PMC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

22 hours ago, ACAUS said:

Hi all. I am considering the 5.26i. Just want to ask about the five.two series in general as I am I unable to demo in Sydney. 

(1) some of the measurements show a lively tweeter. Is this resolved by aiming the speakers directly forward rather than to the listener?

(2) for any who own it, how much space does 5.26i need behind it, particularly if placed near a corner? My room is 11mx4.3m but the hifi is at one end facing from long wall to long wall. Not ideal but it works with my harbeth shl5 plus, although those wouldn’t have as much bass punch. 5.24i is also an option although I have read that 5.26 has a bit more midrange saturation/detail

I have the 25.26, but I don't think the 25.26i is hugely different, so my experiences probably apply. When new, it was painfully bright, but after a few hundred hours of use, the brightness disappeared. It's possible if your system has an overemphasis on treble, it might sound lively.

I have it in a room that is 8.5m x 4.8m, on the short end, firing down the long length of the room. There is very little toe-in, so they are almost pointing straight ahead. The rear of the speaker is 40cm from the wall. Any closer, and the bass gets a bit too much. Any further into the room, and the bass falls flat. I'd say you want a little distance from the back and sides, but it doesn't need to be too far in. One of my speakers is a bit in the corner, but is still about half a meter from the side.

That works for me in this room. In your room, if you put in on the long wall (so firing across the short distance?), I'm not sure how it will work, but it might be fine. 

Yes, the 5.26 is definitely higher quality. If your system is up to it, you'll hear it.

• Like 1