Sansui Amps Owners & Discussion Thread

I have a 7900 and it's not tipping my bench to the right so you need to get up outta the chair and touch the left hand side and pull it down a little bit?

Cable management system is a bit similar to mine too as are the your cupboards.?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zedamon said:

’m very excited to have a play with it

You'll love the thing.  It has 'utility' in spades and yes it harks back to another era but that's where it shines; got grunt✔️ got phono stage which aint to shabby✔️ got headphone input✔️ you can do lots of things with it and you'll get to know the 'Sansui' sound of these 70's era amps...it's special.

I'd doubt you'd ever need to turn the wick up past 11-11.30 on the dial unless you have no neighbours then you could see what it'll really do...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Powerglide said:

She had a sleep over at Dr. Pete Mac's clinic last night, a few small adjustments a sponge bath and a clean bill of health was given. Suggested change of diet.

'Twas a pleasure - both to give her a once-owner and tweak, and also to finally meet you good sir! :)

@Zedamon you are in for a treat! A superb example of an AU-7900.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I started with Sansui AU999, my first Sansui unit.  Tried few different speakers like Celestion Ditton 66, KEF Concerto, Tannoy Arden and B&W804s. 

It performed really well with all of them. It was sad to let it go to welcome the monster Marantz 2600.

But my love for vintage sansui remained deep inside in my heart and been lucky to find an AU20000 recently.

On 3/2/2015 at 8:03, skippy124 said:

Creo que es solo una pausa antes de la tormenta .........

Hello skippy124, I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for your collaboration. It turns out that I have had a Sansui 317 amplifier for 6 years working in perfect condition. Now the left channel stopped working. It started with a background noise when turning it on and then it cut off (the protection relay started working), then it sounded and then it turned off. Now the left channel definitely doesn't sound.

I have checked the output transistors, resistors, capacitors and they also told me to check a capacitor that is connected parallel to the ignition swich. I've also checked the welds but I don't know what to do anymore. I know you have experience with this equipment and I would really appreciate it if you could help me. A while back I read that you repaired a Sansui amplifier.

Excuse my English

greetings and thanks

• Like 1

Hello friends, 

in my Japanese sansui au @ 707i, I modified the primary coil of the original transformer from 100 to 220V it works with a minimum noise in the transformer, for me it is fine, since it is the same noise as having a second transformer. equipment operation is normal. Regards.

• Thanks 1

Say Hello to my little friend 

IMG_0838.thumb.PNG.d7bb81ed0657d96e7eb361e046e841fa.PNG

Had this for about 6 years and never hooked it up to any decent speakers, spent all its time running some patio and ceiling mounts over the past summer months. 

A new record arrived today and had all the gear still in place from the 7900 visit so the stars aligned 

what a beautiful thing 

IMG_0837.thumb.PNG.4f77e27ec4c83447dffe0f72120508c1.PNG

Tweaked some Oak stools into makeshift stands (where are you taking those?) Big improvement, removed some booming I was getting at higher volumes, I expected a shift in sound stage but not as dramatic! especially when seated in the sweet spot.

Damm, that TV is on the loose again 

IMG_0839.thumb.PNG.a31eb6bb8ea05943cda59bb5d3beeb91.PNG

Edited by Powerglide
Added stands
  • Like 7

I just unpacked a TU-9900 and a SE-9 to test them prior to sorting them out for sale. I have had them for over 13yrs but this is the first time they have been powered up and connected. I checked they are set to 240v before powering them up - didn't want any smoke escaping.

Unfortunately, there is very poor FM reception where I am so I couldn't get the most out of the TU-9900. But with the lights on and the meters working it looks fabulous and the switches and tuning knob are soooo smooth. And for lousy reception, it sounded great.

The SE-9 is beautifully built and engineered. The auto-magic sliders move effortlessly when the presets are selected. I don't have the set-up microphone but it does come with the rack mount handles which some aficionados will appreciate.

It almost makes me want to find an amp to match!

IMG_0345.JPG

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Just turned on my first Sansui.

ÀU 517 bought from fellow SNAer. (prob should have checked what a heavy lump it is). Connected to an old CDP with old Mordant Short bookshelf speakers.

Well..... It seems the Sansui was designed before the hot signal from CD players and it takes very little on the dial to get to my modest listening level.

Online comments even to the effect it can be sent into protection mode if wound up.

9 minutes ago, eman said:

Just turned on my first Sansui.

ÀU 517 bought from fellow SNAer. (prob should have checked what a heavy lump it is). Connected to an old CDP with old Mordant Short bookshelf speakers.

Well..... It seems the Sansui was designed before the hot signal from CD players and it takes very little on the dial to get to my modest listening level.

Online comments even to the effect it can be sent into protection mode if wound up.

Congrats on your first Sansui!

If the 517 triggers the protection circuit when being driven hard, this is due to the overcurrent protection being triggered. This isn't affected by a hot signal... it's all about how hard the amp is being driven.

