get some money back?

You've got to remember that different retailers have different extended warranty. I've been to Bing Lee recently and they claimed their extended warranty is superior to Harvey Norman's which is why they wouldn't match their price of $250.

Brossy, like natrap said you have to take into account the different extended warranty policies when looking at the price. I am not sure what Bing Lee's policy on warranties is, but Harvey Norman and Domayne (and it seems from pksw's post quoted below, retravision aswell) have a claim limit on their extended warranties. So, say your TV cost 2100 then thats the maximum cost of repairs that your extended warranty will cover. In my experience, the stores that offer these types of warranties are generally more willing to give you a discount on the price of them. So, if you find people who are getting a 4 year extended warranty for 150-250 dollars from a store (especially HN or Domayne), then they are most likely getting this type of warranty. I got my TV from domayne and got this type of extended warranty.

Others stores offer an extended warranty that has no dollar limit. Meaning no matter how the cost of repairs for your tv becomes during your extended warranty period, you are always covered. However, I have found that these stores are less likely to or will flat out refuse to discount the price of their extended warranty. JB Hifi and I think David Jones (not 100 percent sure on DJ's, so double check if you are going there) offer this type of warranty, both of these stores quoted me 500 for their extended warranty. Before today, I would have said that for the price you are paying for your extended warranty Brossy, you would have been getting one with no limit, but not so sure given the price that pksw quoted below. But, I would definitely check what type you are getting and if you are getting an extended warranty with a limit of the price of the tv, then I would push for some money back, but if you don't have a limit, then you are definitely getting a good deal.

As for the different prices of the extended warranties for LCD vs Plasma, it could be possible that they offer different warranty types for each one. IE - with a limit for LCD and without for plasma.

One thing that I would watch out for is salesman who makes claim like "It is an extension of the manufacturer's warranty", because in the case of an extended warranty with a dollar limit, it is most definitely not, because manufacturers warranties dont have a dollar limit.

The advertisement didn't say. But I went to my local Retravision last weekend, and they quoted me about $350 to extend the warranty for 5 years total (manufacterer warranty is 12 months). I checked the terms of the policy, and it only covers up to a maximum total payout of the purchase price. So if the TV broke down twice during the extended warranty, you would only have a limited "credit" left for the second claim. I'm pretty sure that if the TV is completely replaced by Panasonic within the first 12 months, that the extended warranty will NOT cover the second TV - it only covers the first one.

Hey Guys,

Got my dvd player (LG DV289H) connected to the tv using the HDMI cable. At the moment, dolby digital is output as bitstream from the dvd player. When doing this, there is no sound on the tv. If i change the output to PCM, I get sound through the tv.

The dvd player is also connected to a receiver and want it to receive the digital signal, but also want to be able to listen on tv when nephew is over watching a kiddies movie.

Should the tv be able to process the bitstream audio?

Anyone able to help me out here?

Hi! Got my set at BD. Was a walk-in customer. List price was $2959 with 3 years warranty from Panasonic, $300 BD voucher and $200 NTUC voucher. Final purchase price was $2499 (incl 7% GST) + $200 NTUC voucher ($300 BD voucher used to offset selling price). Sales guy gave 3+2 years warranty. Paid using Diners 48 months 0% installment plan (last month free = effective price of $2447). Delivery on sunday afternoon.  ;D

just got mine today at BD Takashimaya...had to bargain with the friendly salesman to give me the promotional price i saw last friday.  End up paying $2499 with $200 Ntuc voucher, $100 Robinsons voucher and 5 year warranty (safety 5).  Furthermore able to get link points  top up (about 4998) and exchanged Taka points for $60 voucher (based on amount of points gained by paying using Taka card) 

hope this can help others who are interested cause i gained a lot of information and insights from the bros here.

i too juz gotten mine for $2300 at gain city with the normal 3yr warranty from panasonic. include $200 NTUC voucher and use standard chartered 12 month 0% installment. Oh yeah, wall moun installation can be done anytime within 1 yr from date of purchase.

So far, it look pretty good, the color is pretty brilliant compared to my sharp 32PX5 but it look a little bit pixellated when i feed thru HDMI for both the starhub HD box and my DVD player. maybe i'm sitting 2m away from it. Still have yet to try out the VGA cable and yet to play around with the configuration too. Maybe will post a mini review when I do a proper setup later today.

cheers.

Welcome to the Panny family, I would agree that 2m is a bit too close for comfort when viewing anything on plasmas.  A distance of 2.5m to 3m should yield better results for you.  Now time for you to get the remaining pieces of the HD puzzle.  ;D