My System Today

2CFDC6C8-6FBD-4E50-AA43-71210CC87C0F.thumb.jpeg.6951ad4cd706b39f3265c8542c554725.jpeg

Low cost, high value addition in the form of an AQ Jitterbug for the iPad "system". 

Wasn’t expecting much and, truth be told, it’s not like getting a new component but I’d definitely liken it to adding some sort of power filtering. A general removal of hash and more definition to the music. It’s the sort of difference you’d um and ah about if it was $500-$600 but at around a tenth of that, it’s a no-brainer. I deemed it worth a try because there’s not really much else I can do with this system. Dare I say, I’ve reached an endpoint and I am... completely content.?

For now.

(dammit, I just couldn’t let go, could I ?)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RankStranger said:

hmm. Did you just log in to moode.local on your tv’s web browser? I’d never thought of doing that. Or is it something else?

i had a desultory play with getting HDMI out of my pi for the GUI at one point but gave up without trying too hard

Hisense latest model 65” inch 4K. Just brought up its browser and put in the local IP address for Moode as leased but the router. I’m on a Telstra router for me the IP was 10.0.0.112. Put that in and Moode popped Up. The remote allows me to control Moode. A bit clunky but workable. 

• Like 1

An update to one of my systems today.  Replaced Wharfedale Diamond 121s with JBL 4312M speakers.   I have set them up connected by MIT speaker wires to the Rega Brio-R integrated amplifier. It’s too early for anything definitive but here are my initial observations:

• Absolutely no issue with being driven by the Rega.
  • Crystal clarity in the mids and highs. The cymbals in The Dave Brubeck Quartet’s Blue Rondo A La Turk (from Time Out SACD played on the CD layer) were real, present and natural. 
  • Good bass, drums in The Dave Brubeck Quartet’s Take Five (from Time Out SACD played on the CD layer) were  natural and with snap, though not the last word in depth or tautness that comes from my floorstanders.
  • Sounded a little bit harsh on some rock, such as Maroon 5. I expect the still have to play in.  
  • Chet Baker sounds great, intimate and natural - a real treat. 
  • I enjoyed the Wharfedale Diamond 121s but these are an improvement, in detail and in more accurate reproduction (more monitor less general speaker).

All this improved by the fact I acquired them (and the speaker wire and the Rega amp) through SNA Classifieds in excellent transactions.  

DBEF1ECC-61CD-4F8B-9B98-DB7F9F62D2F4.jpeg

ABBF510D-D2D2-4381-BAF3-4E79BFB8C238.jpeg

F85AA044-5736-44A5-BC7B-A7D444F009F0.jpeg

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Hisense latest model 65” inch 4K. Just brought up its browser and put in the local IP address for Moode as leased but the router. I’m on a Telstra router for me the IP was 10.0.0.112. Put that in and Moode popped Up. The remote allows me to control Moode. A bit clunky but workable. 

Bloody clever :) 

3 hours ago, demmauhong said:

Yes kharma speaker drive by Wavac EC300B single end

I'm surprised, I would have thought the Kharma's would have been pretty hungry speakers wanting to be driven by your Halcros rather than 300Bs.

5 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

I'd suggest some form of isolation for the speakers, will probably lift the performance up a notch.

Yes, I actually wondered about that when I noticed no little rubber feet provided with speakers.  Do you think Blutack would be a sensible option given my limited clearance?

I do also have those isolation pads you can buy from Bunnings.  Might give them a go first. 

Edited by KRSDarwin

1 minute ago, KRSDarwin said:

Yes, I actually wondered about that when I noticed no little rubber feet provided with speakers.  Do you think Blutack would be a sensible option given my limited clearance?

If possible, why not move it to the shelf above, seems a little taller than the one it's on and see if you can score some IsoAcoustics mini isopucks? Think they cost around $150 ish for 8 mini pucks.

Guest The Fresh Prince
15 minutes ago, awayward said:

I see you have a PSA Stellar Phono Pre, care to share your opinion of its performance, perhaps compared to other phono stages you have used?

Assessing, as we speak (type)

On 10/06/2020 at 10:09 PM, demmauhong said:

New toys

7622C86B-6180-46BA-BDD9-20172AF188EB.jpeg

43567804-349A-4EAB-9EE6-E7072535D6D9.jpeg

E8C0AB15-9141-4780-860D-527485C7952A.jpeg

The difference between men and boys is the size of their feet and the price of their toys! ?...Well Done ?

Edited by BugleBoy
  • Haha 1