Our DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

2 hours ago, Citroen said:

I still reckon the spacers should cover the full label, or if not then why not just have them at say 20mm? 

Wouldn't that be cheaper than a 75mm spacer?

You need to 'grip' the record as it turns & a decent diam spacer does this better, with less clamp force.

Also, there's the question what's readily available in the right material, at reasonable cost & minimum labour input.

Cheers, Owen

http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chaps - for those awaiting completion of kits - I'm pleased to report that first batch of stainless steel laser-cuts arrived today, also pre-folded.

Rivnuts to be fitted & we'll dble-check correct fit this weekend.

Just the drive-coupler moulding part to come, then ready to ship.

Thanks for your patience everyone.

Cheers, Owen

SS lasercut 200417.JPG

• Like 3

On 4/9/2017 at 7:22 PM, Owen Y said:

You need to 'grip' the record as it turns & a decent diam spacer does this better, with less clamp force.

Also, there's the question what's readily available in the right material, at reasonable cost & minimum labour input.

Cheers, Owen

How much for a set of the spacers? The gherkin jar lids on my Polski USM are killing me!

Agreed that the labels don't need protecting, the film of cleaning fluid doesn't run or drip on to the labels. I run with the labels about 8mm above the bath fluid level. Actually I haven't wet a label since I graduated from cleaning records over the kitchen sink.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, enikoy said:

How much for a set of the spacers? The gherkin jar lids on my Polski USM are killing me!

Agreed that the labels don't need protecting, the film of cleaning fluid doesn't run or drip on to the labels. I run with the labels about 8mm above the bath fluid level. Actually I haven't wet a label since I graduated from cleaning records over the kitchen sink.

Hi @enikoy - we're just assembling a small batch of these & not really a commercial enterprise with stocks of parts avail, sorry.

Cheers, Owen

A bit of overtime in the engineering shop ;)  & the injection moulding is done - drive couplers moulded in ABS plastic (below).

The trial rivnuts in the metalwork were a bit tight fit on the tank, so the remainder will be installed a touch shorter.

Everything is to hand now, we'll be ready to ship next week.

Cheers, Owen

IMG_1402.JPG

• Like 3

I've been watching the various DIY Ultrasonic cleaners for the past few years or so with great interest.

Almost got one bought over from USA, but even with free transport cost (via a US visiting relative) the lp holder/spinner still seemed too expensive.

Owen's version is much more affordable!

It is designed for one model of US cleaner, and one model of lp rotater only. However, these two are very commonly available worldwide.

58fee9e66b5e2_USCleamnerOY.thumb.jpg.6c5c781e9751bea94cd63294b4a9512a.jpg

It also packs up to a small footprint when you've finished cleaning.

Sight_2017_04_25_175058_146.thumb.jpg.19d63e199cd9e371c9318a7aa5047292.jpg

• Like 5

@Owen Y Just an after thought, with 4 lps its a bit of a tight fit getting them in, as you do need to angle the spindle (and hence the stack of lps) to get the drive coupler in position.

If it was a vertical drop in place, it would be much easier with 4 lps and possibly even with 5, given the spacer widths.

Cleaning should be uniform as the gap between the records is the same, just more lps being cleaned at once, cf narrower spacers, which could possibly reduce cleaning ability.

If the support had a cut out, then vertically dropping the stack of lps in place would be easier. Not sure about the structural integrity but should be oK given the bottom is still in tact. 

US cleaner_LI (2).jpg

On 31/03/2017 at 8:36 PM, ABG said:

My experience is that all of them are improved by cleaning in an US cleaner.  The results are significantly improved (and often drastically improved) by running the still wet records fresh out of an US cleaner through a vacuum type RCM.  I tried letting records air dry when I first got my US cleaner - let's face it, it's less work - but now I run them all through my Record Doctor V after a bath.  I reckon the US cleaner loosens the crud, the RCM sucks it away from the grooves.  See if you can borrow one to try for yourself.  I reckon you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Hi Andrew,

Re. vacuum dry vs. air dry ... and the (good) effect of using a 1-micron filter:

• this long weekend, I finally got my 1 micron filter working (with a 12v DC pump), with my Sonix IV US tank.
  • first, I listened to an LP which had been cleaned using the (previous) aquarium filter ... but not vacuumed dry.
  • then I re-cleaned it with the 1-micron filter in circuit ... then blow-dried it.
  • result - quieter!  :thumb:
  • I then re-washed it in the US tank for a couple of minutes - and then used my NG to vacuum it dry.
  • result - no quieter:party

So AFAIAC, using the 1-micron filter takes out all the crap which was in suspension in the water - which was previously resting in the bottom of the grooves with the liquid ... so was still there when the liquid dried (unless I vacuumed it out) and which caused the LP to be noisy.

Removing this crap in suspension results in a quiet record - so the 1-micron filter is doing a much better job than the aquarium filter.  So I no longer need to vacuum dry each side.  :thumb:

So my US cleaning setup consists of the following:

Unfortunately, I sourced these from Amazon - which I hate with a passion, as they don't offer any way of getting in touch with them to ask questions - but I know you can search eBay for the same pump.

Plus the following items from www.ultrasonic records.com:

• 2 spindles with spacers (to take 6 LPs) and a gear wheel.  One spacer for the LPs in the US tank, the 2nd for LPs which are being blow-dried.
  • a frame with a slow-rotation motor, to hold the spindle at just the right height above the US tank.
  • a "Blower Cube" - a box with a powerful fan (and a lid) to blow-dry the LPs.  Unfortunately, this is not 100% effective, as supplied - I had to fit a slow-rev motor to turn the LPs in the airstream ... and I think it would be good to rig up some ceramic resistors in the base of the Cube, to provide a warming effect on the airstream.

