Pioneer Kuro Black bar has appeared

Sime,

At this stage...............probably look hard for used VT series Panny.

But will re assess when the time does sadly come.......... 

Quite volatile in the TV tech world these days!!!

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, JohnL said:

Sime,

At this stage...............probably look hard for used VT series Panny.

But will re assess when the time does sadly come.......... 

Quite volatile in the TV tech world these days!!!

No VTs on eBay at the moment. 

10 hours ago, Tweaky said:

Problem is the KURO was a well bedded and proven design, the suggested replacement, a OLED by either LG or SONY [moot since Sony uses LG panels], is that the OLED is not yet a proven design, and OLED longevity is not yet known.......looking at posts about Black bars appearing on new OLEDs, and the pokery trickery used to make the panels seem Blacker than they actually are by setting them to have a high Blue cast, which boost the Whites to make them appear brighter than they actually are, they are doing that because OLED just can't be as bright as LCD [see the ISF calibration thread of before/after ]

OLED looks impressive, but I'm not convinced of long term reliability, and at the prices being asked, I'd rather spend the same amount on a top of the range UHD capable LCD/LED.

Hey, but that's just me.....to each their own.

I wouldn't worry too much about OLED longevity. If you pick up a 2016 55" right now you'll get it for around 2500 then extend the warranty to 5 years... You cover yourself in case of failure and if the whole panel goes then you'll either get your money back or have the thing replaced with the latest model. Either way, you're guaranteed the thing won't cost you any more than $500 or so a year...likely a lot less if it fails within warranty... Win!

Guest thathifiguy

the most hilarious part though.. is that with a geriatric kuro...that works perfectly well... I sorta get the feeling it might last longer or be more reliable than an LG oled [emoji3] 

Yeah, that's true. I have been very happy with the OLED thus far though and while it may not be as reliable (can't say at this stage), I still have a few years left on my HN warranty.

Incidentally, I got the OLED as a replacement after having two 65" Panasonic plasmas both experience issues with horizontal banding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, thathifiguy said:

Incidentally, I got the OLED as a replacement after having two 65" Panasonic VT series plasmas both experience issues with horizontal banding.

that is the very unfortunate thing with panels these days... just cant rely on them to go the distance. our old japanese made hitachi plasma is STILL 10+ years later now going just fine now in its 3rd home :D  somethings just dont die ! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, unclemack said:

I wouldn't worry too much about OLED longevity. If you pick up a 2016 55" right now you'll get it for around 2500 then extend the warranty to 5 years... You cover yourself in case of failure and if the whole panel goes then you'll either get your money back or have the thing replaced with the latest model. Either way, you're guaranteed the thing won't cost you any more than $500 or so a year...likely a lot less if it fails within warranty... Win!

Any link to 2500 price would be appreciated. JB had the older model at full price today. 

My Pioneer 43inch from 2004 was still going last time I saw it at a friends place that I gave it to up until 6 months when he tossed it out for a LG led, said it was the worst thing he ever did.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nap250 said:

Any link to 2500 price would be appreciated. JB had the older model at full price today. 

That would be $2999? There's a fair amount of meat left on that bone. If you were in Vic then I could help. Try calling a few JBs and test the waters. The new models have landed so they should be keen to move the older ones on.

M

2 minutes ago, unclemack said:

That would be $2999? There's a fair amount of meat left on that bone. If you were in Vic then I could help. Try calling a few JBs and test the waters. The new models have landed so they should be keen to move the older ones on.

M

Will do.  Putting up with a bar chart for a few weeks should be doable. 

Interestingly the Good Guys have the 2017 55 inch model discounted. 

Edited by Nap250

It won't be till around the end of April / early May before JB and others start heavy discounts on their current TV stock, as historically the new stock/models don't start coming in till mid May at the earliest [except for one or two display units ] so just sit tight till then.

It's the same thing every year, CES beginning of January announcing new models, sell off of old models April/ May, new stock for sale in June ...with teaser discounts saying mid year sales

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powerav said:

Something that you wont get anymore also is the fact that Pioneer had there own exclusive install team and would set up and calibrate every TV, pretty awesome.

They stopped that at the end. They were struggling to make any money on those screens. 

