Samsung PS42D5 ..... Any thoughts ?

Guest sharonw

Regarding the Blue Flashing Light - Does anyone have the firmware version number and Build date for their Samsung?

You need to enter factory mode to get these settings. From Standby Press:-

Info > Menu > Mute > Power

You should see some info like this on screen:-

T-MILMPEU-1004

T-ROMEPEUS-1002

JUL 01 2005

This is the firmware version and build date.

To exit factory mode, simply turn the set off and on again.

I strongly recommend you do not change any settings in the factory mode. Changes to these settings could severly affect the performance of your TV and may cause irreversible damage.

Anyone with the Blue flashing light problem, please let me know the build version and date so I can investigate further.

Also, anyone not experiencing this problem please post too, so we can compare.

edit: No flashing

T-PCN42PEAS-1014

SUB MICOM VER- 1005

MAY 03 2005

Hope that helps.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your replies.

Well, it looks like you both have the exact same firmware inside.

Onnzo, and anyone else with the flashing problem, does this blue flashing happen after extended periods of use? Maybe after a few hours of watching TV? Or can it happen soon after you turn the set on? Is there anything inparticular about the circumstances when this occurs?

Thanks for your replies.

Well, it looks like you both have the exact same firmware inside.

Onnzo, and anyone else with the flashing problem, does this blue flashing happen after extended periods of use? Maybe after a few hours of watching TV? Or can it happen soon after you turn the set on? Is there anything inparticular about the circumstances when this occurs?

hi

this problem does seem to happen after extended periods of 1-2 hours and usually in darkened conditions (this may just be the fact that that is the only time i watch the plasma and my wife just doesn't tell me about it when watching her soap operas and other american garbage shows during the day).

i rang jb again and the manager said that it didn't sound right and that she was contacting samsung again. i told her that i wanted samsung to refund my money and i want to get a panasonic. i am waiting for her reply.

tom

Same.

TPCN42PEAS 1014

SUB MICOM VERSION 1005

MAY 03 2005

And that is after the board replacement.

I am almost getting used to it...pq that is. Flashing light is a shocker.

No pattern as to when it flashes. It just does.

For the first time last night, I actually thought my picture of Ch 9 was good on the Samsung.

I may actually put up with the blue flashing light...and stay with the Samsung. After all it looks great and has the 2 year warranty.

And the Pana has NO burn in protection at all and no PC input.

Guest sharonw

:blink::P

Well I guess it is luck of the draw whether you have a good Samsung unit or not.

After starting this topic, I read it regularly and can't believe the amount of replies. I have to say we have been extremely lucky. Besides a blown pixel within days of purchase (June 2005) which was replaced with new plasma no questions asked, we have had no problems. The pq is great, flashing blue light is only in response to remote usage and the going price is still around what we paid 6 months ago (we got it at a bargain). Have had problems with Teac STB and still have, but JB HI FI have been great in swapping over faulty units again no questions asked.

I hope I have not jinxed our good luck by posting this, but all I can say is 'We got a good one and we love it'. I only wish everyone could get the pleasurable viewing we have.

:P:P:D:P

Guest sharonw

We also have E.Saving at Standard. Am not changing it if that is the 'Power Saving' problem everyone else seems to have.

I love my picture just the way it is.........The soccer was fantastic on it last week !!!

:blink:

Is that from your years of experience of using every plasma on the market?

Well i'v had plasma's since they had been out for only months and yes i'v used both fiji and panasonic (got the current pana SD now to go with projector) and would have to say the current gen fuji's PQ is better than panasonics current gen.

Try auditioning the cheaper HD STB eg Hotchip and Kaon (less than $300). Better still, get them from places that have a refund, no-questions-asked policy eg JB and DSE. So if you cannot see any diff in PQ between a HD or SD STB, then by all means but the SD STB.

I have just read this thread from start to finish and it took me ages but I found it a good read.

Must be damm frustrating for you guys that got dud panels . I know what it's like to pay good bucks for something and to have it screw up .

I get my 1st panel in a few days and am hoping that it's not going to be a dud ........ or wife will kill me :ph34r:

It is good to see that you guys still retaining a sense of humour about the situation .

cheers

Well i'v had plasma's since they had been out for only months and yes i'v used both fiji and panasonic (got the current pana SD now to go with projector) and would have to say the current gen fuji's PQ is better than panasonics current gen.

Ah, so you're comparing a panel that you have never used with panels you have used?

Ah, so you're comparing a panel that you have never used with panels you have used?

I would say at the time when I got a fiji they where better PQ wise than panasonic ( but pana was better burn- in wise)and the current fuji's are better PQ wise than panasonic even though they use panasonic glass.

Guest mrhaboobi

Hey Guys.

Finally went ahead and bought the HD Samsung. Set it up last night, have to say that i'm very happy with it. Managed to get PS2 hooked up via component, what a different that makes to std composite. Have Sky tv ( i'm in nz ) running via the S-video which is fairly good but not wonderful.. Normal tv looks fine aswell. Still struggling a little with the colours, but seem to have gotten them fairly good.

The blue light doesnt flash, will keep you updated on any issues if i have any..