Vinyl is now mainstream

2 hours ago, powerav said:

A couple of years ago I listened to a turntable playing a LP, I heard a pop and then a hiss and then it stopped after only 4 songs. It was not even close to a 24/192 file.

Thank god for that.

• Like 1

This is the main reason I prefer CDs. I like the sound of LPs but not the noise. Hence my reticence about dropping equivalent money on second hand LPs.

Can i ask what digital front end you use that you feel betters an analogue one?
I'm sure some people feel digital is more convenient but my experience so far it hasn't been "better" sounding.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, rantan said:

...Edit: @audiofeline, you obviously haven't seen OP shops in Adelaide. The best you can do is Perry Como sings Christmas in a cover that looks like it lived in a skid pan:)

Don't tease me like that - I've been looking for that Perry Como album for years - and your stores have it in the rare collectable skid pan sleeve !!!!!!!!  Boy, I sure do live in the wrong city.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TOPSHELF said:

Can i ask what digital front end you use that you feel betters an analogue one?
I'm sure some people feel digital is more convenient but my experience so far it hasn't been "better" sounding.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well right at this moment I am confined to my car stereo (and its not bad as far as car stereos go)  and CD rips (and some vinyl FWIW) on my iPod as WAV files. I have been deprived of a dedicated 2 channel system which on Tuesday will change when I pick up my new gear. :D

Rewind back about 15 years and I used a Marantz CD52 through a Rotel 100 watt integrated into KEF C40s. I also used (and still have which will be part of my new system) a Rega Planar 2 from the 80s with a Linn LVV arm. I would say that the sound from both was on par however as I said, I appreciated the background silence of the CD. I don't necessarily feel digital is "better" although the last experience I had demonstrated that analogue wasn't "better" either. Obviously I have not had exposure to the best of either format nor am I ever likely to.

I do have every intention of upgrading the turntable when the missus has calmed down from this latest purchase. :-)

Edited by crisis
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, stevoz said:

I must have bought 70-80 LP's in the last year......I just don't go into records shops, except for the nostalgia of flicking through vinyl. It's online for me.....new and 2nd hand, mainly 2nd hand. I search for 'near mint' only with approx. 90% success rate and full refunds for the 10% that weren't up to scratch. Probably spent an average of $25-30 per album. You can't really go wrong.:)

I am much the same Steve, I am too fussy on condition and owning specific pressings to spend too much time digging randomly. When I rarely get the opportunity, I will have a quick look over the vinyl and spend the rest of my time mining through the CD's to find new albums to trial in the car :thumb:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, The Bluesman said:

But LPs have soul, CDs are clinical, LPs produce magic where CDs aren't analog and real and depend on DACs to make them kinda sound LP like  

Of course no sound at all without a dac!

Yep vinyl is as mainstream as smashed avo, fixies ,beards and tumeric lattes!

Well at least to the latest gen.

For those that are really into it it's niche.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leewood said:

Funny about this so called resurgence.  Haven't heard of too many new AM radio stations starting up again spinning the old 45's. :party

They stick with CDs. The awful sonics of AM radio are superb to take the hard edge and grain off a CD:P

• Like 3

15 hours ago, :) al said:

Yes we are getting off topic, it wasn't meant to be one of those boring cd vs vinyl, analog vs digital type of threads :)

am format agnostic anyways ..,

Couldn't agree more Al.

But then again, with stuff like secret handshakes, nods and winks and club membership, this thread was never going anywhere useful or enlightening, although many have made great posts.

I am a dual format guy these days,with an established collection and another growing one.

I'm not seeking the secret handshake.

Pass.

I’ve been playing records (vinyl) and using film cameras (developing in my darkroom) since I was young, which was a very long time ago.  And I’ve been continuously using both since then.  But it’s interesting to see both of those interests become “trendy” of late, I’m curious to see how long that lasts.

For both, the renewed interest has helped bring a lot of cool new products to the market, my approach is to grab all that kind of stuff while the going is good.  And at some point the trend-followers will move on to vintage washing machines or whatever, and there’ll be lots of good used stuff available very cheaply.

• Like 3

But LPs have soul, CDs are clinical, LPs produce magic where CDs aren't analog and real and depend on DACs to make them kinda sound LP like  

People have souls. Records are an inanimate object made from black vinyl.

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Saxon Hall said:

People have souls. Records are an inanimate object made from black vinyl.

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

.......that sound far better than those little 'soul-less' silver discs! Move on.....to another thread.:P I do love Blu-rays though, so much better than DVD.:D   PS: I actually did just buy a CD ....because I couldn't get the same music on LP!;)

Edited by stevoz

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

.......that sound far better than those little 'soul-less' silver discs!

Your opinion is noted and valued..................just like the person who you quoted.:)

Why does this always end up being tribal FFS?

• Like 1

What's with the FFS? If it was truly tribal I wouldn't be using smiley emoji's and keeping it 'light'........:emot-bang: It's a jokey thing mate, don't take it so 'F' seriously.;) I did say I actually bought a CD!!

Edited by stevoz

8 minutes ago, stevoz said:

What's with the FFS? If it was truly tribal I wouldn't be using smiley emoji's and keeping it 'light'........:emot-bang: It's a jokey thing mate, don't take it so 'F' seriously.;) I did say I actually bought a CD!!

No problem here at all. The FFS is just a colloquialism. I also would never judge you on whether you bought a CD or not. There is no club.:) My message is that the format is simply not important.

Chill.

9 minutes ago, rantan said:

Chill.

Mirror;)........I never had a problem, I live happily with both, just massively prefer LP's, and like to joke about it......because I like to (now used to) think Aussies have a sense of humour.:unsure:

12 minutes ago, powerav said:

Having these 2 lovely ladies on my screen while listening to a 24/96 file of Crazy On You gives me plenty of soul.

IMG_0038.JPG

Whats happening with 24/192? Is it moving forward. Ohh BTW, have you seen them lately?

Oops getting off topic again.

Just now, powerav said:

We all get old, her voice is still incredible though, there is a great bluray with Heart at Royal Albert Hall with orchestra 

True. I'm 62 now and have no idea how I got here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joz said:

Of course no sound at all without a dac!

Yep vinyl is as mainstream as smashed avo, fixies ,beards and tumeric lattes!

Well at least to the latest gen.

For those that are really into it it's niche.

Vinyl mainstream? You've got to be joking.

Mainstream among audiophiles, baby boomers with nostalgic eyes/ears and 26 year old hipsters that don't even own a turntable, maybe.

Vinyl sales may be increasing with the above populations, but the average Joe Public seems to still buy cds, downloads/streams or mostly just listens to the radio. 

BTW, what the hell is a tumeric latte? Sounds bloody awful...

• Like 1