You can install a pair of RCA attenuators to reduce the signal level and provide more useful range on the volume dial (particularly given its a notched potentiometer which means you are forced to adjust the volume in 'clicks'. -12db works well in my experience.  The next model up (AU-717) has a -20db muting switch which is very useful when using modern sources. 

https://www.decibelhifi.com.au/harrison-lab-12db-attenuator-pair/

https://www.decibelhifi.com.au/rothwell-in-line-rca-audio-attenuators-pair/ (10 or 20db)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pete_mac said:

Congrats on your first Sansui!

If the 517 triggers the protection circuit when being driven hard, this is due to the overcurrent protection being triggered. This isn't affected by a hot signal... it's all about how hard the amp is being driven.

You can install a pair of RCA attenuators to reduce the signal level and provide more useful range on the volume dial (particularly given its a notched potentiometer which means you are forced to adjust the volume in 'clicks'. -12db works well in my experience.  The next model up (AU-717) has a -20db muting switch which is very useful when using modern sources. 

https://www.decibelhifi.com.au/harrison-lab-12db-attenuator-pair/

https://www.decibelhifi.com.au/rothwell-in-line-rca-audio-attenuators-pair/ (10 or 20db)

Thanks for the links.

I did see mention of 'attenuators'. Didn't realise how simple it would be. Might give it a go. Better digital inputs I have in mind might still benefit.

Would have thought -20db would be the go since they put that in the AU717 ?

I guess they were still not thinking of a digital input.

Did you try different levels before settling on - 12db ?

The Rothwell look much shorter than the Harrison. Do you know if that's actually the case or if it's a trick of the internet ?

Edited by eman

7 hours ago, eman said:

Thanks for the links.

I did see mention of 'attenuators'. Didn't realise how simple it would be. Might give it a go. Better digital inputs I have in mind might still benefit.

Would have thought -20db would be the go since they put that in the AU717 ?

I guess they were still not thinking of a digital input.

Did you try different levels before settling on - 12db ?

Going for -20db attenuation would give a very useful reduction in gain and increase in volume control range. I’ve checked and I actually went with -10db back in the day - via Audio Principe attenuated RCAs and also a pair of DIY jumpers between the pre-out and main-in connections. The latter attenuated the preamp output, so this would also affect the other line-level and phono inputs which may not be desirable.

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/diy-10db-attenuators.392186/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fez said:

..My first Sansui - The AU-4900.  Still remember Skippy giving me the tip about the window cleaner + WD40 regarding the faceplate.. 

DSCN5743.jpg

Thats a ultra clean faceplate. ! :o

On 07/08/2020 at 7:04 AM, pete_mac said:

Going for -20db attenuation would give a very useful reduction in gain and increase in volume control range. I’ve checked and I actually went with -10db back in the day - via Audio Principe attenuated RCAs and also a pair of DIY jumpers between the pre-out and main-in connections. The latter attenuated the preamp output, so this would also affect the other line-level and phono inputs which may not be desirable.

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/diy-10db-attenuators.392186/

Thanks. Ordered -20db.

Hooked in a TT today.

Only just completed testing to functional point but sounding fine.

• Like 1

So I have this on/off relationship with my Sansui AU-AL907 constantly comparing it to my DIY Nelson Pass B1 buffer (Volume pot) & B&O ICE 125ASX2 (power amp)

with ISO lockdown /Stage 4 in Victoria I plugged the ice class D amp back in.

How did it compare?

Well.............. with no loudness set in on the Sansui the B1 buffer & Ice module actually goes deeper in the bass and instrument separation is A LOT BETTER!!!!!

The bass isn't as warm as the Sansui. With the AU-AL907, There is a bit more........ (weight ?) in the lower frequencies but it isn't as tight  as the $200 ICE module.

At low volume and loudness tone control set in - the Sansui is sooooooo much better. I've been thinking about getting the RME DAC as it has a loudness adjustment.

I still love the Sansui as it looks better than my ugly DIY pre and power combo.

Speakers: Whatmough 202 Lead line  

Cables: Van Damme LO-CAP 55, TMC, KLOTZ MC5000, Kimber 12TC clones

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I am told there's a parcel waiting for me at the post office. 

I really hope it's another Sansui (and not the T-shirt I ordered in May, or the album I also ordered in May, COVID-19 seems to have struck Aust Post very hard indeed).

I'm heading home from work early to find out (since, again thanks to COVID-19, our local post office now closes an hour earlier than it used to).

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Luc said:

Got any blacker?

?

Yep

IMG_20200926_195040.thumb.jpg.21047b0cde96291db9eb0c8139508b8c.jpg

Got brighter ?

IMG_20200926_171848.thumb.jpg.6ec0c115414add28cb87468de1d810cc.jpg

50 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Black Night is a long way from home...?

I might just throw some Deep Purple on.....

Edited by Sansui77
  • Like 4