The Best Sounding vinyl record/LP in your collection

Saw a couple (3) of them on Discogs from Oz resellers. You reckon the Oz pressing is worth a listen? Might give it a go.

And don't worry, you won't be held liable ;)

As it's a Harvest/EMI label the Aussie pressing might be a ripper. Perhaps it's a Maxicut even?

Saw a couple (3) of them on Discogs from Oz resellers. You reckon the Oz pressing is worth a listen? Might give it a go.

And don't worry, you won't be held liable ;)

As it's a Harvest/EMI label the Aussie pressing might be a ripper. Perhaps it's a Maxicut even?

The local pressing is CBS, so no EMI gold.

As I said, the local sounded pretty good.

If interested, I can ship you mine if you dont want to go via discogs. Pm if any interest.

If I was going discogs, I would try and get a uk pressing.

Cheers

One that keeps on amazing me is Rickie Lee Jones - Pirates. Just fantastically recorded with huge dynamic range. I have 2 copies, a slightly scuffed $2 copy and a recently purchased NM copy from the local second record shop $5 bin. Both standard Aust. pressings, seems to be enough floating around and not particularly popular  :(

https://www.discogs.com/Rickie-Lee-Jones-Pirates/release/3477715

R-3477715-1331958136.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

The local pressing is CBS, so no EMI gold.

As I said, the local sounded pretty good.

If interested, I can ship you mine if you dont want to go via discogs. Pm if any interest.

If I was going discogs, I would try and get a uk pressing.

Cheers

CBS? Well that's a surprise.

Thanks for the post anyway as I was just looking for something to play.....

It's been around the block a few times but my word it's a good album.

post-112606-0-14295000-1471330120_thumb.

I'd recommend Meddle and Animals.  Although 'Comfortably Numb' is pretty well indispensable.

'Animals' is my fav. PF album, would love to hear it on a high-end system!

Edit: And on 'vinyl' of course!

Edited by Freedom

The best for me has to be "The singles 81-85" can't beleive they were putting electronic music out like this way back then. So ahead of their time.

How old are you? :P  The best music ever came out in the 70's and 80's, including 'electronic'.....you should check out more of it. :thumb: PS: I'm 56! :D

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

Hi Steve, a very young 48. Grew up with 70s stuff, then was into the usual Bowie, Led zep, floyd etc... Then got into some new wave and electronic Depeche mode, human league, Newman, kraftwerk. Always liked alternative too like half Man half biscuit, omd, cure, early simple minds.

Any electronic recommendations greatly received.

Was also "there" at the happy mondays, Hacienda madchester hay day. Lol!

• Like 1

I have been trying to find the best possible copy of Time Out but there are so many conflicting reviews out there (case in point HERE).

Anyone got any suggestions?

Classic Records Clarity Vinyl 45RPM 4 record set in the red box

• Like 1

I picked up this album for a laugh last time I was in Dublin. Got it back to Melbourne and gave it a clean up and was totally floored by the sound. 1969 pressing from France.

Bit daggy but amazing soundstage and just huge sound.

Drew

post-108126-147198673131.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just to invert all this a bit - a consequence of this thread getting me thinking about my best sounding vinyl & looking at the shelves & odd box of such - I don't reckon I've heard say a third of my records. 'Cos I didn't play any for ~a decade & a half, but along the way kept accumulating, from people who were disposing of all their stuff in their migration to cds. /& I now don't play anything til it's washed, a return to vinyl resolution!

I'm still thinking about the best sounding record of what I have heard ...

Just to invert all this a bit - a consequence of this thread getting me thinking about my best sounding vinyl & looking at the shelves & odd box of such - I don't reckon I've heard say a third of my records. 'Cos I didn't play any for ~a decade & a half, but along the way kept accumulating, from people who were disposing of all their stuff in their migration to cds. /& I now don't play anything til it's washed, a return to vinyl resolution!

I'm still thinking about the best sounding record of what I have heard ...

Get washing then and get back to us on that one. :D  :thumb: 

• 3 months later...

Here's a new candidate, Blake Mills "Heigh Ho". Just fantastic how it fills the room with natural sounds and a sense of space. Dead silent pressing. Just go buy it!

Fremer's on to it:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/heigh-ho—blake-mills-goes-work#oIZVjB3smQKoyDy1.97

Still available at CCMusic, and don't forget your additional 25% discount using CCMNOV50 :

http://www.ccmusic.com/heigh-ho/602537915163

Edited by enikoy
  • Like 2

Purchased the Analog Spark pressing of West Side Story 2xLP's the other day. Michael Fermer gives sound 11/11 and I can hear why. Totally huge sound stage and amazing dynamics. If you like some broadway I'd say this is a must have.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Sisters Of Mercy - Vision Thing.  original german pallas pressing - 90gms or pure perfection.  

You will not hear a better sounding hard rock recording - they layers upon layers of guitars are incredible and the drumming of Doktor Avalanche is perfect :)   pretty well impossible not to play this LOUD and get out the air guitar and pretend to be Eldritch singing.

31869182180_bb34e98573_h.jpg

Edited by Metamatic
  • Like 2

The Sisters Of Mercy - Vision Thing.  original german pallas pressing - 90gms or pure perfection.  

31869182180_bb34e98573_h.jpg

Hi Shane,

Did you get the 4LP reissue of Floodland? Appreciate you can let me know how it sounds. I only have the mofi silver series.

2 hours ago, Y B said:

Hi Shane,

Did you get the 4LP reissue of Floodland? Appreciate you can let me know how it sounds. I only have the mofi silver series.

Hi Max

yes I did.  Its very good. It is the same mix as the original release.   the mofi mix is completely different for quite a few tracks, so great to have both.

the mofi sounds like good digital where the Flood box sounds like its been done analog.

the box set of First, last and Always is even better, as the original recordings always sounded pretty lame - the reissue sounds a lot better.

have not got Vision Thing box as the original Euro pressing is perfect - even after 300 plays :D

On 4/16/2015 at 11:27 PM, wolster said:

Not the sort of stuff I usually play but this Analogue Productions double LP 45RPM, remastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman never fails to impress.

AAPP_824-45__64373__11092009115118-332.j

When the needle drops on the first track 'When I fall in love', the orchestra intro is followed by that unmistakeable silky smooth voice. It really sounds as if he just stepped directly between the speakers.

I only have an original Capitol pressing of this.  Your post prompted me to go and relisten to it.  Yes, very nice.  I am sure the remaster must be impressive.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I only have an original Capitol pressing of this.  Your post prompted me to go and relisten to it.  Yes, very nice.  I am sure the remaster must be impressive.

Would be interesting to hear your impressions re the remaster if you get a chance to hear it. IME they don't always measure up to original pressings.