So it's not a budget setup - but I believe it cleans just as well - if not better than - the commercial "all-in-one" units and I get to clean 6 LPs at a time.  :D

And my liquid mixture is: 7.8l of distilled water / 400ml of 99% IPA / 8ml of Ilfotrol.

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Citroen said:

@Owen Y Just an after thought, with 4 lps its a bit of a tight fit getting them in, as you do need to angle the spindle (and hence the stack of lps) to get the drive coupler in position.

If it was a vertical drop in place, it would be much easier with 4 lps and possibly even with 5, given the spacer widths.

Cleaning should be uniform as the gap between the records is the same, just more lps being cleaned at once, cf narrower spacers, which could possibly reduce cleaning ability.

If the support had a cut out, then vertically dropping the stack of lps in place would be easier. Not sure about the structural integrity but should be oK given the bottom is still in tact. 

Thanks @Citroen - good feedback, will think on that one.

My initial thoughts:

- the square drive spigot is around 13mm long, inserted inside the mtr drive hole.

- plus the stainless plate is around 9mm clear outside the motor drive.

- so you need to slide the shaft horizontally out of the motor drive at least 22mm before it clears the plate & can be lifted vertically out.

Thus, as long as the outer record is at least 22mm inside the outer tank wall, a 4-record stack should be able to be placed & removable as above.

Does that sound workable?

Cheers, Owen

On further consideration:

- a 4-record stack with 3 spacers, should be no more than around 83mm wide.

- the tank down at record depth, should be around 130 - 135mm wide.

- so there should be around 24mm clearance each side (this can of course also be varied ea side using the clamp knobs).

So, there should be adequate clearance to slide & lift vertically out without problems.

The other strategy, as mentioned, is to mount the motor hard against the plate without the plastic spacers (the spacers can go on the plate outer & the tank lid should just fit under) - this way, horiz clearance needed is reduced from 22mm to 13mm.

(Or use shorter screws, omit the spacers.)

Cheers, Owen

Edited by Owen Y

The tank is curved at the corners, so the outer lps need to be a few centimeters in from either long edge.

Otherwise they hit the tank.

I'll try omitting or moving the spacers. Or just do three at a time :)

4 hours ago, andyr said:

Hi Andrew,

Re. vacuum dry vs. air dry ... and the (good) effect of using a 1-micron filter:

• this long weekend, I finally got my 1 micron filter working (with a 12v DC pump), with my Sonix IV US tank.
  • first, I listened to an LP which had been cleaned using the (previous) aquarium filter ... but not vacuumed dry.
  • then I re-cleaned it with the 1-micron filter in circuit ... then blow-dried it.
  • result - quieter!  :thumb:
  • I then re-washed it in the US tank for a couple of minutes - and then used my NG to vacuum it dry.
  • result - no quieter:party

So AFAIAC, using the 1-micron filter takes out all the crap which was in suspension in the water - which was previously resting in the bottom of the grooves with the liquid ... so was still there when the liquid dried (unless I vacuumed it out) and which caused the LP to be noisy.

Andy,

Your conclusion may well be correct.

Or the second reclean may just have removed all the remaining dirt from the grooves, so if you had done a second aquarium filter clean you also could have gotten it to sound quieter.

A rewash (3rd time cleaning) may also have resulted in no quieter with aquarium filter, as its already as clean as its going to get. ;)

Edited by Citroen
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Citroen said:

The tank is curved at the corners, so the outer lps need to be a few centimeters in from either long edge.

Otherwise they hit the tank.

Hi @Citroen - yes the tank has curved  bott corners & also tapered sides, however, I have taken these into account.

A 4-record stack should work fine - just slide shaft sideways first out of the motor & then lift vertically - see below.

Additionally, you can simply offset the records on the shaft slightly towards the motor, by adjusting the clamp knobs.

Cheers, Owen

Edited by Owen Y

Chaps - those who have PM'd earlier, expressing interest, I will PM you in next couple of days when we have figured out postage costs - then you can confirm if still interested. Meanwhile please PM me your postal & email addresses.  Cost is A$175 + postage.

The 'kit consists of (see pic below):

3-part, 1.2mm stainless steel frame, stainless screws(4) & spring washers, stainless steel shaft with ABS drive-coupler & end bearing, semi-soft record spacers(4), clamp knobs(2). - All you need is a 2.5mm hex wrench (allen key) to attach 4 screws to assemble.

(The black laser-cut burn marks on the plates are just on the protective plastic film, which is removed.)

You will of course need:

1) Ultrasonic cleaner tank - this is the cleaner that I have & the one that this design will fit (be sure that you have this type of tank, there may be other sellers) .- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302040010527#shpCntId?rmvSB=true

2) Rotisserie motor - https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/gasmate-240v-rotisserie-motor/ (other motors may fit, but you may need to re-drill or renew the mounting the plate).

Cheers, Owen

IMG_1421.JPG

Edited by Owen Y

We may be looking at the same ones but if you search under Ultrasonic Cleaner 6l , on ebay there are a lot of them starting at $149 for the same model as Owen and I have.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Stainless-Steel-Heater-Timer-Industrial-Grade-6L-/221617736837?hash=item3399724c85:g:UxcAAOSwA3dYdxoz

Edited by EV Cali
  • Like 5