5 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

It won't be till around the end of April / early May before JB and others start heavy discounts on their current TV stock, as historically the new stock/models don't start coming in till mid May at the earliest [except for one or two display units ] so just sit tight till then.

It's the same thing every year, CES beginning of January announcing new models, sell off of old models April/ May, new stock for sale in June ...with teaser discounts saying mid year sales

Need to be patient. Not easy. 

I have followed the OLED technology for years now. It is quite old now, so why are there so few models if it is superior? It sounds like it should have killed off all other types but it has not. I recall that there have been many problems including an issue with the blue O/leds in the actual panels. I wonder if they will ever truly gain traction and be universally accepted?

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

I had to laugh when visiting the AVS forum and read Sony's PR spiel about it's new OLED range.

QUOTE:

“With over 10 years of OLED experience, Sony is pleased to introduce the BRAVIA OLED 4K HDR TV, its first large screen consumer OLED television. Our long experience with OLED technology, together with the new 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme, meant that this was the right time to return to the consumer OLED market. The A1E features a powerful mix of our exclusive image processing with a striking new design concept that is sure to make an impression in anyone’s home "

Nothing about how they threw OLED technology into the too hard basket and went with LED/LCD instead, or that it is sourcing it's OLED panels for these new TV's from LG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saxon Hall said:

I have followed the OLED technology for years now. It is quite old now, so why are there so few models if it is superior? It sounds like it should have killed off all other types but it has not. I recall that there have been many problems including an issue with the blue O/leds in the actual panels. I wonder if they will ever truly gain traction and be universally accepted?

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

At the end of the day..........the people in charge of such things are simply...........MORONS

Let's have 3D........................let's not.

Let's have curved screens....let's not.

Let's have UHD...........what about HDR?........FALD?.....LCD..........LED..........OLED........probably missed a few more

They just throw ANYTHING out there now so they can claim "NEW TECH!!!!" and shift a stack.

After a while you realize it's just become ONE BIG JOKE

My Motto..........Buy the best TV you can afford and hang on to it for as LONG as you can...............repeat 

Of course my well off mate did just that when he got the latest 4K capable 85' LG a while back........

Naturally he now can't even hook up a 4K player and get 4K

Why?............because of EVEN MORE BS!!!!........like the latest HDCP 2.2.....and HDMI 2.0

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/

Yes there's a workaround........but as he paid $15K for the thing and it had 4K capable plastered all over it........he shouldn't need it!!!!!!!

WHAT A JOKE...........Early adopters just keep getting screwed.

Even I did when I waited till the Pioneer 507 (720P) came out to ditch my Sony CRT.

Just shortly after came the Pioneer LX508 with better blacks and 1080P.......... 

And to top it off YOU have paid for it........YOU own it.........but half the Service Menu stuff is some kind of big secret.

Imagine buying a car but you're not allowed to pop the bonnet!!!!..............GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!

END OF RANT and apologies if deemed as OT

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, powerav said:

I felt ripped off paying $8000 for a 43inch Pioneer back in 2005 and having no TUNER! 

My younger brother took out on his housing loan $12k to by a 42" Hitachi Plasma with no tuner and it's not even 1080.  Its all part of moving into the house, just got married, and thought that this was the end all solution.  

When I rocked up, the 1st thing I said to him; "you idiot!" 

In 2008 he realised what I said, replaced the Plasma with a 1080 55" LCD Sony for under $2k and never look back.

i really don't have any idea why people in these neck of the woods would go out and buy the best series screens at super expensive prices when the technology is changing st a rapid rate.  There's always a new series every 6-9mths and you can never catch up.  

If I was the OP I'd wouldnt pay around $2k for a UHD 66-65" and be done with it.  They are never going to bring gas guzzling plasma back into the market, as everyone in opting for efficient appliances.  

I won't replace my cheap LED Samsung 55" that set me back $1400 at JB 2yrs ago and I still have a 52" LCD Samsung that I paid $3500 for back in 2008 so we can watched the Beijing Olympics on 1080 that now resides in my daughter's bedroom.  I'll only replace them when they fail.

7 hours ago, JohnL said:

Imagine buying a car but you're not allowed to pop the bonnet!!!!..............GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!

This is funny because most people don't pop the bonnet now.

• Like 1