Thoughts on Yamaha Amps as a brand?

So, I've never owned a Yamaha amp, well stereo amp anyway (AVR's yes). What are people's thoughts on Yamaha amps then? Talking mainly about their better gear ie. A-S1200/2200/3200. Trying to get my head around thinking they are a budget brand. The AVR's I've had from them have been ok, similar to Denon/Onkyo/Marantz I guess. 

I'm think about getting a pair of Wharfedale Linton's and looking at pairing them with the Yamaha A-S1200 or 2200. I've always liked the look of these models and seen quite a few Youtube reviews saying they have a wonderful sound.  So does anyone own one or had experience with these models? They aren't the cheapest amplifiers and I'm wondering is it money better spent on something else?

Wondering how they would go with the Linton's too obviously, a few reviewers have said they are a good match. Kind of trying to keep the 'retro', theme with this system therefore not really looking at modern styled amps. I guess for the money I could also be looking at a tube amp. I guess what I'm asking is are these amps worth the dollars compared to similar priced options?

Proudly owner of a 3200 and love it, had the 2200 and the 1200 and the 2200. You should be able to get a good deal on a second hand 3200. That’s a monster and should drive any speaker, I have a pair of KLHs 5

19 minutes ago, hlov said:

I have a pair of KLHs 5

Really? Wow, that is the other speaker I am considering strongly. Only thing that has made me question them is a few people saying they can sound a little harsh/bright with some styles of music. I'm trying to avoid that at all costs. Did you audition the Linton's at all when you got the Model 5's?

13 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Really? Wow, that is the other speaker I am considering strongly. Only thing that has made me question them is a few people saying they can sound a little harsh/bright with some styles of music. I'm trying to avoid that at all costs. Did you audition the Linton's at all when you got the Model 5's?

Yup,, l took my favourite records when I auditioned them, liked the Linton’s but the KLHs were better IMHO. My recommendation is to demo them ; )

H

• Thanks 1

I bought my Yamaha A-S2200 online from Len Wallis Audio. RRP was $5199 but my buying price was below that. The A-S 2200 and 3200 are the stars  of the Yamaha Integrated line up and the build quality of them is excellent.

Not sure where the Yamaha Dealers are in Melbourne but an audition (hopefully with your speaker of choice) will answer all your questions.

One issue that will emerge is what you get for your cash. The Yamaha amps have a first class headphone amp....a quality MM/MC input.....and the amp itself. No DAC is included ? Game breaker...up to you. Len Wallis pointed out that a lot of clients already own high quality DAC's and Music servers so the lack of these facilities was not a  deal breaker.

Anyway enjoy the journey.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 075Congo said:

Audio Trends in Ringwood are Yamaha Dealers as well as selling Wharfdale Linton speaker.

Yeah Mick, exactly where I was looking to go and audition. I might check out the KLH Model 5's somewhere else as well. Love thFi Rose RSe look of the Wharfedale Dovedales however spending that much may cause some damage marriage wise 😬

And yes I have a decent streamer/dac in the form of a HiFi Rose RS250 🙂