PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Didn't have much luck on the Db1i sale I put up at $1100, I guess was asking too much? Had plenty of interest, a few people said they would take them,  but no follow throughs unfortunately. If anyone here wants them, does $995 shipped sound fair? Otherwise Im thinking I should just put them away and inevitably one day ill get the chance to crack them out again, because I know I won't get anything like them for around the $1k mark anymore. I assume even if they stay boxed for quite a few years, they should be pretty much as good as they are know when I get them back out?

Just thinking along those lines, did the db1i center speaker ever make it out here? As musical as these are, they could make a pretty kick ass compact front 3 for a home theatre setup?

No I paid $2100 AUD from the importer in Sydney at the time (I believe the RRP was $2200 or $2300, but could be found closer to $2k street price here). Still I think under half of that is a bargain.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andre28 said:

No I paid $2100 AUD from the importer in Sydney at the time (I believe the RRP was $2200 or $2300, but could be found closer to $2k street price here). Still I think under half of that is a bargain.

You too honest mate.....! :D

and again yes sounds like a bargain man im still tempted :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. I’m now a proud owner of Twenty5.26 in diamond Black! 

Just got delivered today, I’m away for a few days so won’t have chance to play with them. Very excited tho.

Do you guys reckon a 150w 8ohm/ 300w 4ohm / 591 damping factor hybrid Vincent will drive these ok?

Also I’m a bit concerned my room is a bit small at 5mx3m. Thoughts?

I’m hoping and expecting these will be a big step over my LS50s

• Like 1

Congratulations! I have the same speakers in a similar size room and it works like a treat. I first drove them with an Emotiva pre and power rated at 300w which drives them with ease. Have now swapped over to my 110W Luxman 507ux which has no trouble driving them - a beautiful combo. I was expecting to have issues with the bass in such a small room but so far so good. Only when I play them really loud they can become a little boomy so it's nice to have some tone control and be able to pull the bass back a little when needed. I also love the loudness button at night with the kids in bed - makes listening at low volumes a lot more pleasurable to my ears. I don't think you'll have any trouble driving these speakers with the Vincent.

• Like 1

On 23/08/2018 at 10:33 PM, 1224 said:

Hi guys. I’m now a proud owner of Twenty5.26 in diamond Black! 

Just got delivered today, I’m away for a few days so won’t have chance to play with them. Very excited tho.

Do you guys reckon a 150w 8ohm/ 300w 4ohm / 591 damping factor hybrid Vincent will drive these ok?

Also I’m a bit concerned my room is a bit small at 5mx3m. Thoughts?

I’m hoping and expecting these will be a big step over my LS50s

Congrats on the new speakers, very nice. They will take some time to run in so be patient. The Vincent will be great. I've run mine with a 70w/ch Exposure amp and a 200w/ch Plinius amp. Worked fine with both.

• Like 1

Hi guys, 

I have auditioned few PMC speakers, 5.21, 5.22, 5.23. They are very detailed and with Rega amp they are very fast. Just excellent for classical music. Very likely it's going to be my second system as my current one is Focal aria 936 + Musical Fidelity amp, I am going to keep both PMC and Focal. What's the difference? I am estimating 50% of my recordings is going to sound better on Focals, 20% better on PMC and remaining 30% should sound reasonably ok on both. Unfortunately the most important component to good sound is well recorded and well mastered material. That being said one system is just unable to play every recording well. 

Anyway PMC impressed me a lot, especially with Rega. I also tried Moon and Marantz. Moon is great for lullabies, Marantz sort of versatile, and Rega has excellent timing and details. 

If going above $10K it would be very hard for me to choose between PMC5.26 and Focal Kanta. Above that level my ears are not good enough to hear sound improvement, I can hear the difference but I cannot call it improvement. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Yeah it's pretty epic. Set it up last night. Does seem like it will need some time to run and open up a bit. However still kills the LS50. It is showing up some limitations I think in my system. I'm getting, on some tracks, distortion which almost sounds like digital compression. Restart of the roomserver nuc was done but no joy. This was on kayne's runaway. Will have to do some more playing around. Maybe it's time to rejig the old usbridge. 

However great on others. I.e alicia keys was glorious.  Sounds like your really there. Fantastic.

Stabilizer bars are solid!

20180825_195929.jpg

20180825_195938.jpg

20180825_212942.jpg

47 minutes ago, 1224 said:

Thanks guys. Yeah it's pretty epic. Set it up last night. Does seem like it will need some time to run and open up a bit. However still kills the LS50. It is showing up some limitations I think in my system. I'm getting, on some tracks, distortion which almost sounds like digital compression. Restart of the roomserver nuc was done but no joy. This was on kayne's runaway. Will have to do some more playing around. Maybe it's time to rejig the old usbridge. 

However great on others. I.e alicia keys was glorious.  Sounds like your really there. Fantastic.

20180825_195929.jpg

20180825_195938.jpg

20180825_212942.jpg

The biggest limitation would be the small room and the big PMC's IMO. I would have stuck with stand mounts in that room but anyway I'm sure they'll sound epic once moved into a larger space. 

I have MB2's in 5x4.5 with room treatments and they sound better than good.

You will need to get your speaker placement correct over the coming weeks, PMC's are quite sensitive to placement. They are also a little ruthless with poorly recorded material. Its just a trait they are based on and its why they are loved in pro audio circles.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Oh no. What have you moved to?

From the Db1i to the Spendor A1. Unfortunately needed the sealed design. In an open room no doubt the db1i was superior, but for my application now the Spendor is more suited.

On 26/08/2018 at 2:16 PM, 1224 said:

20180825_195929.jpg

20180825_195938.jpg

20180825_212942.jpg

I want to join this club but not this color.  sooo nice.  I'm sure they will be fantastic.

On 25/08/2018 at 11:05 PM, blakey72 said:

Congrats on the new speakers, very nice. They will take some time to run in so be patient. The Vincent will be great. I've run mine with a 70w/ch Exposure amp and a 200w/ch Plinius amp. Worked fine with both.

Your front end looks great, are you sold on the plinius as best match so far?

On 27/08/2018 at 6:38 PM, CyberRampager said:

I have PMC Twenty5.23 (paired with Roksan integrated) and l think they sounded more natural than my Kef R900.

What size room do you have them in?